How to Domicile in Texas

Candlemann

We are planning to RV full time within the next few months. We're in NC, but have decided to domicile in TX. I hate asking a question that has almost certainly been asked already, but I'm having no luck finding any domicile info specific to TX here in this forum. Can anyone provide any first-hand experience with what's required?

30 minutes ago, SWharton said:

You need to look on the Escapees.com website, under education, domicile.

https://www.escapees.com/education/domicile/texas/

We did it several years ago, takes 2-3 hours for inspection, registration and DL. Your vehicles need to be inspected first before beginning the process.

Thanks for the additional info!

5 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Geez.... why would they put it in two places?  

So people who use the left side of their brain can find it as well as those who use the right side or both sides.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

5 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Geez.... why would they put it in two places?  

Actually, the subject is covered in several other articles and posts and the reason is that the subject comes up over and over and sometimes more than once by the same person. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I didn't read either of them word for word but the link I gave was composed recently on August 12, 2019 by Susie Adams/Shawn Loring (CEO of Escapees) and law partners.  In the responses at the end Georgianne, another employee, stated that they review legal documents periodically to ensure information is still accurate.  Therefore, I would take this write-up to be the most recent and accurate.

The link given by SWarton didn't have a date on it.  It may, indeed, be the same information although Loring gives a lot more description.

I would trust Loring's given it is dated and who composed it.

I just think they would go with one link and keep it updated so there's no confusion a year from now.  Even putting the same link in different place is fine but go with one.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

One of the problems is everyone assumes that the Escapees forum is the same as the Escapees web site - - it isn't.

One word of caution, if you have a rig (either motorhome or truck/5th wheel combo) over 26K lbs then it is going to take longer than 1 day to get everything done because you will need a Class A or Class B driver's license.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I have thought about Texas as a domicile and have a Class C that has a GVWR of 14,500.  I need to call Texas DMV and find out if I will need that non-commercial driver license.

Best regards,

Richard "Doc"

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF

1 hour ago, StraitRVing said:

I have thought about Texas as a domicile and have a Class C that has a GVWR of 14,500.  I need to call Texas DMV and find out if I will need that non-commercial driver license.

Best regards,

Richard "Doc"

DMV has nothing to do with driver's license.  They are administered by DPS.  Why call them when you can read it for yourself?  Classes of Driver's License

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, StraitRVing said:

You will not. The GVWR where that begins is at 26,000#.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

You will not. The GVWR where that begins is at 26,000#.

Not necessarily.  If he is pulling a trailer which is rated at 11,501 GVWR, he will need a Class A license.  That's why I posted the link.  People can read the law for themselves and see what license fits their situation.

5 hours ago, SWharton said:

The one I posted is from the official Escapees.com website. If you not noticed most items on websites do not have dates. I would think the website document would be generic and anything on a thread would be more specific to a given situation.

If you look at the link I gave you'll see that it also came from the 'official' Escapees website; not a thread.  There's a 'clicky' on the top line and go over to 'blog'.  If you click on 'blog' you'll see another 'clicky' for 'domicile'.

https://www.escapees.com/establishing-domicile-for-rvers/

I just think the whole Escapees website needs redoing.  I recommend it to others and they can't find what they're looking for.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 9/17/2019 at 5:33 AM, StraitRVing said:

Best regards,

Richard "Doc"

Guess you didn't see my post above yours - the threshold is 26001#.  Mostly DPs and some large truck/5er combos.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 9/17/2019 at 9:44 AM, chirakawa said:

DMV has nothing to do with driver's license.  They are administered by DPS.  Why call them when you can read it for yourself?  Classes of Driver's License

I am going by what I was told by a full-timer that went with the TX Domicile.  Thank you for the link.  That does help a lot.  

Edited by StraitRVing

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF