Internet

Dagomom34

First off, I'd suggest a cell data plan like one of Verizon's for when you're not in the middle of nowhere.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a HughesNet Gen 5 satellite Internet solution . . .

Satellite Internet is both slower and more expensive than cellular broadband:

HughesNet Gen 5 Speeds:

hughesnet-eval-4-graph-with-text.jpg

HughesNet Gen 5 Data Plans:

Also, you'll have to sign up a 2-year commitment.

hughesGen5pricing2X.jpg

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We also prefer camping in the sticks. But we work full-time on the web, so when we are not near cellular broadband, our rooftop deployable RV Datasat 840 is how we get online. The link goes back to our blog with all our experiences using the system.

Mobile satellite internet is not for everyone and it is not cheap, but we find it worth the investment since we must have reliable connectivity.

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

I'd try a signal booster first before spending on sat internet. Especially since it is in a position something like the dinosaurs on the Tuesday before meteor Wednesday. Musk's SpaceX and Amazon both say they are launching satellite systems and  SpaceX has actually launched the first big batch of satellites. I read a lot of boondockers actually have some cell phone signal that can be amplified.

But let me hasten to say here, I'm no expert in this field myself. We are looking at various solutions ourselves.

20 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

I'd try a signal booster first before spending on sat internet. Especially since it is in a position something like the dinosaurs on the Tuesday before meteor Wednesday. Musk's SpaceX and Amazon both say they are launching satellite systems and  SpaceX has actually launched the first big batch of satellites. I read a lot of boondockers actually have some cell phone signal that can be amplified.

But let me hasten to say here, I'm no expert in this field myself. 

So you're not an expert, but you slam current sat Internet systems and imply that Musk's SatLink is just around the corner. Classic.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

So you're not an expert, but you slam current sat Internet systems and imply that Musk's SatLink is just around the corner. Classic.

-----------------------------------------------------------

No I just suggested caution before spending $1500-6000. You could spend $400 on a cell booster and see if that is good enough. Just where did I slam Hughes anyway?! You need to improve your reading skills.

I was careful not to claim that I had special knowledge. Musk has launched 1/6 of the initial array and we can assume he'll be adding to it. Not the usual Musk vapourware in other words. Amazon has taken no concrete steps that I know of, but again I have no inside knowledge.

Edited by agesilaus

"SpaceX planning four more Falcon 9-launched Starlink missions this year, permits show"

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starlink-falcon-9-four-more-launches-2019/

"SpaceX says more Starlink orbits will speed service, reduce launch needs"

https://spacenews.com/spacex-says-more-starlink-orbits-will-speed-service-reduce-launch-needs/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Just where did I slam Hughes anyway?!

Right about here . . .

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Especially since it is in a position something like the dinosaurs on the Tuesday before meteor Wednesday.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

54 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Some middles-of-nowhere have Verizon coverage, some don't.  If you can limit yourself to those, a phone may be just fine.

There's a good chance you may not know until you get there.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

LWD, I’ve been looking real hard at the RVDataSat solution.  I too am still working, and I’m in the WiFi business working remotely.  We consume a lot of data (about 600 GB streaming Netflix, video conferencing, etc) monthly.  At our summer location I have great WiFi and no bandwidth restrictions or problems.  This winter we’re going to another site in FL, and I’m going to have to either rein in DW or come up with an alternative.  

Did you do the install yourself or did you pay to have it done?  I’m looking at their Option 4 ($99/month-to-month).  Are there any other fees, etc?

What UL/DL speeds are you typically getting?

Edited by Jim1521

37 minutes ago, Zulu said:

This is a cellular data plan. Who's the carrier?

They don't say, but the Pepwave router they use is unlocked so any carrier's SIM should work. I'm not sure just which model it is, but it could be one of the BR1's that accept multiple SIM's with failover. Obviously knowing who they're using for your account would be an important question to ask before signing up.

Dutch

18 minutes ago, Jim1521 said:

yes, that is correct.  I don't recall who it's currently with.  When I spoke with them, they said they were negotiating with all four of the major carriers in the US.

Ok, so you'll still have areas where cell data isn't available no matter what router or amplifier you use. In that case, then check out Millenicom.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

28 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Ok, so you'll still have areas where cell data isn't available no matter what router or amplifier you use. In that case, then check out Millenicom.

??? No cell data is no cell data no matter what carrier you want to use.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

2 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

??? No cell data is no cell data no matter what carrier you want to use.

Yep. My point is OP should consider satellite Internet if he's going to be "in the middle of nowhere" a lot.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

23 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Some middles-of-nowhere have Verizon coverage, some don't.  If you can limit yourself to those, a phone may be just fine.

20 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

There's a better chance you will if you consult the Verizon coverage map.

Some remote spots like the Rio Grande Gorge have AT&T and no Verizon. Coverage Maps may not tell the whole story of actual field conditions. Using the same example of the Rio Grande Gorge AT&T cellular connectivity can go from zero to excellent with each turn in the river. A spot near the end of the road into the gorge actually gets better connectivity than some spots closer to town and the main highway.

13 hours ago, Zulu said:

Yep. My point is OP should consider satellite Internet if he's going to be "in the middle of nowhere" a lot.

If satellite internet is anything like satellite TV and radio, terrain will affect the ability to get a clear view of the satellite(s). We have been unable to get satellite TV in areas of NM, AZ, UT, KY and WV that I can recall. Is satellite internet affected by trees as much as satellite TV is? We find that getting satellite TV when camping in the National Forests can be a challenge. I have had 300' of cable out in some spots to get a clear shot at the single satellite that our system uses.

Yes, sat Internet is subject to the same clear view and weather issues as TV. That said, with our Dish subscription and both eastern and western arc portable dish capability, we have not landed on a site yet where I couldn't get service from one arc or the other. Unfortunately, sat Internet doesn't have similar flexibility...

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yes, sat Internet is subject to the same clear view and weather issues as TV. That said, with our Dish subscription and both eastern and western arc portable dish capability, we have not landed on a site yet where I couldn't get service from one arc or the other. Unfortunately, sat Internet doesn't have similar flexibility...

OP, unlike Dutch and trailertraveler who only have sat TV, I've had sat TV for about 15 years and sat Internet for about 2 years.

Though sat TV and sat Internet both use dishes and both aim at satellites, I've found the similarity pretty much ends there. First and foremost, sat Internet uses much bigger dishes. For example, the rooftop Winegard Travler dish (which is just a 1000.2) is about 26". On the other hand, my HughesNet Gen 5 dish is .98 m (38.5"). That's a whopping difference in dish area and consequently in the ability to acquire satellites.

hughesnet_11-dish-vs-hughesnet-front2.jp

Like sat TV, I experienced some rain fade on the big HughesNet dish while camping in the mountains near Yosemite, but it wasn't significant enough to degrade my sat signal.

indianflat05.jpg

Less than ideal sat Internet dish position

2 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

Is satellite internet affected by trees as much as satellite TV is? We find that getting satellite TV when camping in the National Forests can be a challenge. I have had 300' of cable out in some spots to get a clear shot at the single satellite that our system uses.

You would probably have to do the same thing for a sat Internet dish. However, the larger sat Internet dish should make it easier to acquire a signal . . . and you only have to acquire ONE of two possible satellites with HughesNet Gen 5 (typically Echostar 19 @ 97.1W).

Edited by Zulu

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On 9/15/2019 at 3:28 PM, Dagomom34 said:

I need a  reliable internet connection before i can consider full time. Any help appreciated.

It doesn't appear that you have been back to see what has been suggested, but if you are still reading this I suggest that you also consider the Wifi Ranger equipment.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI