USPS making important changes to the Hold Mail process

Al F

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The postmistress in Lindale, TX told me last spring that even when you put in an address change or a forwarding order at your local office, an employee then types it into the computer in very similar fashion to what you would if doing it online. She also said that all mail sorting is done at the central sorting center and it arrives at the local office, presorted by carrier and is only corrected if your carrier happens to notice some problem. I'm not sure if that is true for help mail as well. 

From my experience over the last 7 years, the "hold mail" is local to your post office and mail carrier.  When you go online and submit your hold mail request someone prints out a 8x11 sheet of paper to put where your carrier picks up your mail.  If that doesn't happen then your carrier doesn't know you submitted a hold mail request.

About mail forwarding.  The yellow sticker with your new address gets put on your mail at one of the automated mail sorting facilities close to the origin point of the mailing.  I believe there is an exception when mail originates in the same local area and doesn't get to an automated sorting facility.  Then it would get to your local post office.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Did anyone else get a PM from member "natash223" not wanted a reply via PM, just via email.  No question from her to answer, just wanted a reply.   Also no member content in the member info area.  

I am wondering if she is phishing for email addresses?   I did "report" the PM.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Al F said:

Did anyone else get a PM from member "natash223" not wanted a reply via PM, just via email.  No question from her to answer, just wanted a reply.   Also no member content in the member info area.  

I also reported it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, Al F said:

Got it, reported it, then deleted it. That's a textbook "phishing" attempt.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I was finally able to sign up for Informed Delivery.  Just read through their FAQs and found out that when we put in a temporary change of address before we head south for the winter, ID will not continue because the Escapees' mail forwarding zip code is not eligible for ID.  Bummer...I was really beginning to like the service.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Got signed in/up finally. I received my 20 digit verification code by snail-mail Friday. Each individual at the same address may  use the verification code-up to 5 people, to create their own mail hold or informed delivery.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

20 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Got signed in/up finally. I received my 20 digit verification code by snail-mail Friday. Each individual at the same address may  use the verification code-up to 5 people, to create their own mail hold or informed delivery.

???  I have not received any verification code...?  As far as I know, the Informed Delivery I signed up for is for both myself and DH.

16 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Save that as you will need it to remove the temporary forwarding order.

Why would a verification code for Informed Delivery have anything to do with a forwarding order? 

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

6 hours ago, LindaH said:

???  I have not received any verification code...?  As far as I know, the Informed Delivery I signed up for is for both myself and DH.

Why would a verification code for Informed Delivery have anything to do with a forwarding order? 

During the sign-up process, for verification it asks for your mobile phone #(which I do not have) or your verification code be sent by mail; I opted to receive mine by mail. The letter I received with my code also says:

"The invitation code listed above can be used up to five times by anyone 18 years of age or older who resides at your physical address. Please note that for your privacy and security this invitation code corresponds to your address only and should not be used by anyone who does not reside at this address. This code will expire on 02/07/2020."

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

17 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

During the sign-up process, for verification it asks for your mobile phone #(which I do not have) or your verification code be sent by mail; I opted to receive mine by mail. The letter I received with my code also says:

OK, I vaguely remember getting a text, but I think it was a number I entered to complete the sign-up process.  At any rate, I did not keep it. 

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul