Windows 10 1903: Microsoft details search fix as new update bug hits

RV_

Well it seems Microsoft's new this year update system and development cycle is as broken as the Apple system was earlier, but at least Microsoft (MS)admits they screwed up when asked instead of clamming up like Apple still does. They are even including Linux systems within Windows 10!

But they can't get their new this year updates to work or to fix the bugs in one try. Read the full article to see if an issue you are having is one from the botched updates,

Excerpt:

" Now Windows 10 version 1903 users are reporting fresh audio problems, wrecking hit multiplayer games like PUBG.

After Microsoft's botched attempt to fix a Cortana-related bug affecting Windows 10 versions 1903, the company has now posted a help article telling users how to fix the problem it created. 

This week, Microsoft released some fixes in its Patch Tuesday update that were meant to address CPU spiking issues, but which also ended up breaking Windows Search and search on the Start menu. As Microsoft explained on Tuesday, the latest update was meant to address high CPU usage from the SearchUi.exe process in Cortana that "only occurs on devices that have disabled searching the web using Windows Desktop Search".

Microsoft has acknowledged the new search issues on the Windows 10 1903 issues page and on Wednesday posted a support article, titled "Fix problems in Windows Search", that applies to all versions of Windows 10. 

On top of search problems, some Windows 10 1903 users are experiencing audio problems after installing KB4515384, as noted by Windows Latest.

For example, on installed games, such as PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG), bass is gone and sound is dampened. The problem seemingly affects installed games and apps, but not sound from browser apps like YouTube.  

"This is horrible, was playing now, the guy was in front of me, shot me, it looked like he was far away from me, steps is impossible to identify, the shots are confused to know if they are far or near," wrote AdsonF. 

"I have the exact same issue, Overwatch is super muffed. I can barely hear anything," complained another user."

There's much more, including screen shots and hot links to related fixes in the ZDNet article here: 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-1903-microsoft-details-search-fix-as-new-update-bug-hits/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I use a desktop PC to stream video to my TV.  Audio to my sound system goes via a Behrenger UCA202 USB sound card, which gives greater definition than the stock audio output.  Evaluating audio quality was a part of my previous life so I can appreciate the differences.

Anyway, since the latest Windows update the Behrenger has been delivering low level clicks and pops whenever the video changes.  Not enough to be bothersome when audio is present, but noticeable when there is no audio.

I haven't decided if this is worth rolling back the update or just put up with it until Microsoft issues a fix.

Edited by Lou Schneider

For reasons I don't understand, my laptop gave me the option of not installing 1903 until I wanted to (my wife's laptop didn't offer that option.)  With all the issues relating to 1903 I'm in no hurry to install it!   FWIW my wife's laptop has been fine with it.  😎

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

This causes me to consider clicking the option of pausing updates for 7 days after release. Then again, I may  be just spitting into the wind.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

13 hours ago, Pieere said:

🙄  If I am correct someone said this wasn't an Apple forum! 😆

I lost the meaning, please explain.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Joel,

I had no issues until today here. I am not seeing some of the icons but know what they are and the placeholder icon works fine.

Today there is more word on Microsoft's continuing Charlie Foxtrot with their updates:

Windows 10 1903 problems: Now Microsoft reverts change that muffled audio

Microsoft's attempt to squish one bug exposes several more. Fixes are coming but users struggle.

Pierre, this forum is for all operating systems and computers questions and interesting computer news and malware alerts.

I've said in my threads when a Linux person or Apple user comes in just to be a troll with a comment intended to convince their OS is not subject to problems as a gloat intended to trigger a defensive response in a Windows thread of mine. I just do Windows and Android phones, Moto Z3 for both of us.

I've encouraged Apple and Linux users to start threads here to help their fellow users but they don't.

Anyone is free to open a new thread about any OS on this forum. I will sometimes comment when false information about Windows is passed along in an Apple or Linux thread. And if I can find an answer to help I'll chime in with my source.  But never a troll about how Windows is better. They all suck when we have a problem, regardless of if we are the only ones or one of millions. <wink>

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

19 hours ago, RV_ said:

Joel,

I had no issues until today here. I am not seeing some of the icons but know what they are and the placeholder icon works fine.

Today there is more word on Microsoft's continuing Charlie Foxtrot with their updates:

Windows 10 1903 problems: Now Microsoft reverts change that muffled audio

Pierre, this forum is for all operating systems and computers questions and interesting computer news and malware alerts.

I've said in my threads when a Linux person or Apple user comes in just to be a troll with a comment intended to convince their OS is not subject to problems as a gloat intended to trigger a defensive response in a Windows thread of mine. I just do Windows and Android phones, Moto Z3 for both of us.

I've encouraged Apple and Linux users to start threads here to help their fellow users but they don't.

Anyone is free to open a new thread about any OS on this forum. I will sometimes comment when false information about Windows is passed along in an Apple or Linux thread. And if I can find an answer to help I'll chime in with my source.  But never a troll about how Windows is better. They all suck when we have a problem, regardless of if we are the only ones or one of millions. <wink>

Just to inform you there is no TROLL here! All I said: I liked Linux better and was going to give Apple a try! The same as I use Opera and Duck-Duck-Go! 

Edited by Pieere
Add on

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Pierre,
That's a burr under your saddle. I'm sorry. You're a good guy too. Now can we continue talking about the ongoing Windows update issues please.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Windows 10: Has Microsoft cleaned up its update mess? (Spoiler: Maybe)

Here's some new clarification from my favorite tech writer Ed Bott

Excerpt:

" After its botched release of the version 1809 update for Windows 10 last year, Microsoft instituted a sweeping series of changes to Windows Update. Don't be fooled by the headlines: A close look at recent issues with version 1903 suggests those changes are paying off.

In a perfect world, every software release would be packed with productivity-enhancing features and completely free of bugs. Alas, we do not live in a perfect world. (You've looked around lately, right?)

One of the realities of software engineering for products at the scale of Microsoft Windows is that you can't catch every bug before you ship. Instead, the goal should be to prioritize the detection of high-impact bugs so that they never reach customers and to develop a quick-response strategy for dealing with those issues that do make it to the general public.

That was the thinking behind the sweeping changes in Windows Update that Microsoft announced late last year after a series of embarrassing bugs forced the company to pull its October 2018 Update (version 1809) just days after its release. The changes include a more cautious rollout approach, expanded options for pausing updates, and more disclosure of known issues.

That last change, alas, is a double-edged sword for Microsoft. The new "release health dashboard" is a tremendous resource for IT pros and cautious Windows 10 administrators, but it's also a treasure trove for content-hungry tech websites.

In fact, if you scan recent headlines following the release of version 1903, you might conclude that the latest Windows 10 release is plagued with quality issues. I can practically hear the critics now: "It's a mess! Just look at all these bugs!"

So, I did exactly that. After looking at those issues and their resolution in more detail, a different story emerges. Consider these five bugs, all of which resulted in coverage at ZDNet and elsewhere."

Bug 1: Windows Desktop Search may not return any results and may have high CPU usage.

Bug 2: Screenshots and Snips have an unnatural orange tint.

Bug 3: Audio in certain games is quieter or different than expected.

Bug 4: Some NEC devices have Wi-Fi incompatibility issues.

Bug 5: Additional issues related to the Start menu and Windows Desktop Search

"Of course, the easiest way to avoid this sort of issue is to wait another few months before installing version 1903. In the most significant change of all to Windows Update, this feature update is now optional for all Windows 10 editions (including Home edition) and will only be installed automatically on PCs that are running an unsupported version of Windows 10 that is well over a year old.

Version 1809, despite its rocky start, is probably the best choice for admins who prefer a cautious approach. And it's comforting to know that the upcoming 1909 release will be light on updated features, making it far more likely that it will avoid many of these teething issues from the start."

The full article is here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-has-microsoft-cleaned-up-its-update-mess-spoiler-maybe/

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I think that many laptops have their own proprietary performance systems - such as Dell and Lenovo come with built-in optimization "health" systems.  I read that the Lenovo optimization system (called "Vantage") needed to be upgrade first before the Windows update - otherwise problems would occur.

I did the Lenovo proprietary system upgrade first, then let Windows do it's upgrade (several weeks ago) and no problems so far.
YMMV

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

It should go without saying that manufacturer updates to firmware and software need to be checked and done as well.

My wife's main system is a four year old Lenovo All In One. Lenovo had some serious issues with several of their proprietary programs. I manually updated them from the Lenovo website and have seen no reported issues/vulnerabilities since.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998