trostberg

Info on Salton Sea Please

Has anyone volunteered at the Salton Sea?   I would like to know how your experience was at the visitor center.   I may be looking at Feb - May for 3 months.

Thank you

We've volunteered a lot for national and state areas.  We would never consider Salton Sea.  It can be very smelly at times & Feb-March will be hot.  It wouldn't be very busy as it's not a destination anymore.  Not much around there.  There is birding if that's your interest.  Have you ever been there?  I would recommend doing that before a 3-month committment.  Just our take.

2 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

We've volunteered a lot for national and state areas.  We would never consider Salton Sea.  It can be very smelly at times & Feb-March will be hot.  It wouldn't be very busy as it's not a destination anymore.  Not much around there.  There is birding if that's your interest.  Have you ever been there?  I would recommend doing that before a 3-month committment.  Just our take.

I think I once read MX used to use it as a sewage lagoon?

they still do.

there is a small "river" crossing the boarder flowing north from mexico into the USA, that is very highly polluted and it dumps into the salton evaporation pond. (no outlet so the toxins get to stay there).

i say avoid this area if at all possible.

want to stay there,  bring in everything including lots of water,  and never buy from any source within 100 miles of the place.

a generation back it was the place to be.   but not now.

15 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Have you ever been there?  I would recommend doing that before a 3-month committment.  Just our take.

Mine also. 

Same as several other posters have stated, check out the area first before doing a commitment. Also check to see how far a grocery run would be. We use RT 86 sometimes from El Centro to I-10 and at times the odor is bad. There was a housing development started on the west side of RT 86, cheap lots and very few have sold.

I have been there and it was not smelly when I was there.  Sounds like it is not a healthy place to be for any length of time.  I knew that from my visit for the wildlife but it is extending to us humans too.    Hope other natural places do not end up like this.