Barbara

Barbara

Do you have the 3.6L engine and tow option? IF so max is 5000 pounds.  Look on your door for the GVWR, this is the max the Transverse can weigh.  Look for GCWR, this is the max the Traverse plus the trailer can weigh.

Now here's the most import thing to find. How much does the Traverse weigh with a full tank, three adults, three dogs and cargo in the back. Are these NFL linemen and mastiffs or size 0 petite models and pugs? You cannot go by printed material as every option added reduces cargo capacity.  Load up and go to a truck stop to get weighed, cost less than $20 last time I did it.

Once you know the real curb weight fully loaded, minus it from GVWR. The difference will be the max tongue weight the trailer can add.  I would not run at or near max, I always want a safety margin.

for a travel trailer you want 10% to 15% of the total weight to be on tongue.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

Welcome to the Escapee forums. With any version of that vehicle you will be very limited in what you can safely tow. From Cheverolet:

Trailering Capacity
(lb. / kg):

5000 / 2268 (3.6L with avail. trailering pkg.)

1500 / 680 (2.0L with avail. trailering pkg.)

If you have one of the front wheel drive models you will be limited to a maximum towing weight of 1500# which means a small popup trailer is about the limit. If you have an all wheel drive with a V-6 and towing package you are then safe with up to 5000# of RV, which still limits you to something around 20' maximum length if it is an ultral lite trailer. It is critical that you keep these weights in mind when you shop for an RV as if you exceed them you will find it very difficult to control and tiring to drive. If conditions get difficult you will be in danger if you try to tow too much. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think you will find this TT towing calculator quite accurate and helpful when deciding what travel trailer your towing vehicle will safely handle.

Please note, some boxes require actual weights instead of published figures.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Given the replies she received, this may be a moment of truth for her, or as a professor  once said, " that was a significant emotional event." It will take time for her to process all the information, and I expect her return after that happens.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

In our owner's manuals for our vehicles, it lists information on towing, so that is where I would start.  This is a good website for becoming familiar with the terminology, etc. when it comes to RVing explaining stuff in a user friendly manner:  http://changingears.com/  Also, if the trailer is going to be just for weekends or vacations, there might be something that would work, but if 1500 lb limit, looking at something "barebones" in a pop-up or something like a mini-camper (basically a place to sleep) like the Runaway Campers, Escapade campers, and Aliner has come out with a new family unit that is mostly beds and nothing else although I couldn't get a weight on that.  We just need to better understand what Barbara's needs are.   It can be really intimidating to be a "newbie" among those that are experienced.  We bought our first pop-up used a couple of blocks from our house in 1984!

Cathy