Garmin maps update

Twotoes

I have a Garmin 770 RV LMT with free lifetime maps.  I got it last year at Camping World. Went to update the maps and the unit would not connect to WiFi. I went online and Googled Garmin, clicked on their Customer Service link, called the toll free number, and got a guy on the phone who had a heavy Indian accent. I asked him if he was in India and he said no, I’m in Florida. We talked about the hurricane and then he asked my for my email address, phone number and the serial number of my Garmin. He said I had not registured my unit and he would do it for me but there was a fee of $99.99. I told him that I had free lifetime updates. He insisted I had to pay. I hung up and got out my paperwork from the box the unit came in. Found another phone number for Garmin. Called it and was told to press 1 for auto, 2 for boat etc, 7 for RV related items. A man answered and I explained to him what happened. He advised me that they have been having problems with Web Sites imposing as Garmin and this was a scam. Their updates are free. He said the the unit I got from CW had real old software and that was why mine would not connect to WiFi. He walked me thru connecting on a desktop and downloading the newer software and maps. It took about 2 to 3 hours. I thought that I was safe since I made the call and didn’t think that the first Web Site number was a fake.  So beware of Web Sites imposing as a real companies Web Site, especially for Garmin. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

You need to plug it into a computer, as I do not think you can wirelessly download maps or updates. I update mine plunging it into my laptop and using the Garmin express app to up date the firmware and maps. I heard that you need to update once a year or you lose your lifetime updates. Not sure it is true. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Not sure about all models but the 770 can update maps without being plugged into a computer. You just go to settings and click on update maps, it will ask you to connect to WiFi. My software was too old a version and I had to plug into a computer to update the software before I could update the maps. Garmin told me that Camping World units are often sitting in a warehouse for a long time and this is why my software was the older version. I just was unlucky and got a imposter web site when I tried to contact Garmin. Thankfully I had their real phone number in my paperwork. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

On 9/4/2019 at 7:12 AM, Twotoes said:

Not sure about all models but the 770 can update maps without being plugged into a computer. You just go to settings and click on update maps, it will ask you to connect to WiFi.

I have the 660 version of that same Garmin and as of yesterday it still requires a wifi connection to update maps and software. I installed Garmin Express back when I registered my previous GPS with lifetime maps and then just added the RV660 when we upgraded to it. When I activate Garmin Express with wifi available it goes online and connects to Garmin automatically and tells me if there are any updates available. If I connect my RV660 to the computer, Garmin Express will pop up automatically and no fake people have any opportunity to get in the way. 

It has to connect to the Garmin organization in some way if it is to get any data of any kind. I guess it could use cell phone if you somehow tie that in. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, I did plug in my Garmin into the computer via the USB cable supplied but it did not connect to Garmin because the computer, which was in the visitor room of the RV Park, did not have Garmin Express. When I Googled Garmin I got the imposter web site. The imposter had me download Garmin Express to the Parks computer, so all looked kosher until he wanted $99.99 to registure my Garmin. That’s when I hung up and called Garmin using the phone number on my documents that came with the box. Now that the official Garmin has updated the software on my unit via Garmin Express, I do not need to connect to a computer. I only need to click on settings on my GPS, click on update maps, and connect to WiFi to update my maps. I guess the weak link in the chain was that the computer I was using did not already have the the Garmin Express app installed. I needed to update the software on my GPS in order to update my maps via WiFi. My Mac Book also had older Mac software and would not update my Garmin, that’s why I was using the Parks computer. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer