where to camp

packnrat

in june i plan on going to the escapade in spring creek wy, but doing a side trip on the way there to flaming gorge.

my mom wants to go, here is the rub, she can not walk very good nor far. has any out there been to any of the camp grounds in this area? thinking  green lakes through ceder springs areas.

might see about some kind of "off road" wheel chair.

Are you thinking of the town of Green River, WY when you said " thinking  green lakes through ceder springs areas?" If you can be a little bit more specific in what you are asking, we may be able to help as I am pretty familiar with the area but it has been some years since we were last there. Also, when you sign up to attend Escapade, you may want to reserve a handicap site as there are some sites reserved for this use. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

i did believe i was a bit specific as i said "flaming gorge" (so not green river wy---its green lakes in utah.) south east of manila through the dagget and red canyon areas to the bridge and dam.  about as good as i get for names of places off google earth. along hwy's 44 and 191.

Edited by packnrat

Here's a description of the Green Lakes national forest campground  and if you Google it you can find a lot of photos.  Since it mentions 'grassy' and lakeside I would think it's fairly flat within the campground itself.  We've stayed at Fire Fighter's campground at Flaming Gorge and it was a huge flat area.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ashley/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=72179&actid=29

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

thank you  2gypsies as i did not have a correct name for a campground in that area.

yes my mom needs flat, no hills or angles, heck even stairs keep her out..

thinking one, maybe two nights there then a easy drive (with view stops) up to rock springs.

if i still have this work bid then as i do now, will be off work monday at 4:30 am, (but must sleep that day), then out of town by 3 am tuesday. (through the sac area before the commuters get out on the roads) first night would be a easy 12-14 hr drive, (couple stops), then camp at a mt lake south of wells nv. then thursday-friday see this flaming gorge area.

never been to any kind of organized rv event let alone a mass deal. so hoping get there a day early to maybe get a pick of a "better" spot for my mom.

1 hour ago, packnrat said:

never been to any kind of organized rv event let alone a mass deal. so hoping get there a day early to maybe get a pick of a "better" spot for my mom.

If you haven't reserved a handicapped spot in advance at an Escapade you are not likely to get one just by showing up. They tend to be VERY limited in number.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

need to talk with my mom first. but plan on doing the res within a couple weeks.

yesterday was my sat. got home around 7:am ( started at 4:pm sunday)  slept till 8:pm.

today she is off with her boyfriend.   just is never much if any free time these days.

but yes i do know early reg is mandatory. also want to add in one day/night up front.

try to beat the traffic.  then watch the show as some try to park.

19 hours ago, packnrat said:

but yes i do know early reg is mandatory. also want to add in one day/night up front.

try to beat the traffic.  then watch the show as some try to park.

Handicap campsites will be limited but there should be plenty of full hookup sites for all who attend. The parking team and security team will be there to start parking attendees on Friday and that is usually the lowest traffic day of the 3 arrival days. We park RVs from 8 am unti 2 pm on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Since actual planning for 2020 is just starting to take place, my information comes from past years but we generally park closest in first and work our way out s an early arrival usually will mean you will be closer to the events. Registration on line will begin on Tuesday, September 10.

One more thought. I have always stayed an extra night after the Escapade is over to avoid the rush to get away. If you do not wish to stay the extra night, those who wait until after lunch to leave have much less traffic to deal with. While there is a team in place to help you park when you arrive, the departure is pretty much a freeforall. 

Edited by Kirk W
another thought

yes i was planing on being there friday afternoon. but you say the gates are open in the am, so will be there earlier.

as to staying a extra day? would like to go see Yellowstone before it blow up and kills us all  (said tung in cheek).

but then that says i must take three weeks off work. (if i have the same work days as now, i work weekends) not sure if i can afford that long of a trip, or if worse yet, my mom could handle that much away from her bed and Dr's. a 25 foot fiver has no privacy. or much room to stretch out in. and she does not like the ride of a 3/4 ton truck.

the trip is going to be a doozy no matter the outcome.

7 hours ago, packnrat said:

i was planing on being there friday afternoon. but you say the gates are open in the am, so will be there earlier.

as to staying a extra day?

If you are into really early arrivals, we officially start parking at 8 am but there are nearly always 2 or 3 RVs at the entry waiting by 7:30 and as soon as all team members are ready we start to bring them in so you can arrive pretty much any time after about 7 am but would have to wait for everything to be ready. The parking team & security team both start to prep at 7 am on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. 

As to the extra day, in my job I will be there a week before Escapade and stay until everyone leaves. Along with the directors and their assistants, we are the last to leave. The directors & assistants are usually there for more than a month and staff positions arrive at various dates, depending on the position duties. Most staff leave on Friday or Saturday with the last out on Sunday. 

Edited by Kirk W

We always arrive a day or 2 early, sometimes there is an extra class from  vendor we want to take. We like to stay an extra day so we are behind the mass exodus that will fill up campgrounds. Many times we have just moved over to the fairgrounds RV park and stayed an extra 2-3 days.

When you sign up all these options(other than moving to the fairgrounds RV park) will be available.

I think, in your situation, I would arrive early to get a good site but not stay the whole week so as to get Mom home again. It's a price you pay for being a good son or daughter. You'll get another chance to go toEscapade when Mom is no longer going with you.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

i do not know how much longer she will be alive. but i do believe she will be around longer than she can do much of anything.

so yes this year. maybe one or two after it will be a nevermore then.

my dad died do to ms a decade back. almost all the rest of the family is gone. so i try to take care of my mom.

i try to do things with her, but it is getting harder, lack of money, and she just falls asleep during any trip. and complains big time of pain just sitting in the truck.  but my fear is not her death, but her memory. i fear one day she just will not know me or anyone any longer.

but for now she just keeps falling down. she lives in a "independent" apt right now.  (carehome soon?), but due to there gouging might have to move her into my little house. where she would be alone, up to 24 hrs a day. (my work hrs are loong).

My sister is going through this right now with my mom.  We spent part of the summer spelling her.  She has hospice help 2 days a week and a home health care worker once or twice a week.  Mom now just mainly sleeps and is slowly fading away.  Her goal was her 97th birthday, which she made this week, and to die in the bed daddy made for her as a wedding present in 1941.  My sister,  with help, is trying to make that happen.  We would have stayed longer, but we have a couple health issues that need to be addressed soon, so have started back towards Arizona. 

I canl’t say enough about the help see is getting, it has been truly fantastic. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

There are social services programs to help with the cost of that.

Linda

Definitely.  If her funds are low there is help out there.  Contact social services.  You'd be surprised the help you can get with probably no cost.  Take the time to go and talk to them.  It would be worth it for both of you.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

16 hours ago, packnrat said:

but for now she just keeps falling down. she lives in a "independent" apt right now.  (carehome soon?), but due to there gouging might have to move her into my little house. where she would be alone, up to 24 hrs a day. (my work hrs are loong).

If your mom were to move into a long term care facility where the cost exceeds her income, Medicade will pay the shortfall as long as there are not assets that would pass to an heir upon her passing. My mother had to go into that type situation due to dementia and her money ran out so Medicare stepped in. As I remember her total financial assets had to be down around $2000 for that to happen, but in her case it paid her bills for about 3 years. 

6 hours ago, packnrat said:

her government subsidized apt management says she has too much income. wants to double her rent.

Such care is expensive but it is there 24/7 and it covers all of the needs. My mother's care was $110/day back in 2000 and in the first years I thought it excessive but by her final months the cost was clearly justified. 

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

If your mom were to move into a long term care facility where the cost exceeds her income, Medicade will pay the shortfall as long as there are not assets that would pass to an heir upon her passing. My mother had to go into that type situation due to dementia and her money ran out so Medicare stepped in. As I remember her total financial assets had to be down around $2000 for that to happen, but in her case it paid her bills for about 3 years. 

Dave's mother did that too. His father transferred ownership of things that had been joint property into just his name to facilitate that but you have to do that some number of years before becoming eligible.

Linda

My grandfather put everything in my mom’s name when his colon cancer returned in 1959.  He came to live with us for a year and then into a nursing home for the last 6 months.  My father put everything in mom’s name about a year before he died while they were RVing in the California desert, and mom has done the same with my sister and I when she moved in with my sister 6 years ago.  Even though there’s a will, it makes things go faster. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

only thing of any value my mom owns is a cheap car. apt full of clutter junk. i am her only heir. so i know what she has. and just a couple things i would keep. the rest given to others in the building where she lives. (i have no use for them). announce the free stuff, and they would come crawling out of the woodwork to get something.

yes we have talked about a care home, it will happen in a short number of years. she knows this and is about ready. just not this year.

Edited by packnrat