Full Timers warning

jgilliam1955

For you folks who full time. We were sitting by the fire with the owner of a RV park. ( We were spending the week.)

He brought up the full timers helps keep the lights on during the winter. He also said the IRS called him & wanted a list of people who were full timers. He told them he had no full timers just people who pay month to month. Someone stopped by & interviewed his full timers & they told him they were not full timers but rented month to month.

So something is up with the government. Be careful out there.

“Rarely on the same wavelength”?  Wow!!  We have shared many a fireside chat, a beer, or dinner with RV Park owners and have found most of them engaging and considerate.......and conservative.  

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

I've had many a pleasant chat with park owners as well. I wonder if the IRS interest is in those fulltimers that are permanent residents of parks rather than those of use that travel regularly. I have no idea why that would matter to them though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Sounds like the park owner is being audited by the IRS or other state or local taxing agency. Fulltimers have to worry about domicile and whehter they file income tax in their state of domicile, if required. IRS doesnt care where or if you pay state tax. Fulltimer RV status does not affect your fiing status with the IRS. 

IRS won't call you or come knocking un-announced on your door (whether in a house or RV). IRS will send you letters. They dont email or call. Lots of scams out there, don't fall for them. Any IRS agent should give you their badge number before you answer any questions in person - ofcourse by then you will have gotten many many letters and you already know what they want and what's going on.... Always consult IRS.gov if you have questions, or want to know your  rights, unless you have a trusted tax professional by your side. Be ware of scams.

2019 Newmar Ventana, pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Depending on the state, if you spend XX time in state, they want you to move your domicile there.  California, Connecticut, come to mind with this.  Montana was interested in us when were were there for 60 days working.  It's all about the tax dollars.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

9 hours ago, jgilliam1955 said:

For you folks who full time. We were sitting by the fire with the owner of a RV park. ( We were spending the week.)

He brought up the full timers helps keep the lights on during the winter. He also said the IRS called him & wanted a list of people who were full timers. He told them he had no full timers just people who pay month to month. Someone stopped by & interviewed his full timers & they told him they were not full timers but rented month to month.

So, what exactly are you warning us to do, or not do, or say, or not say?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

11 hours ago, jgilliam1955 said:

Did it ever occur to you that the park owner had mixed up state revenue enforcement officers with federal officials.   Lots of states inquire as to the length of time people have been in RV parks, especially if the state is revenue hungry.   The federal government doesn't care if you life in x or y state, just that you pay your federal taxes.     

Why do you buy conspiracy theories like this.  Don't you ever question something that doesn't sound right?   You must learn that or you will be taken advantage of over and over again.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

11 hours ago, chirakawa said:

So, what exactly are you warning us to do, or not do, or say, or not say?

Notince also that this was his first post and he has not returned. Like Bob, I have serious doubts about this ever having happened. 

13 hours ago, Bill&Anneli said:

IRS won't call you or come knocking un-announced on your door (whether in a house or RV). IRS will send you letters.

.................. Always consult IRS.gov if you have questions, or want to know your  rights, 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Remember there are two types of fulltimer.

Those who work for a living, following the job(s). And are those who are retired, following Grandchildren, seeing old friends and relatives that live all over the nation.

Everyone assumes the government to be Federal, but also the State, Cities, and any taxing body is Government including Schools. There are all GREEDY.

Clay Retired worker 15 years and 8 years retired from part time work. Was Full Time RV'er over 2 years parking in a lot driveways. Is the IRS (who ever they are) looking at the long driveways also??? I suspect the school system is looking children to school.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

15 hours ago, Bill&Anneli said:

IRS won't call you or come knocking un-announced on your door (whether in a house or RV). IRS will send you letters. They dont email or call.

This was my thought, too, when I read the OP.  If this really happened, it was a scam...just like when people get telephone calls from the "IRS" saying they owe money and to pay right now or they'd send the cops after them.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I was a licenced water treatment operator for many campgrounds, so was familiar with some of the goings on.. The only people that were interested in the campers were the local school boards. Tax guy was only interested in the one collecting the money, not the one paying.

IRS or INS?  I remember a story where a hotel gave a list of names to immigration authorities:  https://www.npr.org/2018/11/06/664737581/motel-6-agrees-to-pay-millions-after-giving-guest-lists-to-immigration-authoriti  and it didn't work out for Motel 6.  

So many scams now.  I don't answer questions about neighbors/other residents to anyone outside the neighborhood/RV park that comes snooping around as it could present a real danger to someone. 

A lot of people have tried to go under the radar for various reasons, and someone looking for them giving a call here and there to snoop around................. 

Cathy

Once I was in a park in central Texas and the revenooers, state I believe, drove through to check tags. Evidently if your RV is in Texas long enough you have to register it in Texas. Nothing ever came of it. 

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

I have enough trouble minding my own business without borrowing.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I don't know for sure...but the Census is gearing up for next year. 

They collect a list of HOMES and full-time residents so next year those are the sites they visit for the COUNT. They also GPS the new roads which become part of YOUR GPS system in a few years. In 2021, they will re-visit the sites that they did NOT have returns from people.

In the 2010 cycle, I did the whole thing....since my wife was working for them and I figured I might as well do it too.

The re-visit sites are the most fun. In my case, I got the National Forest areas and there was ONE cabin that ceased to exist. It was a mining claim that the Forest Service finally "removed" and demolished the cabin. Hey, I said...."I remember that one". They wouldn't take my word...had to go get a "current" FS employee to say that demolished the cabin.

Just because your paranoid......doesn't mean that somebody is NOT out to get you. I suspect thought it isn't the government.

But really folks.....the government doesn't really cares about a bunch of old farts living out their years.

"

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

1 hour ago, Vladimir said:

I don't know for sure...but the Census is gearing up for next year. 

They collect a list of HOMES and full-time residents so next year those are the sites they visit for the COUNT.

Census takers also visit RV parks, nursing homes, and college dorms. We happened to be in California when they came to the park where we were staying one day in 2010. We didn't want to be counted there so we filled out a form you can get to be counted in your domicile location instead of where you are currently parked. After all, we were not in that California park on official census day. Domicile states like you filling out the right form so they get the benefits of your "residency".

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van