Hurricane Dorian. Change travel plans?

Wizards&OZ

Our current plans have us in Connellsville, PA. on Monday, and Chesterfield, VA. on Thursday enroute to Myrtle Beach by Friday. This is only our 4th month out in a Class A motorhome, so we're newbies. With Dorian heading up the East Coast... do you suggest we change our travel plans and drive more inland? Our final destination is Orlando and eventually the Keys by Sept. 10th. Suggestions from those well-traveled in a Motorhome with unpredictable hurricane weather? 

All I know is that I wouldn't be driving around the coast.  As far as making it to Orlando and the Keys.... wait to see what kind of damage they get.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Why would you want to be or even travel in a coach with hurricanes forecasted for the areas that you want to travel. It is dangerous enough for the people who do not head the warnings. Why would you want to place yourself in harms way? Make a new destination and do this trip next year.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Since you are eventually coming south, I would head toward maybe Charlotte while keeping an eye on this storm.  It could start tracking up the coast of Florida and make a left turn, or it could continue up the Atlantic and come ashore who knows where.  As you come a little south and inland and watch this monster you may find a good spot to hunker down and let it pass.

There a many things to consider just before and immediately after these types of events.  Folks in SW Florida already began panicking and buying all the water and other basic items, including fuel.  As this thing tracks further north the same thing will happen in other coastal communities.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

A few years ago our trip was severely impacted by hurricanes. Not the damage, we avoided going to those areas but the gas pipeline were down and gas stations did not have gas. Very much regional dependent, mostly SE but trickled further north. Go someplace else this year.

Right now we are experiencing long lines at gas stations here in central Florida with 30% of the stations out of gas. In south Florida the stations out of gas have reached 50% and the hurricane isn't near yet. If the tracks shifts a little to the left things will get worse. Chuck 

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Thank you for everyones input. We've decided to travel South, slowly, more inland and essentially reverse our travel path. Hoping we can stay more inland and avoid the weather and pray that no major destruction makes us cancel our plans returning from Florida back up the East Coast. 

I don't see any problem with your modified travel plans, especially based on the latest hurricane predictions from this morning.  You will no doubt see a lot of rain off and on from probably Tuesday through maybe Friday though.

Even though you have probably thought of this I'll mention it anyway.  I would keep fueling up my coach between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank, never letting it get to 1/4 of a tank.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We winter in Florida near WDW. We do not leave until the 3rd or 4th week of Oct after the threat of hurricanes are over . I would not even attempt it t with the conditions now. I would not even try Myrtle Beach. It is difficult to get a campground long the way under normal conditions. Fuel may be in short supply. I would stay home  for a few days,

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

At least for the time being, the panic seems to have subsided in N.Central Florida. Of course if the storm makes a turn west it will all be back. So the gas stations are operating normally and the food stores have normal crowds.

Why would you only fill the tank 1/2-->3/4??

Edited by agesilaus

Having been to Myrtle Beach for years in September, we only got run out twice. First time was a beautiful Wednesday. I went up to the CG store for the paper. On my way back a guy who I talked to every AM was packing up. I knew he wasn't due out for several days and asked him what he was doing. He was from the Charlotte area and said they had just put on a voluntary evacuation. He asked me if we had ever been evacuated and I said "no". He told me if you leave under the voluntary situation "you will drive out just like any other time, if you wait for mandatory evacuation all hell breaks loose". So within an 2 hours we were on our way further inland. A friend we had gotten to know at the CG from the St. Louis area said he was going to wait. He named me "throw and go Bob' as I just threw stuff in the truck. Next season here he comes in, stops his rig and said "I need to talk to you". After getting setup he comes over. "If that same situation ever occurs again. make sure I am on your bumper" He waited for the mandatory order. Left the CG at 8 AM, got to Camping World at 8 PM that evening, all of about 18 miles. Next morning got going at 6 AM and finally got something to eat at Knoxville, TN. All the restaurants were stripped out etc. There is only a couple of ways in and out of MB.

9 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

Having been to Myrtle Beach for years in September, we only got run out twice. First time was a beautiful Wednesday. I went up to the CG store for the paper. On my way back a guy who I talked to every AM was packing up. I knew he wasn't due out for several days and asked him what he was doing. He was from the Charlotte area and said they had just put on a voluntary evacuation. He asked me if we had ever been evacuated and I said "no". He told me if you leave under the voluntary situation "you will drive out just like any other time, if you wait for mandatory evacuation all hell breaks loose". So within an 2 hours we were on our way further inland. A friend we had gotten to know at the CG from the St. Louis area said he was going to wait. He named me "throw and go Bob' as I just threw stuff in the truck. Next season here he comes in, stops his rig and said "I need to talk to you". After getting setup he comes over. "If that same situation ever occurs again. make sure I am on your bumper" He waited for the mandatory order. Left the CG at 8 AM, got to Camping World at 8 PM that evening, all of about 18 miles. Next morning got going at 6 AM and finally got something to eat at Knoxville, TN. All the restaurants were stripped out etc. There is only a couple of ways in and out of MB.

That's insane! Noted: Leave under voluntary conditions... don't wait! 

As a result of the hurricane heavy rains can be a problem in North and South Carolina. Interstates washed out, high water.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

It doesn't matter what kind of RV you are in.  Hurricanes can cause havoc over a very wide area.  We have had campground reservations canceled when emergency workers (insurance reps, utility workers, etc) responded to hurricane damage and took over all the campgrounds.  Locals also can flock campgrounds when they return and their property is damaged.  Until I knew what Dorian does I'd avoid the east coast.  We have been chased out of FL and NC three times by hurricanes, not fun.      Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Most everyone in the affected area is heading north and inland. Roads will be crowded.  Campgrounds will be hard to find. Many fuel stops are already out or are charging 3x the regular amount for fuel. After the hurricane passes it may take weeks for things to return to normal. The weather report is that a second storm is already forming and may turn into a tropical storm or another hurricane in a week or two. Proceed with caution. Watch the weather reports. More accurate information on the tract of this storm will be coming in the next few hours and time will tell where it will hit if at all. Have a back up plan. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

8 hours ago, agesilaus said:

At least for the time being, the panic seems to have subsided in N.Central Florida. Of course if the storm makes a turn west it will all be back. So the gas stations are operating normally and the food stores have normal crowds.

That is not exactly so.We just spoke to friends in the WDW kissimmee Florida area. Stores are still in short supply of  essentials and fuel is still in short supply with many  only allowing 10 gals of fuel. Heavy rains  and storm surge is a big problem and the path of the hurricane is still to be determined.  Florida natives are old hands at hurricane  preparation and they rarely panic.

lWhy would you only fill the tank 1/2-->3/4?? only 

llowing 

9 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Why would you only fill the tank 1/2-->3/4??

You read it backwards. I said to fill the tank when at 3/4-1/2.

This morning the national weather said Dorian has almost stalled at the Bahamas, @ 1 mph for the next 24 hrs., saying it may not get to FL until Friday; however heavy rain will be in advance of the hurricane. Storm surge may reach I 95 IF Dorian turns left.

You only live once,  stay safe. Anything bought with money can be replaced with money.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

It's turned northwest as expected right now but still moving dead slow. Of course that doesn't mean it will keep going that way but it is a good sign for Florida. Mainly because the weather guessers got it right. None of the models show a landfall in Florida, the storm will hold 50 miles off the coast more or less. For the last 18 hours or so the forecasts have shown it making landfall at Cape Hateras on Thursday, going back to sea and hitting Newfoundland.