A pleasant border-crossing experience

Even though we've crossed the border to and from Canada quite a few times, I was a little concerned about our crossing this week because we had been out of the US for nearly 3 month and, of course, we had been in Canada where marijuana is now legal.  As a result, I was fully prepared with everything including a typed list of purchases, registration and insurance cards for both our MH and our toad, etc.

To my surprise, not only did we approach the border crossing at the Thousand Islands Bridge to find a completely empty lane, the border agent was pleasant and professional.  After I showed him my list of purchases, which totaled well below the allowable threshold, he asked if we had purchased any alcoholic beverages and I truthfully told him what we were carrying (which was above the tax-free limit).  To my surprise he asked if we had enjoyed our summer on PEI and waved us through. No questions were asked about fruits and vegetables or about cannabis. Total time <10 minutes.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has always amazed me that there seems to be more issues with people crossing back and forth into Canada, or at least negative experiences, than crossing our southern borders.  Glad it was a good crossing for you guys.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

2 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

It has always amazed me that there seems to be more issues with people crossing back and forth into Canada,

A month ago we had to drive back to Calais ME in the CR-V (not the MH) to get Rx refills at Walgreens. We were in the US for less than an hour.  When we went back across into Canada I was tempted to say that we had come to the US "just to buy drugs!" but I decided there was a better way to phrase that statement!  😂  Sometimes the problems are of our own making!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

6 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

It has always amazed me that there seems to be more issues with people crossing back and forth into Canada, or at least negative experiences, than crossing our southern borders.  Glad it was a good crossing for you guys.

IMO you have to be semi-insane to drive an RV into Mexico and I think that opinion is widely shared. Thus few go across that border and if they do, it's a day trip with the vehicles and RV's left in the US. So since few cross there are few complaints. If I did cross I would expect a justifiably intense search.

4 hours ago, agesilaus said:

IMO you have to be semi-insane to drive an RV into Mexico and I think that opinion is widely shared. Thus few go across that border and if they do, it's a day trip with the vehicles and RV's left in the US. So since few cross there are few complaints. If I did cross I would expect a justifiably intense search.

There are MANY RVers crossing into Mexico who spend the whole season.  There are many RV parks full.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

OK you obviously know more about this than I do. But I'm still not pulling my RV across or my truck. I'll cross to one of the border towns, Nogales or whatever, on foot if we get down that way. For a few hours. We have in the past. But with the current situation I would not cross into Ciudad Juarez for example. Northern Mexico is a good example of a failed country, lawless and corrupt.

We just spent some time on the southern border.  I don't take my RV across the southern border.  But anyone who travels or lives in these areas know that the U.S. Border Patrol still has check stations at different locations north of the actual border.  

We went through a couple southern border patrol check stations last month, once in the RV and once on the Harley.  The officers working were courteous and professional.  On the other hand, last year we crossed the Canadian border on the Harley just for a day trip, the Canadian officers were friendly and helpful, coming back the U.S. Customs officers were total jerks.

This just has been my experience in my limited recent dealings. 

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

I have never had issues with crossing the Canadian Border. Lots of times! I have never had problems with crossing into Mexico, mostly in the sixties and seventies, lots of times. I would travel to Baja today probably not other parts of Mexico. They only issues where with the US Border Patrol coming back to the US. Issues in El Paso, TX and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley. Yes, in my many years of crossing the US Borders the only assholes were US Border Patrol. Sad to say that!

3 hours ago, agesilaus said:

OK you obviously know more about this than I do. But I'm still not pulling my RV across or my truck. I'll cross to one of the border towns, Nogales or whatever, on foot if we get down that way. For a few hours. We have in the past. But with the current situation I would not cross into Ciudad Juarez for example. Northern Mexico is a good example of a failed country, lawless and corrupt.

You're correct. There are much better crossings than Juarez.  Nogales and Lukeville are two easy crossings.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

We just spent some time on the southern border.  I don't take my RV across the southern border.  But anyone who travels or lives in these areas know that the U.S. Border Patrol still has check stations at different locations north of the actual border.  

We went through a couple southern border patrol check stations last month, once in the RV and once on the Harley.  The officers working were courteous and professional.  On the other hand, last year we crossed the Canadian border on the Harley just for a day trip, the Canadian officers were friendly and helpful, coming back the U.S. Customs officers were total jerks.

This just has been my experience in my limited recent dealings. 

Please expound on total jerks comments 

22 minutes ago, palmeris said:

Since 9/11 our border patrol officers and customs agents have been more rigid and less friendly, but I still believe that those who experience inspections by a jerk nearly always bring it on themselves. The officers there are doing the job that those in command expect of them and doing so the very best way that they can. It has been my experience at numerous border stations and airport customs areas that if you simply answer the questions asked and allow the officer to do his job without comment or unnecessary action you will have no problems at all. Your own attitude will have more to do with how your experience goes than any other factor, so long as you are not attempting to sneak something through. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, palmeris said:

Pulled up into U.S. Customs lane and before I could even bring my bike to a complete stop he said something, which of course with the bike running and my helmet on I could not hear.  Shut bike down and as I was starting to take my helmet off he demanded in a loud and unfriendly voice "take your sunglasses off".

I got the sunglasses and helmet off and he just as rudely ordered us off the bike, which without a word we complied.  He then looked at our documents, walked around the bike asking us their list of questions.  Looked at our documents for another couple of minutes and told us to go.

He was not "just doing his job", he was a "badge heavy" individual who probably should be in a different line of work.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

40 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Since 9/11 our border patrol officers and customs agents have been more rigid and less friendly, but I still believe that those who experience inspections by a jerk nearly always bring it on themselves. The officers there are doing the job that those in command expect of them and doing so the very best way that they can. It has been my experience at numerous border stations and airport customs areas that if you simply answer the questions asked and allow the officer to do his job without comment or unnecessary action you will have no problems at all. Your own attitude will have more to do with how your experience goes than any other factor, so long as you are not attempting to sneak something through. 

It would be great if that was how the world actually worked Kirk.  Just like with any profession there are jerks and idiots that have no business dealing with the public.  I think that overall our U.S. Customs agents do a tremendous job, especially on our southern border, but 100% of them are not competent, professional, and friendly.

You will not find a bigger supporter of law enforcement that me.  I proudly fly a thin blue line flag over my motorhome and on my Harley.  But are there unprofessional jerks in my old profession?  Sure there are.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Last year i was told a story about crossing from Canada into the US.  A couple was traveling to their winter home in AZ when they stopped at the border crossing. After the normal questions the agent asked one last question....."what do you think of our president"!  When the man replied with some not so flattering comments the agent returned their passports stamped, "inadmissable for five years"!!! That ment they could not go their AZ home for 5 years with no appeal!  The border agents have more power than people think so keep answers short and to the point and opinions (good or bad)to yourself and you will breese through borders going either way.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

6 minutes ago, orca said:

Last year i was told a story about crossing from Canada into the US.  A couple was traveling to their winter home in AZ when they stopped at the border crossing. After the normal questions the agent asked one last question....."what do you think of our president"!  When the man replied with some not so flattering comments the agent returned their passports stamped, "inadmissable for five years"!!! That ment they could not go their AZ home for 5 years with no appeal!  The border agents have more power than people think so keep answers short and to the point and opinions (good or bad)to yourself and you will breese through borders going either way.

Sounds like a made up story to me, but if it is true it is a small price to pay for telling the truth.

Edited by pjstough

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

The only time we've ever been asked a somewhat non-standard (and non-political) question by a US border agent was while re-entering the US at the Queenston/Lewiston crossing near Niagara Falls. After asking us the usual questions, the agent addressed our dog as she looked out the window and in a very serious tone asked her if she had left anything behind in Canada. I told him she had left a wet spot in the grass at the Flying J in London. He then asked her if that was all, so I told him if she had left anything else, I would have bagged the evidence and brought it along. With that, he broke up laughing and told us to get out of there and have a great trip home. :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

53 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

Sounds like a made up story to me, but if it is true it is a small price to pay for telling the truth.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like 100% hogwash to me. Made up by the usual suspects.

Except there are reports everyday of people being hassled because of what is in their phones, what their friends post, etc.  Reporters returning from overseas assignments being interrogated, etc.  Foreign students being sent back because of what their friends post.  So maybe there are more kernels of truth than you want to acknowledge?🤭

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Well it could have been made up but it was told to me by my liar...er..lawyer cause he knew i was going south for the winter! The guilty person was also one of his clients and contacted him for help.😥

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Except there are reports everyday of people being hassled because of what is in their phones, what their friends post, etc.  Reporters returning from overseas assignments being interrogated, etc.  Foreign students being sent back because of what their friends post.  So maybe there are more kernels of truth than you want to acknowledge

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure they search electronics, and they take a hard line protecting this country. The people complaining about that case would be the first to scream if someone that Customs allowed thru committed  some horrific crime. Shot up an Antifa meeting for example. The law enforcement people are all that stands between us and another 9-11. That was after the justice department of that time allowed that to happen.

So I say to them keep up the good work, stopping a mass murder terrorist attack in NYC this weekend for example. And many other examples like that.

And BTW, don't want your stuff searched? Leave it out of the country or just stay where you came from. There is no right for non citizens to enter the US.

Edited by agesilaus