Fifth wheel tires

Danandfreda

5 hours ago, TireHobby said:

Can't was a strong word. Not supposed to is a better fit. I know the heavy trailers like yours come with 7000# axles, but, what are they certified to carry. Their official load capacity, once they are fitted to the trailer will be listed on the vehicle certification label. Teton may have used heavier axles to provide better braking and just derated their load capacity to conform to vehicle certification regulations. The only LT tire with enough load capacity to satisfy the needs of 7000# axles was the GY G614. My regulations binding on the vehicle manufacturer the tires fitted to RV trailer axles MUST provide a load capacity equal to the axles maximum vehicle certified GAWRs.

I've been writing about tires for a long time and I try real hard to stick to industry facts rather than what "he said, she said talk".

Tire industry standards revolve around safety. If you add to them all is well. 

When our Teton was built I don't believe the heavier LT tires were available.  In any case it is equipped with 7000 pound axles (3) but the load sticker shows load range E tires at 3042.  I have been running Michelin XPS Ribs and in the 12 years only one flat with a nail.  However these are $$$.  The Sailun tires are less than 1/2 the cost.  The Teton is well within the ratings as the rear axles are carrying total about 14,000 to 16,000 pounds on 6 tires.  The tongue weight is heavy.  As old as our 5th wheel is I am not concerned with the factory specs anymore.   I just want good reliable tires at a reasonable cost.  THE XPS Ribs are very good tires and when I change them after 10 years they still look new inside and out.  It seems a waste to buy that kind of tire with the low miles they see.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, TireHobby said:

It depends on where your rig is registered. Some states and provinces have periodic RV trailer inspections. Here in the USA there is a federal regulation outlining the minimum requirements for such inspections so that all DOT (NHTSA)  tire safety standards are met.

Here is a sample of one section of that regulation: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/570.62

I was answering his specific question about going to a "heavier" tire. I have no argument with what you are saying.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 10:51 AM, rpsinc said:

I am not too sure that using ANY tire on a Teton will have ANY effect on the manufacturer, since they are out of business.  As a contractor, we often are faced with specs that call out a MINIMUM requirement but substitutes are allowed as long as they meet OR EXCEED the original design intent.  I ALWAYS use tires that exceed the manufacturers intent mostly because my experience has taught me that OEM tires fail more often than the replacements I choose, which are of higher spec'd capacity.  I prefer it that way.

Isnt the quoted info related to a dually set up as opposed to an axle with 2 tires, 1 on each side/end??  I have operated on the premise that a single wheel location was a 1 tire per hub, whereas a dual set up is more of a 2 tires per hub, as in a dually pick up or in my case my Newmar Kountry Aire with the dually tires on 2 axles, using 8 total tires on 2 axles.

The GY614 are maxxed and looked flat at the bottom under my teton. They were gone a week after I bought it. I went to 17.5 commercial trailer tire. Rated at 6005 per tire they don't even blink with the Teton on it. My axles are rated at 8K on the sticker on the side of the unit. 24KGVWR.  By going to to 17.5 and there weight rating they seem to have less rolling resistance. They remain round and the 614 seem to be flat along the ground where they were in contact with the road.

Of course I have a super heavy weight in the 5ver world. 

Edited by Consolenut

I'm sure you will really like the new Sailun ST637 tires. Having them balanced was a good move, 5ers receive enough vibrations from the wonderfully smooth roads, without purposefully adding more from unbalanced wheels.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Consolenut said:

The GY614 are maxxed and looked flat at the bottom under my teton. They were gone a week after I bought it. I went to 17.5 commercial trailer tire. Rated at 6005 per tire they don't even blink with the Teton on it. My axles are rated at 8K on the sticker on the side of the unit. 24KGVWR.  By going to to 17.5 and there weight rating they seem to have less rolling resistance. They remain round and the 614 seem to be flat along the ground where they were in contact with the road.

Of course I have a super heavy weight in the 5ver world. 

Did you buy the Teton used? Having a maximum load capacity of 3750# @ 110 PSI the G614s have never qualified for fitment to vehicle certified 8000# axles.

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

2 hours ago, TireHobby said:

Did you buy the Teton used? Having a maximum load capacity of 3750# @ 110 PSI the G614s have never qualified for fitment to vehicle certified 8000# axles.

Mine was 7k axles with 8k hubs. Came with Marathons. Yes, XPS on now and doing great.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I replaced our axles to get grease able bearings and got rid of the never lube after we had one go bad and the other 3 were heating up a lot more than the new one. So far I like the tires took quite a bit of weight to balance them but I’m sure they will hold up. On our way the the hdt rally n Hutchinson Kansas 

2 hours ago, TireHobby said:

Yes bought it used. I seen the tires and new they needed to be replaced and off to the trailer place i went. Instead of the 235/85/16. I went straight to 17.5..........235/75/17.5 to be exact best thing I ever did.

If we were going to keep it we would have did that too. Only planning on keeping it a couple more years then prob go to a New Horizon. When I changed axles I paid for one and they gave me the other one just paid for shipping 2 axles with hubs,rotors,brake calipers,pads and leaf springs for $1100 didn’t think that was bad. 

7 hours ago, Consolenut said:

Yes bought it used. I seen the tires and new they needed to be replaced and off to the trailer place i went. Instead of the 235/85/16. I went straight to 17.5..........235/75/17.5 to be exact best thing I ever did.

👍

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

In the world of how it's supposed to be done, upgrading the axles does not require tire upgrading. The GAWR on the federal vehicle certification label is always valid, unless it's officially modified. Only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier has the authority to change vehicle certifications. 

Hypothetical; a RV trailer having a GVWR of 22,000# can be certified for three 6,000# vehicle certified axles, providing the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tongue weight is 4,000#. Those axles are often 7000# axle manufacturer certified, allowing heavier braking capabilities. The trailer manufacturer is authorized to degrade axle manufacturer certifications for the purpose of vehicle certification. That's why, back in the day of the popular LT235/85R16E tires, they got fitted to such a heavy trailer.  

Edited by TireHobby

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

I don't how the G614 is inferior?  That is such a broad statement.  GY had some issues with the tires series the first couple of years.  GY stood behind the tires and made good on the repairs.  Since then, they have enjoyed a pretty good rating .

In a single application, they are rated for 3750# at 110 psig inflation pressure.  Our trailer has three 7000# axles and the tires are rated to carry a total of 7500# per axle.  The pin weight is close to 4000#, for a trailer total of 19,000#.  This leaves 15000# for the three axles, so there is not much chance to overload the axles and chance.

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Not inferior. they just looked to be maxed out or straining. the new tires stay round the GY look like they had flat spots just sitting on the ground with them bearing the weight. yes properly aired up too. I had GY614 on my Newmar good tires. For my Teton just needed more tire i thought.