Knee replacement gang

Hewhoknowslittle

4 hours ago, Striper said:

Hey Dave,

Hope your feeling a little better today, actually hope both you Old Timers are doing better.  Where did you have your surgery?  2 hours to home sure doesn't sound like a fun thing to do the day after getting cut on.

Joe

Howdy Joe,

Yes I am feeling much better today.

I had the surgeries done at the University of Washington North West hospital it’s about 50 miles from my house but the traffic is horrible.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Passed your regards around happy hour the other night. We are all rooting for you guys. There are about 12 of us here now. I would count for sure but it is cold outside and these darn big trucks are blocking the view from my window so I can't count for sure.

Brad

I would really like to see that C15 in the walker Dave.

Howdy Brad,

I would post up a photo of the C15, powered walker but it wouldn’t show up, I broke into a government stealth data base and used that technology to make the swap from leg power to CAT.

Dave 

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

45 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

Next year we should HAVE a sub-Rally, known as a Conformis Rally, we could present a seminar. I think in this age group there are many "candidates".

We could advertise it as, "all actual and prospective gimps - WELCOME"

Howdy Henry,

I think we should have a prospective gimp, gimps and ex-gimps only seminar at all future rallies where we can compare scars, talk about our choice of aftermarket replacement parts, and enjoy having survived our shared misery.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Roger,

Hope your doing well, I am getting better.  I read that you "might" be driving by car over to the National HDT Rally, if you do, please give my best regards to all those in attendance, THANKS.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Roger,

Hope your doing well, I am getting better.  I read that you "might" be driving by car over to the National HDT Rally, if you do, please give my best regards to all those in attendance, THANKS.

Dave

Good morning Dave

The left knee has not treated my well yet. Lot more swelling and pain, went to see the doc yesterday and was given a prescription for swelling, two tablets a day, well so far after one dose and a overnight rest what a difference. No pain as of this post, and swelling has gone down a lot. 

Yes I am going to try to get Karen to drive me over tomorrow and will be sure to pass along your regards, I was going to bobtail the truck over, Karen driving, but she shot that down fast. She doesn’t want me to climb into the truck. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

3 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Good morning Dave

The left knee has not treated my well yet. Lot more swelling and pain, went to see the doc yesterday and was given a prescription for swelling, two tablets a day, well so far after one dose and a overnight rest what a difference. No pain as of this post, and swelling has gone down a lot. 

Yes I am going to try to get Karen to drive me over tomorrow and will be sure to pass along your regards, I was going to bobtail the truck over, Karen driving, but she shot that down fast. She doesn’t want me to climb into the truck. 

Roger

Howdy Roger,

Good morning to you.  I am doing ok but the right knee is giving me more pain and swelling all Black and blue much more then the left knee.  I may be wrong but I think this type of surgery takes a lot out of a person and our body is just wore out from the first surgery so it hits us harder the second time around, which makes me respect Iron Men like Henry all the more for having both done at the same time.

If you get to the rally please enjoy it as much as possible and say “Howdy” to many of our mutual friends.  Looking at the weather forecast it’s a whole lot nicer there then it is here the NorWet is living up to it’s reputation it’s getting colder wet and nasty.

We will get through this, I look forward to our next meeting.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

To everyone at the National Rally, 

If Karen and I missed talking to you I am sorry but the knees said it’s time to go home and get on ice and drugs. We might drive over again this Saturday to finish catching up with everyone. 

Dave,

you should see how easy Henry squats and gets on his hands and knees.

Everyone is missing you (or Newt) and send there reguards your way

Roger 

GCTaaehl.jpg

4 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

To everyone at the National Rally, 

If Karen and I missed talking to you I am sorry but the knees said it’s time to go home and get on ice and drugs. We might drive over again this Saturday to finish catching up with everyone. 

Dave,

you should see how easy Henry squats and gets on his hands and knees.

Everyone is missing you (or Newt) and send there reguards your way

Roger 

Howdy Roger,

So glad you got a chance to visit even if it was for only a short time.

As to Henry, that old goat is made out of steel and sure has my respect.

Yup everyone loves Newt, thanks for passing on our regards and thanks to everyone for their well wishes.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 10/10/2019 at 6:48 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy Henry,

I think we should have a prospective gimp, gimps and ex-gimps only seminar at all future rallies where we can compare scars, talk about our choice of aftermarket replacement parts, and enjoy having survived our shared misery.

Dave

I think you’re onto something there Dave. See seminar list below

How to buy good used parts

How to install upgrades yourself

Delegating that pesky PT

Hazards of welding your own frame

Care and feeding of your very own bedpan macerator

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

26 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

I think you’re onto something there Dave. See seminar list below

How to buy good used parts

How to install upgrades yourself

Delegating that pesky PT

Hazards of welding your own frame

Care and feeding of your very own bedpan macerator

Howdy Sculptor,

I like the cut of your jib, perhaps you could take charge of getting such discussions on the new rally agenda.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

I tried to send you a PM but the system says you can't receive any, so will post here.

Well it's been 3 weeks tomorrow and I was wondering how this knee is doing as compared to the left knee?
I find that I don't remember the progress as well as I should, but this last knee has caused a lot more pain for me, I still can't sleep all night in bed. About 3AM I wake to sever pain, and I have to get up and sleep in my recliner to get any relief, then I sleep in late, so I am thinking I get little to no rest while in bed.

So how are you doing?
Pain any different on this knee vs the left knee?

I did climb into the Freightliner yesterday and drove it into my shop to have some window tinting done, I was talked into getting the lightest tint put on the windshields and what a difference it makes on the heat transfer into the cab, the installer told me that it will also get rid of the night blindness, I asked him if it would get rid of the limp I have after the left knee replacement, but he stated that it won't so time will tell if it does. I will have to wait till I have the chance to drive at night to see the difference.

Roger 

GCTaaehl.jpg

5 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Dave,

I tried to send you a PM but the system says you can't receive any, so will post here.

Well it's been 3 weeks tomorrow and I was wondering how this knee is doing as compared to the left knee?
I find that I don't remember the progress as well as I should, but this last knee has caused a lot more pain for me, I still can't sleep all night in bed. About 3AM I wake to sever pain, and I have to get up and sleep in my recliner to get any relief, then I sleep in late, so I am thinking I get little to no rest while in bed.

So how are you doing?
Pain any different on this knee vs the left knee?

I did climb into the Freightliner yesterday and drove it into my shop to have some window tinting done, I was talked into getting the lightest tint put on the windshields and what a difference it makes on the heat transfer into the cab, the installer told me that it will also get rid of the night blindness, I asked him if it would get rid of the limp I have after the left knee replacement, but he stated that it won't so time will tell if it does. I will have to wait till I have the chance to drive at night to see the difference.

Roger 

Howdy Roger,

My PM thing should be working, others have sent me PM's.

This knee is different, more pain for sure I am taking more of the heavy stuff with this knee in order to be able to sleep and even with the extra dope I am not sleeping well, I too have gotten out of bed and spent time in my recliner in order to get some rest.  That said the flexibility of the right knee is weeks ahead of what the left one was, it took 6 weeks for me to be able to flex the left knee at 125 degrees I am now getting that much flex from the right knee.  The pain seems different, this time is seems to be DEEP in the joint feels like its deep in the bone but there is no bone there only the new joint.  I am thinking that the actual pain may not be worse but that my wore out body is feeling it more, I don't know how Henry could get both done at the same time, this has sure knocked the wind out of my sails and I always considered myself  kind of a tough ole git.

We will get better, well that's what I keep telling myself anyway. :wacko:

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 10/28/2019 at 12:20 AM, mr. cob said:

Howdy Roger,

My PM thing should be working, others have sent me PM's.

This knee is different, more pain for sure I am taking more of the heavy stuff with this knee in order to be able to sleep and even with the extra dope I am not sleeping well, I too have gotten out of bed and spent time in my recliner in order to get some rest.  That said the flexibility of the right knee is weeks ahead of what the left one was, it took 6 weeks for me to be able to flex the left knee at 125 degrees I am now getting that much flex from the right knee.  The pain seems different, this time is seems to be DEEP in the joint feels like its deep in the bone but there is no bone there only the new joint.  I am thinking that the actual pain may not be worse but that my wore out body is feeling it more, I don't know how Henry could get both done at the same time, this has sure knocked the wind out of my sails and I always considered myself  kind of a tough ole git.

We will get better, well that's what I keep telling myself anyway. :wacko:

Dave

You get a different post op care when you do two at the same time AND THE INSURANCE PAYS FOR IT! I probably should have mentioned it to you guys and "encouraged it". The day after my second one they transported me to a full fledged 24-7 in-patient PT facility. We are talking single patient hospital rooms, 24-7 three shift nursing staff, 24-7 pain management, or as much as you need it, pain management physician on the staff, PT physician (not just techs), three hours per day of PT spread throughout the day, one hour of PT,  hour of occupational (dressing, toilet, etc.) and hour of mental (group), believe me, some people were real basket cases in the group, but the info was good. Insurance paid for 10 days of it and on the last day the PT guy just came into the room in the morning to "observe" if I could function independently (with a walker), get up, go to toilet, wash, brush teeth, take a shower, dress up, etc. Once he saw I could do this, he discharged me. This was after those 10 days of in-patient.

wVTGU9ul.jpg

What followed was 4-6 (I don't remember) weeks of out-patient therapy which is probably what you guys get. I was told that up front that if I did both I would go to the inpatient place and if I did one at a time it would be outpatient only. I didn't know any better at the time but I was in such a bad shape and I had it with those knees I said we will do both.

Edited by phoenix2013

Howdy All,

In a couple of days it will be a month since the second ( right knee ) surgery so I thought I would share whats happening.  Long story short, its better.  I am looking forward to better days and just put up with the misery in the mean time. 

Henry, thanks for explaining how your PT worked, the VA would NEVER approve such an expensive PT program I am glad you had good insurance and this was provided for you.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Woo Hoo! Today i got my official letter notifying me that i have been accepted to recieve a new knee and have been put on the waiting list.  In 8 or 9 short months i will join this exclusive club!!  Sometimes our Canadian "free" medical is nothing to be proud of.  Its going to be a long wait!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

1 hour ago, orca said:

Woo Hoo! Today i got my official letter notifying me that i have been accepted to recieve a new knee and have been put on the waiting list.  In 8 or 9 short months i will join this exclusive club!!  Sometimes our Canadian "free" medical is nothing to be proud of.  Its going to be a long wait!

Howdy orca,

I hope this all works out well for you, if you have to wait that long it might be a good idea to get into as good a shape as possible so that your recovery will go smoother and be easier after your surgery.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy orca,

I hope this all works out well for you, if you have to wait that long it might be a good idea to get into as good a shape as possible so that your recovery will go smoother and be easier after your surgery.

Dave

Thanks Mr Cob, i really have to change my attitude that if i have an urge to go to the gym i just lay down till the urge passes!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

The pre-surgery exercise they had me do most was simply sit down and stand up from a chair several times in a row. You want those muscles working the best they can before you have the surgery. Bicycling, stationery or otherwise, is also good pre-surgery exercise and was part of my outpatient therapy after surgery. Doing arm strengthening exercises pre-surgery is also good since you might need to be able to use your arms to help lift you from seated at the beginning. That may not be as big a deal for those of you doing one knee at a time as it was for me doing both knees the same day.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Time for an update on this thread. How are you guys doing lately. Hope all is well.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

5 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Time for an update on this thread. How are you guys doing lately. Hope all is well.

Brad

Howdy Brad,

I am getting better, taking fewer pain pills, driving Donna's car which has an auto trans, and our old winter beater a Kia Sportage which has a stick trans. We have been blessed with an unusually dry and at times sunny fall rather then the usually pouring down rain and gloom that my particular area is noted for so my SAD ( Seasonal Affective Disorder ) which is normally in full bloom by this time of year has been somewhat abated.  Being able to ESCAPE from here last year was wonderful and I am so looking forward to doing it again in January.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Glad to hear that you are still going in the correct direction. A Jan. escape sounds like a good idea. We will be the the RGV at that time.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

15 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Glad to hear that you are still going in the correct direction. A Jan. escape sounds like a good idea. We will be the the RGV at that time.

Howdy Brad,

For the uninitiated, what is the RGV?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg