Knee replacement gang

Hewhoknowslittle

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Linda,

thats easer said than done, but I’m working real hard to keep it straight. 

Thank you

Roger

I found that getting it from 10-15 degrees "permanent bend" (it wanted to stay there) back to 0 degree was more difficult and painful part of PT than getting it to 100 degrees the other way

5 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

I found that getting it from 10-15 degrees "permanent bend" (it wanted to stay there) back to 0 degree was more difficult and painful part of PT than getting it to 100 degrees the other way

Because I didn't get back to 0 degrees I have problems with my posture and my gait. Work harder to get there or pay the price the rest of your life, people.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Howdy Roger,

I do hope your feeling better today.  Another thing to keep in mind ICE especially after you do the PT.  It took a while before I realized how important the ice is and how much better it makes you feel.

I am hoping that by the time they do the second knee I will have all this stuff figured out, drugs when and how often, ice when and how often, I have a pretty good idea now what to do but the first 10 days were an on going experiment to see what works and what  doesn't.

another thing I learned load up on the drugs at night so you can get some sleep, trying to get to sleep when that knee is throbbing does NOT work.

Dave 

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

21 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Roger,

I do hope your feeling better today.  Another thing to keep in mind ICE especially after you do the PT.  It took a while before I realized how important the ice is and how much better it makes you feel.

I am hoping that by the time they do the second knee I will have all this stuff figured out, drugs when and how often, ice when and how often, I have a pretty good idea now what to do but the first 10 days were an on going experiment to see what works and what  doesn't.

another thing I learned load up on the drugs at night so you can get some sleep, trying to get to sleep when that knee is throbbing does NOT work.

Dave 

Dave,
 This is day 4, and what a difference in pain. It still hurts, but not as bad as yesterday, went to PT this morning and the therapist said my range of motion was great, stated I'm a week or more ahead of total movement, and to think I was doing bad.

I agree with you on loading up on meds before bed so you can sleep. Not going water skiing this weekend, so everything should be good for Tuesdays PT.

Roger

Edited by Hewhoknowslittle

GCTaaehl.jpg

15 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Dave,
 This is day 4, and what a difference in pain. It still hurts, but not as bad as yesterday, went to PT this morning and the therapist said my range of motion was great, stated I'm a week or more ahead of total movement, and to think I was doing bad.

I agree with you on loading up on meds before bed so you can sleep. Not going water skiing this weekend, so everything should be good for Tuesdays PT.

Roger

Howdy Roger,

Glad to hear its getting better.  I am down to only taking the pain meds at night, I'll do a few Tylonal during the day but other then that I am doing well without the hard stuff and then only a couple during the night so I can sleep.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

39 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

You guys are doing Great!

Rockie, 
The first day when the nerve block was working was fantastic, second day was asking myself why, third day was questioning if I would have the other knee done, today is no real bad pain, I'm walking good with the help of a cane, I do have a walker but choose the cane for all my walks around the house.

Now to get the pt over with so we can start again.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

11 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Yippee, the third day convince me to do the other knee. Did they make a pair of knees for you, or just one? Nothing like conformis, the other part of the procedure is that they do minimal cutting to get to the bones, basically just the skin to get to them, things heal real quick.

Day 6 update, very little pain and swelling has gone down some. 

PT exercises still hurt a lot, but range is improving. I’m now looking foreword to get the other knee done. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

12 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

Ken,

Yes I got one and was told when I got the other knee replaced not to bring it with me as I will get another one.  Now it’s just me but I don’t think I need a stock pile of ice packs so I told him I’d bring my old one because I don’t want two. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Roger, when my wife got the first knee done 11 years go, insurance furnished a CryoCuff.  Last year, Medicare would not supply one, so we bought one.  This one we are keeping in case I need one.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Howdy All,

I think I have reached a major turning point with my first knee, for the last 48 hours I have not used anything for pain other then Tylonal (sp), tonight will be the 3rd night not taking any hard stuff for pain.  Not taking the hard stuff my knee seems a bit stiffer in the morning but it loosens up when I go for a walk and do the knee flexing, I am sleeping pain free and that’s what counts.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 8/30/2019 at 9:58 PM, phoenix2013 said:

Yippee, the third day convince me to do the other knee. Did they make a pair of knees for you, or just one? Nothing like conformis, the other part of the procedure is that they do minimal cutting to get to the bones, basically just the skin to get to them, things heal real quick.

Henry,
They made a pair of knees for me, and I'm scheduled to do the left knee on Oct 7th. I'm looking forward to it, but more looking forward to getting my keys back so I can get out of here for a bit.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Hey Roger;

Didja think far enough ahead to install a "kneel" function on your tractor? Got everything else. Kneel down, mount up, no problem...

8 years & counting.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Howdy Roger,

How are you doing?  The folks who are giving me the PT have really been working my knee hard during the stretches and because of that the pain level has increased. I had stopped taking the heavy pain meds at night but am using them again so I can sleep.  The pain during the day isn’t a problem but it darn hard to sleep if I don’t use the meds.  Yesterday I walked using the forearm crutches to my friends home about a quarter mile away going up the pretty steep hill was a real work out going home down the hill was easier then going up but I had to be careful to control the speed if there is a Jake Brake built in to this new knee I haven’t figured out how to activate it. 😐

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hey Dave;

Have you tried sleeping in/on a slightly elevated head of the bed  (adjustable bed). I pretty much lived in a recliner for a month after my knee, and then went to an elevated head section on the bed. Not much inclination but it works. 

Hang in - It gets better

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

3 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Roger,

How are you doing?  The folks who are giving me the PT have really been working my knee hard during the stretches and because of that the pain level has increased. I had stopped taking the heavy pain meds at night but am using them again so I can sleep.  The pain during the day isn’t a problem but it darn hard to sleep if I don’t use the meds.  Yesterday I walked using the forearm crutches to my friends home about a quarter mile away going up the pretty steep hill was a real work out going home down the hill was easier then going up but I had to be careful to control the speed if there is a Jake Brake built in to this new knee I haven’t figured out how to activate it. 😐

Dave

Hello Dave,

Things here are going good. Little to no pain, but still taking a pill at night, day time pain comes and goes. I think I could skip the pain meds but I need all the beauty sleep I can get. 

Raing of motion is good and my therapist is impressed on my progress. I am excited to get the left knee done. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Howdy All,

I will address a bunch of folks in this post, thanks for your suggestions.  I have been using a pillow under my knee when trying to sleep on my back which is not normal for me, we have an adjustable bed while on my back it does help to have the head raised a bit but I can’t sleep on my side with the head raised.

I take little to nothing during the day for pain just don’t need it but maybe I should take some so there’s meds in my system which might make it easier to sleep at night.  I am NOT a person who does drugs unless I have to and the last thing I want is to have a drug problem after going through this so my very conservative use of the pain meds might be why I have the sleeping problem. I am about the worst sick or laid up person you will ever come across I am bored, so bored it’s really starting to bug me.  I have watched tv and spent time on the computer to where I don’t want to look at either of them, the not being mobile and able to drive is awful.

I am really turning into a “Cob” and that makes it hard on Donna and the dogs who are doing everything they can to help get through this it’s especially hard on the dogs as they can’t understand why we aren’t doing things and going places like we normally do.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 9/7/2019 at 11:03 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I am about the worst sick or laid up person you will ever come across I am bored, so bored it’s really starting to bug me.  I have watched tv and spent time on the computer to where I don’t want to look at either of them, the not being mobile and able to drive is awful.

I am really turning into a “Cob” and that makes it hard on Donna and the dogs who are doing everything they can to help get through this it’s especially hard on the dogs as they can’t understand why we aren’t doing things and going places like we normally do.

Dave

Dave,

Your preaching to the choir, 
Today Karen told me I could drive, as sitting around is causing more greef than good, I turned her down on the driving, but was very tempted to grab the keys and go, I feel great and I do believe I wouldn't have any problems, but if something would happen I would be screwed as I have a cdl for my work, and driving without a doctors release would do my business no good.

Hope both of us finds something to get our minds a going so the home front will improve,

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg