Can I leave my fifth wheel (registered in Texas) in Canada for a year or more?

Adele

Hello.

I have been coming back to Alberta (Canadian citizen) every summer. We drive our fifth wheel up from Texas (husband is American) and spend a few months here. I am tempted to just leave the 5th wheel at an RV campground in Alberta, Canada instead of driving it back and forth. The fifth wheel is registered in my husband's name in Texas.

Are there any issues with customs/insurance/etc? 

UPDATE: Insurance was fine, Canada customs wasn't. We spoke with Canada customs and they don't want us to leave our RV in Canada for more than 6 months. They told us we need to bring it back to Texas. Next year, we will get the inspection and paperwork done before we hit the border. Apparently this takes some time and there is some expense.

Edited by Adele
Update.

If Canada is ok with it you should be ok in Texas. When Texas sends you registration paper work you can do it online and it is required to be inspected but if you indicate that it is out of state they will let you register it with the expectation that it be inspected within three days of being back in Texas.

I am very sure that the State of Texas will have no objection as long as you renew the registration and insurance each year, but I really don't know how the Canadian officials will take it. I'd strongly suggest that you contact the Canadian vehicle authorities to see if they have any objections. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I am very sure that the State of Texas will have no objection as long as you renew the registration and insurance each year, but I really don't know how the Canadian officials will take it. I'd strongly suggest that you contact the Canadian vehicle authorities to see if they have any objections. 

There are no such requirements in Texas.  You only have to renew the registration if you want to tow it on public roads.  Insurance is strictly a personal choice, no requirements at all by the State.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

15 hours ago, chirakawa said:

There are no such requirements in Texas. 

I'm not sure what you are correcting, but it is true that TX really doesn't care if you register a vehicle that is never on their roads. But they will be happy to accept the money for registration no matter where the said vehicle may be. 

Edited by Kirk W
correct a typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

I am very sure that the State of Texas will have no objection as long as you renew the registration and insurance each year,

This is what I'm correcting.  The State of Texas will have no objection one way or the other, whether you register it or not.  Your statement implies that you have to register and insure the fifth wheel or Texas will object.  Totally untrue.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Canada will get you. They will be polite about it, but will get you. If your USA registration expires, you will most likely owe taxes to Canada. Your vehicles have to be registered and insured whenever they are on the road. Texas, Canada, or any place in between. 

On the surface this sounds like a simple question but the custom services on both sides of the border will most likely have something to say about it.  There might be questions when you re-enter the states without the trailer like, did you sell it without the proper export papers.  And Canadian tax people might consider the trailer as being imported and want the taxes due.  I do know that there is a time limit as to how long an American vehicle can be in Canada tax free.  Your best bet is to contact border services on both sides and get their opinion.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Hello everyone. Thank you for your comments. We contacted Canadian border patrol and they want us to import it if we are going to leave it. This requires us to return to the border and file some paperwork - a huge hassle for us and it may be a dealbreaker.

Our insurance covers in Canada. The sticking point seems to be Canadian customs.

1 hour ago, Sehc said:

Your vehicles have to be registered and insured whenever they are on the road. Texas, Canada, or any place in between. 

This is absolutely not true in Texas.  Texas does not care if you insure your fifth wheel travel trailer.

1 hour ago, Adele said:

Hello everyone. Thank you for your comments. We contacted Canadian border patrol and they want us to import it if we are going to leave it. This requires us to return to the border and file some paperwork - a huge hassle for us and it may be a dealbreaker.

Our insurance covers in Canada. The sticking point seems to be Canadian customs.

When you spoke to the border agents, were you firm in specifically stating the RV was not to be abandoned, sold, or otherwise dumped in Canada? This is a ticklish subject, as like all jurisdictions, all Canadian provinces want revenue from vehicles using their roads. If the RV were to be permanently set, some don't require plates/registration but some will require property taxes be paid. If the intent is to import the RV into Canada, for use in Canada, then the border agent you spoke to were correct. If the intent is to stop, mid journey, and come back to the RV to resume your travels next season, there should be no problems. This is assuming the RV is parked in storage, and not in use while sitting.

It would help if you were more specific in the locale of the storage, as some are more tenacious than others.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

This is absolutely not true in Texas.  Texas does not care if you insure your fifth wheel travel trailer.

Neither does Indiana, as any trailer being towed is covered by the tow vehicle's liability insurance policy. Of course when disconnected it is not covered by insurance.

The only issue IMO, is with Canadian laws.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

When you spoke to the border agents, were you firm in specifically stating the RV was not to be abandoned, sold, or otherwise dumped in Canada? This is a ticklish subject, as like all jurisdictions, all Canadian provinces want revenue from vehicles using their roads. If the RV were to be permanently set, some don't require plates/registration but some will require property taxes be paid. If the intent is to import the RV into Canada, for use in Canada, then the border agent you spoke to were correct. If the intent is to stop, mid journey, and come back to the RV to resume your travels next season, there should be no problems. This is assuming the RV is parked in storage, and not in use while sitting.

It would help if you were more specific in the locale of the storage, as some are more tenacious than others.

Thanks for your feedback.

It would be left at an RV Resort and not moved or used. 

We found some text on a gov't website that said if it is staying for a period of less than 12 months we don't need to import but we are confirming that.  It is possible we can leave it until July, then run across the border and come back.... 

UPDATE: We spoke with Canada customs and they don't want us to leave our RV in Canada for more than 6 months. They told us we need to bring it back to Texas. Next year, we will get the inspection and paperwork done before we hit the border. Apparently this takes some time and there is some expense.

A trailer can not move on it's own. The tow Vehicle must be insured for liability, and that insures the trailer. If the trailer is legal. Liability insurance is a must have. I'm sure your insurer will want to know about the trailer. The trailer does need to be registered. Let the Texas, or any other US registration lapse while you are in a park, it will be hell getting it re-registered from Canada.