US Hwy 60 from Vaughn NM, to I-25 ?

Jim & Alice

Doing a little trip planning for this Fall... we are looking at traveling on US Highway 60 from Vaughn NM, to Interstate 25.   This looks pretty desolate on google maps.   Has anyone ever driven this stretch before and be willing to share their experience?   Good?   Bad?   In-between?   

Thanks,

Jim 

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Many many times. 

As you are heading west along US60 just past Encino, be sure to slow down and make that hard left, otherwise, if you are not paying attention, it is easy, especially at night or in bad weather, to completely miss that turn and end up in Clines Corners on I-40.

Ancient Cities Cafe in Mountainair has a pretty good breakfast and room to park. In years past, the Willard Cantina had good Mexican food but I believe it has new owners now so I have no recent experience with them.

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

Thanks, podwerkz, appreciate the Mountainaire info... and the heads-up on Encino - US60.   I think there is a similar turn like that close to Vaughn, where US54 heads South.   We missed it once...   We will be going this route next month, so this is quite helpful.   Thanks again!

Jim 

2007 Dolphin

Yep, same type of situation...you have to be paying close attention, to either the signs, or your GPS...and in fact, many GPS units will try to route you up to I-40 even tho you want to stay on US-60. 

So...pay attention to that just after you pass Encino, which is really just a wide spot with a few homes and a post office. Not much more.

Nothing to see here. 

• 2 months later...

Catching up here... US Hwy 60 from Vaughn, NM, to I-25 was a piece of cake.   Road surface was good the entire stretch, light traffic, and good shoulders.   Thanks to those that offered to share their experience.   Not much there so any future travelers... be sure to gas up before driving the stretch.   

2007 Dolphin