Norf Dakoota to Waashington

NDBirdman

We are trying to decide about traveling with 5th wheel camper from our home in NE ND to Seattle area, is it feasible or folly.  We would be traveling starting down hwy 94.  I don't like traveling on major highways but think it advisable late in the year.  Would leave ND appx 6-8 Nov, returning end of the month/first of Dec.  Would it be doable or would I end up stranded in the mountains somewhere?  I don't want to pull it through snow/ice, I have had some not very fun rides doing so when I drove tractor/trailers (have not drove this route in a truck).  My other options are take the train sleeper car, or drive our car this trip.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

That's truly our hope, we want to be done with snow and negative temps, we're not getting any younger!  We've done this train route before, actually 2 months back and it was enjoyable.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

22 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

We are trying to decide about traveling with 5th wheel camper from our home in NE ND to Seattle area, is it feasible or folly.  We would be traveling starting down hwy 94.  I don't like traveling on major highways but think it advisable late in the year.  Would leave ND appx 6-8 Nov, returning end of the month/first of Dec.  Would it be doable or would I end up stranded in the mountains somewhere?  I don't want to pull it through snow/ice, I have had some not very fun rides doing so when I drove tractor/trailers (have not drove this route in a truck).  My other options are take the train sleeper car, or drive our car this trip.

If you stick with I-94/I-90, you shouldn't have a problem as the interstates are kept well-plowed.  Just keep an eye on the weather, and if a snow storm blows through, find a place to stay until the roads are clear again.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I have no problem dry camping, all I need is a jug of water for drinking/cooking and a good batt. to run the furnace off of.  I just talked to the Lake Pleasant RV Park in Seattle, they are just about booked full.  They stay open year round.  We're still debating, I'm willing to bet we end up taking a sleeper car (train) there again, it's fun.  The killer is the near $1,800 it cost for 10 days motel stay there..... ouch!!  Just about the same for the train ride, atleast we have a vehicle there we can drive so no car rentals.  Oh-well, our grand-daughter will only have one 1st birthday.  I'm hoping to winter there next year if we have a newer RV, they are picky about the age of campers, their price seriously reflects this.