New member and where we stayed this summer

agesilaus

New to Escapees and just getting started on Boondocking. We are very long time campers and RVers and have camped in every one of the lower 48 with our family. I've been interested in boondocking but our RV type at the type didn't seem compatible (34 ft fiver)

We just got a new to us 2016 Arctic Fox 25Y since the kids are all out of the house and started boondocking on this summer's trip:

1) Shadow Mountain Tetons. Absolutely wonderful site where you have a full view of the mountains across that large meadow from your CG. We stayed 3 days on the 4th of July weekend, we were very lucky to get a site (#15) on the 3rd in the afternoon. This is off the Mormon Row road. It was a rainy period and the road in is dirt so we were a little concerned about getting out but it didn't rain the last day. Check the NF info station in Jackson for maps of this and other boondocking sites around the Tetons.

2) Hungry Horse Reservoir south of Kalispell MT. This was the downside of our trip. We stopped at the Ranger station in Hungry Horse and got a map and info on a Wednesday afternoon. I more or less expected we would find a spot on the 55 mile road down one side of the lake. But the place was packed full. We then made the newbie mistake of turning down a side road without checking it out first. Think it was Dead Buck road. Anyway got a mile and a half down the road and it was blocked with a pile of dirt. There was a smallish opening on one side and instead of backing out I tried a turn around. Got stuck in a ditch. We spent the night at what was actually an excellent spot on a creek thinking it would be a tow truck in the morning.

But a rescuer arrived to camp on the other bank and he talked me thru maneuvering the TT out of the spot. Saved us a bunch I'm sure. But lesson learned.

Next was Camel Hump Lake/Reservoir just over the line into ND off I-80, near Beach ND. Pulled into this place found a nice spot right on the small lake. Only a couple of others out there and they were hundreds of feet away or on the other side of the lake. So far so good. Woke up at 7:30 AM to find the site surrounded by 50 or 60 locals including a Pepsi Hot Dog stand trailer. Out fishing and the natives were not pleased to find us there. Packed up and left...heh. This was Saturday morning so I suggest avoiding Camel Hump on weekends.

Last boondocking stop was Burning Coal Vein in ND to the 15 miles north of Amistead ND. Nice spot only one other camper in the area with maybe 10-12 slots. Nothing to do in the area tho. And be careful not to drive past the last site because you will end up on a dead end at the top of that hill. Never did see the burning coal tho we looked for it. There is a pit toilet at this spot.

Shadow Mt cg 1.jpg

Shadow Mountain

Burning Creek CG2.jpg

Burning Coal NF

Edited by agesilaus
add subtitles

Welcome to the forum!

Still in ND?  The western side of the state is good for camping, where I am (Grand Forks area), eastern side is so-so.  Find a place along the Red River, great cat-fishing opportunities, or out in the grasslands if you like watching wild-life.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Oh, if your up in my neck of the woods, I would recommend Turtle River State Park.  Lots of hiking trails, along a small river (it's down quite a bit right now but still has a wading pool, water is nice n cold).  They stock it yearly with small trout.  30 miles out of Grand Forks which has lots to do if so interested.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

. Never did see the burning coal tho we looked for it.

It stopped burning a few years back.

Unfortunately we are back in North Florida after 8960 miles where the whole state can't even make a good sized hill. The high point in the state is something like 360 ft and it isn't even on a hill...heh. Boondocking around here means camping in the Ocala NF on sugar sand roads in the scrub pine and palmettos.

I haven't really looked for other sites tho, but I will.

Next year my wife can retire, I already am, and we won't have to rush back down here.

On 8/5/2019 at 11:01 AM, vermilye said:

Gouldings if you need hookups, in the Monument Valley campground if you are willing to dry camp.

A couple of other near by dry camping areas are Goosnecks State Park - inexpensive, and Valley of the Gods - free. Both offer great views and are rarely overcrowded.

1 hour ago, agesilaus said:

Next year my wife can retire, I already am, and we won't have to rush back down here.

Understand totally!  I've been retired for 10 years now but my wife has 6 weeks to go.  I think she is counting the days, if not hours, been a long road but oh so much fun!  It's about to get more fun!!  10 days after she retires we are starting off with a SD pheasant hunting trip, then to Indy for my mom's 80th.  Then we need to decide how we are going to WA.  Kinda worried about traveling across the mountains with a camper.... might finish off with another train trip, then back home and decide where to spend the coldest part of our winter, Jan/Feb.  Oh the choices.... LOL  Might even trip towards FL if we can find a spot, away from the saltwater and tourist traps.

11 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Unfortunately we are back in North Florida after 8960 miles where the whole state can't even make a good sized hill.

The highest point in Florida is found in the Florida Uplands that run along the northern edge of the panhandle. Just south of the Alabama border, west of Paxton, Britton Hill is 345 feet above sea level and is the lowest state high point in the nation.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Actually after making my complaint about boondocking in Florida I decided to actually see if that is true. Maybe not, The Florida Forest Service aka the State Forests and the WMA areas all offer camping some primitive and some with electric & water.

FSF

Apparently they use the reserve America reservation system. I'm going to try to get a spot in Tate's Hell over Labor day. On a river.