Front landing gear

Question about front landing gears.  The motor/gearbox is on the left side (drivers) and has a bar across the top of the bay to the other landing gear/jack.  Where the bar goes into the  passenger side down-tube, it is sloppy (?).  I can grab it and shake it where it goes into the tube containing the jack/landing gear.  I'm probably butchering the lingo but I'm no expert... LOL.  My question is, should this be tight, or is loose/sloppy how this thang works?  FIrst camper I've owned so nothing to compare it to at the moment.  Should there be a bushing/bearing there?  It still works but because of the sloppiness, it pops a little going up/down.  Right now I have it connected to my truck so I can take it apart/go on a part hunting expedition if needed.  I'm at my stick n brick now so I have other vehicles to drive if I need to go to town for parts.  Is this repairable, or does the whole thang need changed out?  I have not seen a zerk on this tube, does it need lubed up?  Seems like the gear is very slow going up/down and the motor looks like a puppy slowly wagging it's tail.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

27 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

yes you have bushings Take a screw driver and pop off the top of the jack and with mirror you will have a good view and rebuilding is easy peasy

Kewl, thanks.  Does the whole assembly drop out or does it need rebuilt in place?  I'll look at it in the morn.  The RV parts/sales in town should carry these as universal sizes or it is brand specific?

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

pretty standard I think, I pulled mine all the way out. You will have caulking to replace but no biggy To my recollection there is a flat washer above the tapered gear and then a small pin through the shaft to hold it up. That washer needs to be replaced, I think you will find where the pin has pushed way into the washer gears are probably good and where you pull that cross arm off should be a shear pin I replaced it with a grade 5 bolt plus put some extras in my pu ( 1/4" bolt x ?? 1" maybe 1 1/4"

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Kewl, thanks.  I'll try to tackle it tomorrow, wanting to go out again this weekend, or atleast next.  Can't wait for my better half to retire.

Welp, done and done.  Was easy to fix, did not have to run to town.  Gears were just fine, problem was the cross-over tube was sloppy, shaft is solid as a rock.  Shimmed with a washer and slop/noise is gone.

Just purchased a car that was listed here. Highly rated dealer on this site. But when I looked at other review sites, same dealer was trash. DO NOT TRUST these sites reviews. They are ALL fluffed to look great. You can find this statement in the sites far section. So unless I'm seriously mistaken again. Do yourself a favor check elsewhere.

18 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

pretty standard I think, I pulled mine all the way out. You will have caulking to replace but no biggy To my recollection there is a flat washer above the tapered gear and then a small pin through the shaft to hold it up. That washer needs to be replaced, I think you will find where the pin has pushed way into the washer gears are probably good and where you pull that cross arm off should be a shear pin I replaced it with a grade 5 bolt plus put some extras in my pu ( 1/4" bolt x ?? 1" maybe 1 1/4"

I want the easiest to replace and cheapest part to fail first.  Installing a grade 5 bolt in place of the shear pin may wind up costing much more than a few shear pins.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I want the easiest to replace and cheapest part to fail first.  Installing a grade 5 bolt in place of the shear pin may wind up costing much more than a few shear pins.

A grade 5 bolt is softer than the shear pin Thats my reason for installing it

Jim Spence

22 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

A grade 5 bolt is softer than the shear pin Thats my reason for installing it

A 1/2" G5 bolt has a shear strength of 105,,000-120,000 psi; a 1/2" 316 SST shear pin has a shear strength of 43,275 psi

I spent enough years in a tool and die shop to not make the comparison.  Most shear pins are hollow.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

22 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

A 1/2" G5 bolt has a shear strength of 105,,000-120,000 psi; a 1/2" 316 SST shear pin has a shear strength of 43,275 psi

I spent enough years in a tool and die shop to not make the comparison.  Most shear pins are hollow.

Shear pin roll pin whatever, They werent available  at the time and a 1/4" bolt was when I rebuilt the one leg

Jim Spence