Onan Generator Start due to no power

4 hours ago, WILDSIDE said:

Both of the two small posts are unmarked. Both are open between the frame and post. The 4Ω measurement is only between the two small posts that are not labeled as S or I.

That's NOT an old Ford type solenoid with S and I terminals and the coil to activate the solenoid is between the two unmarked terminals (There are no S and I terminals). That's what I suspected and saw on many many Gensets or Lawn Mowers or later cars.

END OF THE ORIGINAL SOLENOID QUESTION (Which terminal is S and which is I, Answer NEITHER ) thanks for the update.

4 hours ago, WILDSIDE said:

I took the batteries in and both checked out good under load.

I had to order the battery cables as my salvage yard had a clean out and no longer carries cables. They should be here early next week. I'll use my jumper cables to continue troubleshooting what I am accepting as a ground issue. I'll focus on terminations and closer inspect the battery cables between batteries, the frame gnd, and the genset gnd.

GOOD PLAN thanks for the update. Since its NOT the batteries, a cable or connection line voltage drop may be the problem. Only time will tell.

3 hours ago, WILDSIDE said:

What's a hot cable? Are you referring to the positive side of the 12V ckt?

YES I was talking about all the cables and connections in the POS side of the circuit. From battery to solenoid Input and solenoid Output to gensets starter motor and/or any in between. While were focusing on the Ground circuit now, the Pos side can be a problem.... 

You're on top of this, keep questioning and updating...

John T

About two weeks ago a customer had a generator problem where the solenoid only clicked.

Did all kinds of testing and cleaning connections. Finally put a long set of jumper cables from the batteries ground to the generator ground. Hit the start button and generator  fired up .

Determined the frame had some rust on it like there had seen some beach camping. Installed a ground wire from the battery negative to the generator ground. Along with the generator and now the jacks worked much better.

This was on a class C.

Vern

Hey y'all,

Just a quick note to let you know that the genny is running. It had to be a combo of a poor gnd and a weak battery. Charging the batteries and cleaning every battery terminal, connection, and gnd stud restored the genset to full operational condition!

Thanks for all your suggestions and in depth detail of the solenoids. Dean

On 1/12/2020 at 5:52 AM, Wrknrvr said:

About two weeks ago a customer had a generator problem where the solenoid only clicked.

Did all kinds of testing and cleaning connections. Finally put a long set of jumper cables from the batteries ground to the generator ground. Hit the start button and generator  fired up .

Determined the frame had some rust on it like there had seen some beach camping. Installed a ground wire from the battery negative to the generator ground. Along with the generator and now the jacks worked much better.

This was on a class C.

Vern

Same issue with me. Primary issue was with the gnd stud under the battery. It had rust between the bolt and the negative battery connection. I took a wire wheel to it and other connections to clean it up and I'm all good now!

12 hours ago, WILDSIDE said:

Hey y'all,

Just a quick note to let you know that the genny is running. It had to be a combo of a poor gnd and a weak battery. Charging the batteries and cleaning every battery terminal, connection, and gnd stud restored the genset to full operational condition!

Thanks for all your suggestions and in depth detail of the solenoids. Dean

Poor grounds and a weak battery will do it every time. CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for the update.

John T

On 1/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, rickeieio said:

In 50+ years of fixing farm equipment, it's usually the ground.

Like I said way back......😋

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net