2016 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL - Thoughts on this TT

rollindowntheroad

Have been looking at this TT.  I have not owned an RV before.  Is this priced fair?  Priced at $17,993.00 reduced to $14,993.00.  They are willing to take another $1,000.00 off.  It is in good shape, have not done a thorough walk through yet.  Wondering what your thoughts are.  It will be used for weekends and week or so long vacations.  It's is only me, no other people, dogs, etc.  I like the floor plan of this TT.

https://www.rvt.com/Forest-River-Salem-Cruise-Lite-232RBXL-2016-Dover-FL-ID8810313-UX198178

Edited by rollindowntheroad

2 hours ago, rollindowntheroad said:

Dry weight of this TT is 4,750 lbs.

Dry weight isn't what you need to consider, as you will only tow it that way one time, bringing it home after you buy it. The weight to consider is the gross weight or GVWR. That is the most you can safely carry in it and that is what you will be looking at once it is loaded. Dry weight means noting in any tank, not even the water heater and no personal belongings or food. You may be surprised by how much weight is added just by putting in your clothing and food, a little water in the potable water tank and a few personal items. Most ouf us carry between 500 & 1000# per person.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I know about dry and gross weight.  I don't remember what they said the gross weight but it is far under what I can tow.

The question is not about towing.  I am wondering if people think this TT is priced fairly or not.  I did a search on RVTrader for the same exact TT to compare prices and this is the only one that came up within 400 miles of my zip code.

Just did a nationwide search.  Here is what I found:  2019 - $17,795    2017 $15,998    2017 $19,995  Only these 3 came up that are the same exact model.

Edited by rollindowntheroad

First, not a clue about this camper.

NADA value:  https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/Salem-by-Forest-River/M-232RBXL/6557218/Values

NADA specs: https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/Salem-by-Forest-River/M-232RBXL/6557218/Specs

Looking at this, their lowest price is way too high.  Is the frame made of gold/silver?  What people ask is usually not what they are selling for.

Note: only use NADA as a guide, many things can make value go up/down.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:41 AM, rollindowntheroad said:

Have been looking at this TT.  I have not owned an RV before.  Is this priced fair?  Priced at $17,993.00 reduced to $14,993.00.  They are willing to take another $1,000.00 off. I like the floor plan of this TT.

https://www.rvt.com/Forest-River-Salem-Cruise-Lite-232RBXL-2016-Dover-FL-ID8810313-UX198178

A thought and offered in kindness; you've been looking at this trailer and seem attracted to it. The seller may not have had much interest from folks regarding this trailer till you. You like it and that's perfectly fine, but it doesn't appeal to me. Again in kindness and with the idea that our viewpoints (likes & dislikes) are subjective, but if I were to see this at a show I might peek in and then would just walk by, it simply doesn't appeal to me. And if I'm not alone, as in the seller not getting much interest in it, the prospect of getting it off the lot is very real with you. The price reduction and then the additional $1K off says they want to sell it, but there just may be something more. Given their desire to get it off the lot along with having a potential buyer, offer $11K cash. This only after reading the previous post & NADA link as I was leaning toward $10K cash and then possibly going up to $11K. Starting at $11K seems reasonable and if you go up to $12K as a compromise perhaps buyer & seller both win.

Spot

Thank you $ Spot.  I do like it.  I am new to all of this so wanted to get people's opinions.  This would be my first RV so I don't want to get anything huge to start out.  As stated I would be using it weekends and vacations.

When I retire I would like to full time in "something".  I thought that getting something now to try would be a better option than waiting until I retire, buying something to live in and then discover that I don't like it.  This way if I don't like RV'ing I could sell this and make different plans when I retire.

10 hours ago, rollindowntheroad said:

When I retire I would like to full time in "something".  I thought that getting something now to try would be a better option than waiting until I retire, buying something to live in and then discover that I don't like it.  This way if I don't like RV'ing I could sell this and make different plans when I retire.

That is sound thinking. You might want to consider a rental for a short trip before you buy one, if you have doubts. 

3 hours ago, rollindowntheroad said:

It would probably take me a while to really find out.

It might give you some feel for what the life is like and for what to look for in an RV to buy. You would experience the same space issues and park conditions that will be yours when you do buy. Renting isn't criticaly needed but can be helpful, and it is also expensive. Anything that helps to select the best RV type to fit you is a good thing as trading RVs later is also expensive. There are so many different ways to live your life in an RV that it is difficult to say exactly what you will do once you actually begin to travel. Even if you have something in mind now, that could easily change once you are actually on the road.

We had a Salem in the past.  I am wondering if you have checked it over looking at the ceiling and around the windows for water damage and also rocking back and forth on the floor looking for squeaky or loose areas in the plywood.  Also, look at the roof as I suspect it is a rubber roof and you'll want to know the condition.  $ Spot has a good idea, but I would check it over making notes to make the salesperson aware that you are looking for a good deal and if work is going to be required, the price needs to come down, and maybe down again.  Having to shop for an RV is just the worst, and never let them pressure you into buying as if it is "gone tomorrow", it was not "meant to be".

Cathy