Drum brakes hanging up after sitting a month or two

Parrformance

I seem to be having an issue with the front tandem passenger side brake shoes hanging up and not releasing.

The chambers appear to be fine, it seems as though it is the shoe linkage.

I would be so grateful if some of you might like to share some wisdom on the subject.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

When we lived in Florida and let the truck sit for more than a week, it was common for one or more brake shoes hanging up. Chalked it up to high humidity rusting/bonding metallic shoes to drum. Always broke loose when I’d put it in 1st.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

There is a way to release them by banging on the drums but I don't like to climb under the truck with the brakes released, fear of the truck rolling once the stuck pad released is usually why. Guess you could block the tires. I have heard that some use a pipe and go thru the wheel openings. I just move forward or back till it pops loose 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Is it happening after it sits or is it happening even after a day or 2?  

If their dragging or sticking regularly, I'd start with replacing the brake can, or just have the front brakes replaced.  It generally doesn't cost much, and would be the only time you would ever have to rebuild them.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Mine also does this on the right side. Its very hard to brake free after an entire winter. I am considering cageing the brakes this year.

Use a few flexible cutting boards between the drum and the shoes. Chock the tires for insurance.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Definately only happens after setting for several weeks to a month or more.  Becoming very consistent though.  I will double check the S cams and make sure that I am not missing them while living the chassis.  I suspect I have overlooked them.

Jackalopee

It is differently the brake shoes rusted to the drums.  In my area it would only do it in the winter after rains. When I was working and we would get a fleet of trucks back in and sat for a period of time, we always would have to beat on the drums to get them to release.  We had a sliding bar hammer about 6' long that was for breaking tire beads that worked pretty good.  
My HDT will do it after setting in the winter.  Most of the time I can get them to brake loose by going forward and reverse.  Be ready for a loud bang when the release.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I know a guy that would slip wooden shims in between the break pad and drum when he parked his semi trailers for a long time. They always rusted. This helped. I don't know why you couldn't do it with a HDT. I would chalk the wheels just for extra insurance.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I hope to get to the brakes this weekend.  Been remodeling a bedroom in the house after my youngest son moved into his own home.

Now the nest is empty, accept of course the Mother in Law🧓

Jackalopee

On 8/17/2019 at 7:09 PM, Lance A Lott said:

Mine also does this on the right side. Its very hard to brake free after an entire winter. I am considering cageing the brakes this year.

If you have the time and energy to cage them, then I would try Darryl's solution of the flexible cutting boards or those flexible silicon baking sheets. The baking sheets can handle temps from the negative numbers to 500 degrees.  They are cheap and I bet you could cut a workable shape easily. They aren't real thick and would be faster and easier to remove than uncaging them. Of course that all depends on how tight your brakes are to start with. I've seen shoes adjusted so tight I couldn't get a piece of paper between them and the drum. 
I guess that is where I get lucky, having my truck stored at home. I try to get it out for a drive at least once a month, keeps the diesel stirred up and the rust off the brakes.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, Parrformance said:

I hope to get to the brakes this weekend.  Been remodeling a bedroom in the house after my youngest son moved into his own home.

Now the nest is empty, accept of course the Mother in Law🧓

Well since you are working in the house, what is she doing? Send her out to do the brakes. Even Mother in laws need to earn their keep 🤣

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er I would have to dig it out of 3 feet of snow and put on chains to take it for a spin. I think I will try the flexible cutting board this year I can always back off the slack adjusters. This spring when I got the truck out I left both spin and skid Mark's on the cement. This year it will be on plastic covered dirt so hopefully what ever I do works.

The 1/2 to 3/4 turn of slack when brakes are adjusted correctly sets the shoes pretty tight to the drums. .018” to .025” shoe to drum clearance doesn’t leave much room for kitchen cutting board pieces.

Check your brake OEM’s specs for your shoe to drum clearance.

What solves the issue quickly is full lockers 😊

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 hours ago, Big5er said:

Well since you are working in the house, what is she doing? Send her out to do the brakes. Even Mother in laws need to earn their keep 🤣

I laughed out loud😂😂

Jackalopee

43 minutes ago, noteven said:

The 1/2 to 3/4 turn of slack when brakes are adjusted correctly sets the shoes pretty tight to the drums. .018” to .025” shoe to drum clearance doesn’t leave much room for kitchen cutting board pieces.

Check your brake OEM’s specs for your shoe to drum clearance.

What solves the issue quickly is full lockers 😊

Flexible, dude.

41wh9avoLOL._SL1000_.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 3 weeks later...