Visible by Verizon

You're not alone.  I've been trying since July 28th after receiving and returning a defective R2 phone.  A phone company without a working voice phone line ... what a concept! 

It's also interesting that Verizon has pushed back the shutdown of their CDMA network from the end of 2019 to the end of 2020, allowing an extra year to transition customers off of the CDMA network.  I can't help but feel this is due to the Visible experience trying to upgrade existing phones from CDMA to HD Voice (VoLTE).

Edited by Lou Schneider

I have had the Visible R2 phone since the beginning of June and so far it has worked great. I'm on the road now traveling in the Rockies. I've been in a couple of spots with no service but that was expected. Right now I'm camped outside of Yellowstone Park a few miles west of the town of West Yellowstone and am getting a good signal.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

I have the Visible R2 phone.  I haven't yet tried the hotspot feature, but am counting on it when I launch.  I found it difficult to get started since there is only "chat" support available and there don't seem to be many humans working the chat.  I opted for the free phone and find that sometimes I can hear the caller, but the caller can't hear me.  I will give a better review when I have used it on the road for a sufficient period of time.

That was my problem.  The phone didn't recognize the SIM card and when Chat told me to remove and reinsert the card the SIM card dropped out of it's little plastic carrier and lodged out of reach inside the phone.  At that point the only option was to return the phone via prepaid UPS ground, wait a week after the tracking showed the phone arrived at their service center for them to log it in as returned, then order a replacement phone.  I'm still waiting for the second phone to arrive.

Edited by Lou Schneider

• 2 weeks later...

Updating the above ... My replacement R2 phone arrived on September 1, but did not come with a new SIM card.   Visible says they are working on improving their Customer Service response times.  I was able to reach a Chat agent after a short wait, and they overnighted the forgotten SIM.

After another Chat session, I got the SIM card mounted in the phone and activated.  What Visible failed to mention ("Just punch out the SIM card and insert it into the phone") is their SIM cards have two layers of punchouts.  The first creates a standard size SIM that won't fit in the R2 phone, there's a second layer of punchout inside the standard SIM that creates a mini-SIM to fit in the carrier that slides into the phone.

Anyway, after trying Visible for a couple of weeks, I'm happy.  My old phone was a Total Wireless Samsung Galaxy Luna 3 on Verizon's  4gLTE and the new phone has faster and more consistent data service, even though they're both on the Verizon network.

Visible's mobile hotspot is limited to one device at a time, and although Visible says the hotspot is limited to 5Mbs I had no trouble streaming video and doing other online tasks.  I also got HD video on most streams, even though Visible claims to limit video to SD (CD quality).  It's a good alternative to my primary ATT Mobley hotspot.

Visible also reversed the charges for the first phone and for the month service I didn't get, with the new service starting when I activated the new phone.

All in all, Visible seems to be a good deal, assuming you can get it up and running without needing any additional help.

Edited by Lou Schneider

• 3 weeks later...

Phone-hot spot were working fine,till came time to repay the bill.Well maybe not fine app would not work on phone.When I went to account page on computer there was no place to pay the bill. About 4 hours more or less on chat trying to get that fixed I gave up.My try a whole new account sometime new phone is only $20.00.

Mobile Internet Resource Center just put out a public video review of Visible as a choice for RVers and boaters, it is 14 minutes long  - 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I have a Visible ZTE R2 Android smart phone that I purchased last June. So far it has been working great. I spent most of August in Wyoming and Montana. Cell coverage was non existent in some areas, but that was expected out in the boonies. I had good service while on major highways and when near larger towns. Visible is presently selling the R2 for $19 (yes, that's nineteen dollars). I watched the Mobile Internet video and my experience is a bit different. My hotspot speed is usually over 5Mb/s. Here at home in Minneapolis my typical speed is around 17Mb/s. One spot in Montana out in the middle of nowhere, I hit 30Mb/s while connected to the hotspot. The claim that the SIM will only work in a phone is not accurate. I have a 6620L MiFi Jetpack and the Visible SIM works in it after it has been activated in a phone. Also you have to change the APN to VSBLINTERNET.

It's an amazing deal. $19 for the R2 phone and $40 (that includes all taxes and fees) per month for unlimited everything.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for posting our video and Visible review. 

Up until a couple weeks ago, we were regularly seeing over 5Mbps hotspot speeds - it's only been recently that we're starting to see the throttling. As we stated in the video, we recommend making a choice on the plan assuming the clearly stated limitation and being presently surprised if you don't immediately encounter them. 

Also, needing to change the APN on your Jetpack means the plan is not intended for use on that device. Just because you were able to make it work does not mean it is supported as per their terms of service.

Keep in mind also that the R2 phone, while a great deal, is only a Cat 4 modem and only covers 4 of Verizon's major frequency bands - you will not benefit from carrier aggregation or Verizon's newer bands with that phone. But it is a great way to try out the service with minimum investment.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

I tried. I could not swap any of my existing numbers. I wanted to qualify for the rebate. Nope. I am now out $20. I don't think I want a new number and another bill to pay. Please don't try to tell me how I flicked up. I went through it all and am tired of it.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:48 PM, Sehc said:

I tried. I could not swap any of my existing numbers. I wanted to qualify for the rebate. Nope. I am now out $20. I don't think I want a new number and another bill to pay. Please don't try to tell me how I flicked up. I went through it all and am tired of it.

There have been numerous reports of problems with porting numbers into Visible (and even worse, porting your number out later). We're definitely recommending that folks NOT port in a number they want to keep and set this up as a new line of service. 

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors