Kodiak Brakes

SuiteSuccess

We have the 9000 lb MorRyde IS suspension with Kodiak brakes.  There has been a recall on these brakes and Kodiak supplies slightly longer bolts. I got the recall kit and GeorgiaHybrid and I pulled the bolts on the passenger side right front at the ECR. The bolts were exactly the same length and size so we assumed the recall had already been done but to be sure we replaced with the new, used loctite as directed, torqued. I’m now sitting on the side of the road in NE Texas waiting on mobile mechanic. Bolts are completely gone from right side front caliper and 1/2” out on front two bolts of left side calipers. Caliper came completely loose, destroyed pads, but luckily tpms alerted us soon enough we got off road and stopped. Sudden rise in psi and temp. Scored wheel slightly but no other damage. I checked all the bolts TWO weeks ago with torque to be sure I was good before this trip.  

Better check your Kodiak calipers if your traveling. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

When youy checked the torque, did the bolts move?  Even a little bit?  If so, the Loctite was done, and the bolt could back out.

Hope it all turns out well.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

18 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

When youy checked the torque, did the bolts move?  Even a little bit?  If so, the Loctite was done, and the bolt could back out.

Hope it all turns out well.

No movement. I’m thinking someone sent me the same bolts from DRV instead of the new ones. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, we have Kodak 250 calipers that were installed at MorRyde. I’m not familiar with a recall notice. Did a quick Google search and nothing obvious popped up.  Can you share the recall details. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I also have Kodiak brakes that were installed at MORryde last year, about two months ago noticed issues and upon further investigation found a caliper bolt loose and the other missing on the right rear, all others were good and tight.  Ended up replacing a loaded caliper and hub on that side and now check the bolt tightness as part of routine maintenance!  Interesting that there might be a recall.... I will look into that as well.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

3 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Carl, we have Kodak 250 calipers that were installed at MorRyde. I’m not familiar with a recall notice. Did a quick Google search and nothing obvious popped up.  Can you share the recall details. 

As DesertMiner linked. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Update.  Managed to make it to Winstar in Oklahoma without trailer brakes. Called DRV and Kodiak to see what bolts they sent me. Called at 10:00 am and still no return call from either. Spoke to Slade at Rolling Retreats. He’s gonna try to work us in Weds or Thursday to check all of them since I have 3000 miles to travel. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

TI have kodiak brakes on my trailer that is circa 2008.  As you probably know the new bolts come with blue loctite on them.  Since they must be removed to pack the bearings, I made the mistake of putting them back on without new loctite and they backed out on me as well.  One of the other issues is that it is hard to keep the loctite clean because it is hard to keep the grease out of the inside of the rubber boot.

I now take a rag and run through the inside of the rubber boot before putting the bolt back in with red loctite on it.  

Bottom line is this may be an assembly issue rather than a hardware problem.

Just some new info. Below are pics of the new and old bolts and sleeves. The new sleeves are thicker but as you can see the bolts are the same length. Of note you will see the bolts have BLUE Loctite. The directions say just add Loctite but does not specify RED or BLUE.  If you look at the link DessertMiner provided they recommend RED Loctite. The recall notice. from DRV sent out no where specified that. If changing use RED Loctite. 

Can’t get pics to upload. Will add later. 

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Loctite site says red not intended to be used if the bolt is ever to be removed. If the bolt needs to be remover heat is required. I will be watching as I am having moryde update my 7000 pound axles to greaseable bearings which requires going to kodiak from dexter.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Dan, when you need to remove them, a little heat on the bolt will break the Loctite loose. In this case, the new bolts came with blue Loctite already on the threads.

I am still curious on this though as the new bolts they sent Carl were the exact same length as the bolts we removed even though his VIN never showed the recall being done to it.

Having pretty much lost faith in anything from DRV, I have to wonder if they sent him the right bolts. Everything was cleaned up, bolts run down tight and torqued to spec when we put it back together.

From the looks of one pad, I think the caliper stuck, got the rotor, pads, caliper and hub very hot (their TPMS monitor went off showing a rise in temp and pressure on that tire) and that broke loose the blue Loctite and allowed the bolts to back out.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

30 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

From the looks of one pad, I think the caliper stuck, got the rotor, pads, caliper and hub very hot (their TPMS monitor went off showing a rise in temp and pressure on that tire) and that broke loose the blue Loctite and allowed the bolts to back out.

Pretty good deduction there Dave.  I would have to say that's the likely scenario.

On another note, keep in mind that Loctite uses the same colors for different strengths of thread locker.  Just saying "red" can mean very different things........   For example, red 242 and red 271 are very different things.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

This is what is going on the new bolts. 

Permatex High Strength Thread Locker Gel

RED. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

My trailer was not covered by the DRV recall, but I had a couple of bolts come loose (not out) that resulted in a loose rotor (also with MorRyde 9K IS).  This caused the brake line to that rotor to sheer off and I lost brakes because all the fluid left my system.  (Thank you HDT because I didn't even know I had lost my brakes until I got home and noticed the fluid on my rear jack.)  DRV sent me out the recall kit.  It included the same bolts and sleeves that were already present from OEM.  It also included instructions that showed the use of red loctite instead of blue loctite that was used at the factory.  The kit never mentioned red loctite specifically, but the instructions had detailed pictures that showed them using red loctite.  When I installed the kit I used red loctite and then paint marked the bolts on the rotors so I could easily see if there was any movement on the bolt heads.  This was a year or so ago and so far no movement.  I did liberally use the red loctite though.  It might be fun when I have to service the hubs later, but I will deal with that when it comes.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Chad,

The instructions sent with my bolts just said Loctite. Never specifically said Red.  My conversations with Kodiak (Dexter) said the original installed bolts did not have activators in the Loctite and that was the issue.  When I mentioned the replacement bolts had Blue Loctite the rep said yes and that it had the activator.  More to follow after all repairs done. Just to be fair all my conversations with Kodiak have been very positive so far. BTW everything will be red. 

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

23 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Btw, I have been going through some brake issues with my new horizons. Very excessive wear. Less than 1500 miles on a new caliper--trashed. Not related to caliper loosening. They are Dexter calipers and no info regarding use of loctite. What say all.

Chuck, what is your tow vehicle? What type of brake controller do you have?

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Update. All work completed. Found a really great trailer repair place and great owner in Gainesville TX.  Texas Diesel.Com. Knowledgeable and prices very reasonable. Found some additional issues. Right rear caliper bolts were both sheared at the bracket and was just lucky that caliper had not let loose also. All other bolts and calipers checked and replaced with Red Loctite. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, HERO Maker said:

Brake controller?

DirecLink.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

15 hours ago, Chuck said:

Btw, I have been going through some brake issues with my new horizons. Very excessive wear. Less than 1500 miles on a new caliper--trashed. Not related to caliper loosening. They are Dexter calipers and no info regarding use of loctite. What say all.

Chuck, is it the just the pads that are wearing? Just on one side of the rotor? Just one caliper or all of them? What gain setting are you running on the DirecLink?

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime