More Questions

As I downsize, I wonder "how many tools you travel with"? Right now I have a tool chest, with sockets, wrenches, and the like. I'm sure there is a lot of redundant tools, but even if I scale it back, it would be a box, heavy and hard to store.

I have a hand gun and will be in MD for 3 months before leaving the state and will be back a couple times a year. I have it locked up in a small save, but as I understand MD law, I don't think I'm legal to keep it in the camper. It almost seems not worth dealing with.

Thanks - Rick

Packman, do you have a carry permit? and what states will reciprocate?  Maryland is one of the stinker states as in NY and NJ and makes it difficult to transport a fire arm.  By federal law you should have the ability to travel across the state with the firearm locked in a secure safe with the ammo locked in a separate location neither accessible from the drivers compartment..  I don;t believe that they will allow it to be locked in a glove box or center console.  Sort of makes carrying a firearm totally useless.

If you have a carry permit, I 'd consider joining US Law Shield and contact their program attorney for advice on transporting a firearm.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On the tools, much depends on which ones you will use as your skill set plays a major role. I don't carry a large set of mechanic tools as I do only limited work in that area but I do carry extensive electrical tools and a few wood tools. 

On the gun issue, I suggest that you get a copy of Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the 50 States.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Packman, do you have a carry permit? and what states will reciprocate?  Maryland is one of the stinker states as in NY and NJ and makes it difficult to transport a fire arm.  By federal law you should have the ability to travel across the state with the firearm locked in a secure safe with the ammo locked in a separate location neither accessible from the drivers compartment..  I don;t believe that they will allow it to be locked in a glove box or center console.  Sort of makes carrying a firearm totally useless.

If you have a carry permit, I 'd consider joining US Law Shield and contact their program attorney for advice on transporting a firearm.

Ken

There is almost zero chance to get a carry permit in MD. I'm not in that privileged group.  MD law states that to carry a handgun in the vehicle, you have to be on the way to or from the range.

Edited by Packman

2 hours ago, RandallCFloyd said:

Just take a look at what you plan on using the tools for.

That's the whole answer right there. If you plan to do mechanical stuff bring mechanic tools. If you plan to do woodworking bring wood tools. If you plan to redecorate bring those tools. Since I didn't plan to do any of those I only brought basic tools that would let me do minor maintenance/repairs. And I put them in a tool bag rather than a box because it's more flexible when it comes to storage.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, Packman said:

Sorry for the delay. I'm in a fifth wheel. I may just try to figure out the basic tools.

Appreciate the replies!

I carry a lot of sockets, wrenches, and misc tools, too many to list here.  Also carry some electrical tools along with a vice and grinder.  

As far as the firearm issue.  Since you are pulling a fiver I would not hesitate on keeping it inside your RV.  Remember, when your RV is parked and you are actually living in it, for search and seizure purposes it is your home.  As long as you are not a convicted felon I do not see any legal reason why you could not have a firearm inside your fiver when you are staying in it.

Pulling your fiver and having a firearm inside your TV (tow vehicle) is a whole different matter.  I would encourage you to find a legal way to do that.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I have one of those Stanley tool sets in the black plastic case - they have a bunch of 1/2,3/8,1/4 drive sockets, 1/4” drive handle, a set of screw drivers, a cheap multi tester, some fuses, a set of flat wrenches, a couple pry bars, needle nose and normal pliers, water pump pliers, a tire plug kit, Viair 12v compressor if not running the KW, some Eternabond tape, gorilla tape, thread sealant, black electrical tape etc

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

As we prepared to hit the road, I thought that I wouldn't need all of the tools I'd collected over many years, so most of them either went to the kids or on the auction. AFTER that I joined our church builder's group where we had to have our own tools. I'm now buying new versions of what I sold for pennies on the dollar six years ago. Of course, I'm also buying tools I didn't have then because I need them now.

I have most of my tools in two large Rubbermaid wheeled tubs. The 4' level and a couple of other things don't fit into anything else, so they are tucked into safe spaces that can't take other things. We're in a MH now, but will be switching to a pickup and Airstream in the spring.

I'd suggest you start out with those tools you KNOW you will need and dispose of the rest. Should you find a need for something you don't have you can always buy one if you can't borrow it from a neighbor.  When I was a student I used to say that the first time I needed a book I'd go to the library. The second time I'd go to the bookstore. That's pretty much how I'm rebuilding my tool collection now.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

5 hours ago, Sehc said:

Ain't it the truth. As soon as I sell or junk something I need it. Everything in a too full garage, I have no use. But, I'm afraid to part with it. :)

There's a 20/20 rule that might help you. It says that if you can replace it for $20 within 20 miles or minutes then get rid of it. For most of us that will get rid of lots of little things making it easier to see what's left and what value they have.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 month later...

Like a lot of other folks, as a full timer I carry a bunch of tools in my Arctic Fox fifth wheel because I not only keep it repaired myself, I've always got a do-it-yourself project I want to complete, or a do-it-yourself project to fix the last do-it-yourself project I did. All that means mechanic tools, carpentry tools, electric tools, and plumbing tools.

In all the years I've been RVing I've never needed a gun, but there has been a couple of times when I felt a whole lot better knowing it was there.

Theboondork.com

Fulltiming in an Arctic Fox 27-5L

My Website and Blog is theboondork.com

I have too many tools right now, most in my truck bed. I intend to sizzle it down to a complete socket set for the three sizes and SAE/Metric. I'm thinking about leaving the 3/8 stuff behind. I also have a 15 combo wrench set for both types. Plus some outsized wrenches for the hitch and ball. Also a tool box with misc screw drivers, pliers ect.

Then there is a box with truck stuff. We offroad a lot so I have getting stuck stuff, like ramps for sand, a high lift jack, bottle jacks ect.

Then some power tools, mainly battery powered drills, a small jigsaw. A canvas bag with electrical tools-crimper, stripper, DMM, various pliers ect.

I consider myself handy thus the overload...heh.

If I carried a gun I would not announce it. I have a CWL tho.

Edited by agesilaus