Selling my RV- tax questions

Flyfisherman

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

I just think there are better ways to protect yourself than keeping the plates.

Me keeping the plates off my van had nothing to do with protecting myself. Mine were personalized plates for which, in Minnesota, you pay once and they are good for your lifetime. You can transfer them from one vehicle to another as long as it is the same class of vehicle. Thus, if I ever bought another RV I would not have to buy new plates since I could reuse the RV plates from my conversion van. I would, however, still have to pay the tax on my new RV, which is only $25 for an RV in Minnesota no matter what the value of the RV itself. It's a good deal for Minnesota residents. We do, however have state income tax so Minnesota is not usually the choice of a full time RVer.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

That's interesting.  So, you have to have a driver's license in NY before you can get tags on a vehicle?  What would Mrs. Daisy do?

In Texas you have to register cars first unless you can show you don’t own a car that is in the state.  Reason,  lots of people use to get DL so they could cash checks but would wait until registration expired on vehicles before registering them.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

In Texas you have to register cars first unless you can show you don’t own a car that is in the state.  Reason,  lots of people use to get DL so they could cash checks but would wait until registration expired on vehicles before registering them.  

I just found it strange that you have to have a driver's license to own a vehicle in NY.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

That's interesting.  So, you have to have a driver's license in NY before you can get tags on a vehicle?  What would Mrs. Daisy do?

A drivers license or non-drivers license identification to prove you're you...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

36 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

We registered our new car in Texas even though it is titled in Az.  

You didn't have to show any proof of ownership such as the AZ title or the current registration that you were transferring to TX?

Dutch

Bill of sale, etc is what we should including lien holder, notice of AZ electronic title, the registration form, etc.   Folks in Polk a county are easy to work with and said not to worry about transferring the title.   Will do that when we pay off loan.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Yes.  It's called Bonded Title registration.  Tou have to be a NV resident and the vehicle physically present in NV.

https://dmvnv.com/regbonded.htm

Doesn't that serve as an in-state title that's issued after a title search has been conducted to check for theft or liens? That search should turn up the still existing out of state title in someone else's name, likely invalidating issuance of the bonded title.

Dutch

• 4 months later...

Each State is different. In CA the plate stays with the vehicle unless it is a personalized plate which one would remove upon sale of the vehicle. In So Dakota one removes the plate from the sold vehicle at the time of sale or trade in and puts the plate on the new vehicle purchased. I have done it many times on many vehicles. Don’t know anything about any other State ( TX, NY, NV etc ). If a plate is removed by the seller/dealer the buyer is given or can obtain a temporary paper plate. I did this in TX and AZ, usually good for 60 days, in order to drive the vehicle home and get it registered in ones home State. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

NY is the same as Vermont in that we either transfer the plates from a sold vehicle to another vehicle or turn them in to the DMV. The buyer either obtains new plates by presenting a signed title for transfer and a bill of sale or transfers plates from another vehicle to it.

Dutch

I forgot to mention above, in CA the seller files a Relase of Liability with the DMV. That way you are not responsible if the buyer does not re-registure the vehicle in their name. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer