Looking for tow vehicle - 4 down, automatic

travelthere

Am considering getting a motorhome and then a tow vehicle. Have heard that a Jeep Wrangler is good. An SUV would be good for the room. Like the Toyota 4Runner but don't think it can be towed without a lift or trailer. Want one with automatic transmission that I can pull along and don't need on a lift or trailer. 

Seversl of the Fords can be towed 4-down.   We bought a Ford 2018 CMax Hybrid - they even have a section in the owners manual for RVers who are going to tow the car and how to set it up!

Also go check out Motorhome Magazine  and their dinghy towing guides.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Here's the 2019 Towing Guide.  You can also get guides from previous years in case you want to buy used.

https://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorhomemagazine.com/2019DinghyGuide.pdf

If you want an off-roading vehicle but one with a lot more room then you should look at the Jeep Cherokee (different from the Grand Cherokee).  It's a gorgeous car inside and out.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

Lots of Honda CR-Vs out there.

The new CR-V is not towable since the change of transmission so be careful. I believe that 2014 was the last year of the automatic transmission that could be towed and that 2015 was the first year of the CVT transmission that is not towable on it's wheels. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Here's the 2019 Towing Guide.  You can also get guides from previous years in case you want to buy used.

https://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorhomemagazine.com/2019DinghyGuide.pdf

If you want an off-roading vehicle but one with a lot more room then you should look at the Jeep Cherokee (different from the Grand Cherokee).  It's a gorgeous car inside and out.

This provided link by 2gypsies is your best reference, it will not only provide you with the best up-to-date info but explains how 4 down towing is set up.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

22 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Seversl of the Fords can be towed 4-down.   

For goodness sakes DON'T BUY A FIESTA!! There are several HUGE lawsuits against Ford for the lousy transmissions. Google "Ford Fiesta Transmission  issues". Nothing to do with towing them it's just a lousy transmission and they have now admitted it but they are selling off the last of them after ceasing production.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

You'll find many used vehicles for sale already setup for flat-towing on the various RVing discussion websites. Sounds like you want a 4x4 to tow, Jeep is great. I tow a Chevy 4x4 pickup though.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that's the problem. Must be automatic. Don't want to mess with manual. 

Wish that Honda, Acura, and Toyota offered more vehicles with automatic that could flat tow. These all have great long term value with little maintenance. Have heard great things about the Acura ILX as far as resale value and great gas mileage (36 mpg hwy). Would have to have a trailer though. 

May have to settle for a Jeep if I flat tow. 

On 8/24/2019 at 3:29 PM, travelthere said:

Yeah, that's the problem. Must be automatic. Don't want to mess with manual. 

Wish that Honda, Acura, and Toyota offered more vehicles with automatic that could flat tow. These all have great long term value with little maintenance. Have heard great things about the Acura ILX as far as resale value and great gas mileage (36 mpg hwy). Would have to have a trailer though. 

May have to settle for a Jeep if I flat tow. 

don't confuse transfer case with transmission it is possible to have manual transfer case and automatic transmission. the Wrangler is perfect example of this.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

I searched for a toad this year and wound up with the Cherokee TrailHawk.  It came down to three vehicles, The Chevy Equinox, a Buick and the Cherokee.  They all had issues and the Jeep was the least compromised.  The Chevy and Buick RECOMMENDED Premium fuel on the Gas Engine that was towable, The Chevy Diesel required me to get the SunRoof to get the Safety features I wanted the Jeep recommended the Premium fuel in the Overland Model I wanted to get the proper transfer case for towing.  The TrailHawk gave me the V-6 Engine and the towable transfer case.  I just hate the Black Interior otherwise it is ok and it will be the last vehicle I will ever need to purchase at my age.  We have put 2400 miles on it since picking it up on 28 February and are on our first roar trip towing it.  I needed to stay under 5000 pounds for my coach hitch so the All Wheel/4 Wheel drive options are limited.  I looked at the Ford Edge, but they dropped the towable rating for the 2019 models when I placed my order in January.  The Cherokee weighs about 4200, the Equinox is a couple of hundred pounds lighter and the Wrangler is a couple of hundred pounds heavier.  Good Luck and do your research.  Things are changing all the time, I have heard that Ford is now offering an Edge that is towable, just not at the time I was shopping.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

• 2 weeks later...

Advance notice: Our 2015 Lincoln MKT with Blue Ox baseplate and InvisiBrake will be available this winter. Most people don't even think of Lincolns as toweds, but several models are towable. Even though this car is heavier than the 2012 Jeep Liberty it replaced, I don't notice any difference in towing. Where I notice the difference is in the gas mileage. The Lincoln beats the pants off of the Jeep in that regard, and it is much more comfortable, too. In June I had to drive our daughter from Hays, KS to the Denver airport and then get her a week later. I got over 30 mpg on both trips.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

• 2 weeks later...

I had towed an AUTOMATIC transmission 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport model for 5 years with great success, the only "gripe" I ever had was we were unable to put anyone in the back seat unless they were HIGHLY flexible! Just purchased a 2015 GMC Terrain (basically, it's a Chevy Equinox) for (much) more passenger & cargo room - it's working GREAT!