New guy questions for those who know!

Slixter

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

That's a daily sighting on I-94 across North Dakota... F250 all jacked up, 3-axle toy hauler with a boat behind it.... 75mph....

Must be the oilfield mentality. Fairly common in Alberta, too.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

43 minutes ago, BJK said:

I am considering purchasing an HDT to pull my 46’ 5er. My question is, if I’m over length (65’), does it matter that I do actually have a CDL? Is this length limit based on a regular License?  

Your driver's license has nothing to do with state by state length laws. Bring qualified to drive a private and/or commercial vehicle doesn't change the way each state chooses to write and enforce their length laws. Length laws are written about vehicles, not drivers.

In Ohio and Indiana, the length is limited by the fact that an rv is part of the equation. Doesn't matter what the non-commercial tow vehicle might be,  65' for rv's regardless of what else is hooked up.  All bets are off if the total rig is running under commercial regs.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Ok, I think I understand a little better now. The fact that it is a RV puts the 65’ restriction on the combined vehicle. Regardless of my personal licensing. And I’ve read that there are people who have been ticked for length issues. 

That combined with the possible difficulty of navigating some RV parks and places may warrant rethinking the HDT as a pull vehicle on a longer 5th wheel. Perhaps a medium truck will be a better route. 

Thank you for your help and information. It’s quite helpful. 

5 hours ago, BJK said:

I am considering purchasing an HDT to pull my 46’ 5er. My question is, if I’m over length (65’), does it matter that I do actually have a CDL? Is this length limit based on a regular License?  

2 hours ago, BJK said:

And I’ve read that there are people who have been ticked for length issues. 

That combined with the possible difficulty of navigating some RV parks and places may warrant rethinking the HDT as a pull vehicle on a longer 5th wheel. Perhaps a medium truck will be a better route. 

While it is true that some people have been ticketed for overlength it is extremely rare. And despite some peoples claims, you will not be put "out of service" you will simply be issued a ticket, pay it and go on your way.

As far as an MDT and size goes - you do realize that there are short HDTs that have all the mechanical advantages of an HDT (vs. the MDT). Look at 630's and 420's. The truck pictured is a truck I owned and it was our daily driver. It was about 2' longer than my F550 and maneuvered far better. It had a 182" wheelbase. It was a great daily driver, and far more comfortable than any MDT. In new Volvo's you can get an 640 with 4-doors now, if that is a mission requirement. umRUGge563-JLa3Iv_mg_hGawdnlACv6CiF-nPSu0uWycHUBftizTevSUtCRQNnBUxT1mCd87Du7fI4vZLxBWANLD9mrEs6L7CT-r7s_HTVrfVAXzoJXimYgY2yMchCwkW9gdg2YKexsTKMg4MHc61s_lC9NpI3HqacWaXT1yfKGmOLwfkPj4kRm95SR7OIH3bCs40UfggYvKM8089NYt1pO6PqBJVOOzHYOPUROCKntw8pR7O9DF8r8gEhXM4xPjnMKpE4jXzfMAfakLftUvnROSpYCrSjDrI215ZO-jVK1TD-7w4XPN-5mCKfwrGrh7kdmNAXVlDSvMyFsK0orNbWQRc9zLLgF5G6qG2_Rsc7Zl0xnX0mdpCjX6pMzv_pZg31-R5nbJY51DsCdr19WdYiFRtBnP-qQdkoLM5wU6dWKVFm5yljfH3HFh4UU9rBTdueOneHZCo3tb1MjA4lJErVVYhCDFR74v6ylbZ4vQmafYW624l8L_VIsNgh8sAJiWxKti8lX1oY67IOO56fUFEP7T2s6BNTqzDlGQCecq_jIB3rJj6rudbwjPXwbsYNVhMVVfr94fUJ0IOiUWzuQm34ISRLjRxF406o8I82wNNq9WfB495AO-LfHXwCWYi2JNP2FRgNdmFXuTIffYlfKakXLP4wDYR5YkxCyloqzCQrEhypsngVrHP9rPAVEpwcFlYIbI5z8j2SJnbb65PvM12ElGg=w1421-h903-no

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

5 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

To make your thinking harder the HDT with the hitch behind the wheels will probably out handle a smaller truck even in tight quarters.

Jack beat me to it.

Yeah, there is simply NO comparison. My 550 was VERY hard to park a rig with, relative to the 610. Night and day difference with the same trailer in the same parks. For the reason Lance A Lott stated - hitch behind the axle makes all the different in the world. MDTs have the hitch over the axle or slightly forward. Really, unless you need 4-doors I see zero attraction to an MDT. There is not a single attribute of towing that the HDT does not perform better, and there is not comparison in comfort. HDT wins every time.  There are "some" reasons that people prefer an MDT, but they are pretty specialized.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I just got back from a 250 mile trip about half way back I happened to glance at my direct link brake control and it said 5 percent that is not what it should have said. I pulled over and found the conection was loose. After I fixed it I could tell the difference but I had driven over 125 miles with little to no trailer brakes on secondary roads and had not noticed.  That's the real reason for a HDT!

I know for the most part we are talking certain states that tend to enforce the length laws more so than others. But I haven’t seen or read much on how Canada reacts to or what their laws are on the vehicle length. I do plan to travel to Alaska and if I’m say, 70 foot, will Canada even allow me to enter? I know the questions are very basic, as I’m new to the RV lifestyle. But we are looking at full time RVing and I do want all the benefits of the HDT. I spent months (2 years) researching RVs and found the one. It’s a 46’ toy hauler. Having seen (commercial) trucks pull 53’ trailers with HDT at far longer lengths, I did not realize I couldn’t pull an RV with a truck even tho I’d be shorter than them. I had hopes of having the bike and a smart car as well. I’ll say it again, thanks fellas for all of the information and experiences you’re sharing. I am reading it all very closely and will use it to make future decisions. The HDT I am currently looking at does have the fifth wheel behind the axle. It’s good to know that it makes it easier the back than a 550. 

On 8/17/2019 at 8:09 AM, BJK said:

I know for the most part we are talking certain states that tend to enforce the length laws more so than others. But I haven’t seen or read much on how Canada reacts to or what their laws are on the vehicle length. I do plan to travel to Alaska and if I’m say, 70 foot, will Canada even allow me to enter? I know the questions are very basic, as I’m new to the RV lifestyle. But we are looking at full time RVing and I do want all the benefits of the HDT. I spent months (2 years) researching RVs and found the one. It’s a 46’ toy hauler. Having seen (commercial) trucks pull 53’ trailers with HDT at far longer lengths, I did not realize I couldn’t pull an RV with a truck even tho I’d be shorter than them. I had hopes of having the bike and a smart car as well. I’ll say it again, thanks fellas for all of the information and experiences you’re sharing. I am reading it all very closely and will use it to make future decisions. The HDT I am currently looking at does have the fifth wheel behind the axle. It’s good to know that it makes it easier the back than a 550. 

Commercial vs private truck would be comparing apples and oranges. Commercial trucks have no tractor length restrictions, therefore you'll see mammoth size tractors pulling 53' trailers. If you're not plated and operating commercially, you're subject to the individual state RV length laws. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr
Grammar

2 hours ago, BJK said:

This is from the RVDA website. 23m is basically 75 ft. 

Maximum Length for a 2-unit combination is 23 m when the length of the motor vehicle is 12.5 m and less; and 19 m when the length of motor vehicle is between 12.5m and 14m. 6/ Regulations were changed in 2010 to allow a maximum of 14 metres for all buses and RVs, without a permit.

2 hours ago, BJK said:

Canada border personel do not care how long you are ,its not their mission.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

8 hours ago, BJK said:

Having seen (commercial) trucks pull 53’ trailers with HDT at far longer lengths, I did not realize I couldn’t pull an RV with a truck even tho I’d be shorter than them. 

Jay touched on most of the reasons but you need to get your terminology straight. You have never seen a commercial "truck" pulling a 53' trailer (except a car hauler). You have seen commercial TRACTORS pulling 53' trailers. There is no length for a TRACTOR itself in most cases. If you add a load bearing bed (like we do to haul a smart or a motorcycle), even if registered commercially, a tractor becomes a truck...a tractor can only tow, not haul, its load.  Once we register our HDT's for personal use, we are either MH's or trucks. And (using Texas law as an example) a "truck" or MH pulling a trailer (or two) can only be 65' bumper to bumper. 

Brochure with pictures HERE

6 hours ago, Slixter said:

This is from the RVDA website. 23m is basically 75 ft. 

Maximum Length for a 2-unit combination is 23 m when the length of the motor vehicle is 12.5 m and less; and 19 m when the length of motor vehicle is between 12.5m and 14m. 6/ Regulations were changed in 2010 to allow a maximum of 14 metres for all buses and RVs, without a permit.

I have no idea what all those metric measurements are, but the RVDA does not write the laws and 75 ft is overlength and illegal in Texas and many other states. If you are going to quote law, you might want to check the actual law in each state. Length laws vary widely from state to state. 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thank you big5er, but I also could argue that I have in fact seen “commercial” trucks (using your terminology) with the 110” sleepers hauling “motorcycles”  behind the cab and a moving van box trailers. I’m not arguing semantics, but I am interested in learning what you guys have to share. I see it will be up to the knowledge and interpretation of the law of the LEO you encounter. That being said, I am curious, with a longer rig, do you find it challenging to find RV parks to accommodate your set ups?  How much does the HDT play into the difficulty of remaining in your allotted RV space?  How do you guys deal with this she issues? If you’re in the 65’ or longer range. 

We're 70'.  43' of that is trailer.  We rarely have an issue in campgrounds, and have never had to leave a park, always fit it in.  That said, I've had a couple of "challenging" spots.  It's fun when all the neighbors stand and point, knowing it'll take a while, and you nail it first time.  Rule #1, never screw up in front of an audience. 😁

Seriously, while the wheelbases and geometry is different from a dually, it'll do pretty much the same thing, in the same space, with a little practice.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, BJK said:

. I’m not arguing semantics, but I am interested in learning what you guys have to share. 

It's not semantics, it is the legal definition. Go look it up yourself. You asked a question and then want to debate the answer. I just love people like you. 

See my signature line. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 8/13/2019 at 9:40 PM, Big5er said:

Because typically RV's are NOT HDT's. The typical long RV is a truck and a trailer or a motorhome and a trailer. 
Can you imagine what some of these idiots would hook behind an F-250 if they could? A 40ft fifth wheel and a 20ft Ski Boat?

True story, I once passed a Ram 1500 shortbed pulling a fifth wheel and a PONTOON boat.  Going 45 down the interstate with the nose pointed at the sky.