HELP! 8 Weeks in the US - Buy vs. Outdoorsy vs. CruiseAmerica

AdamKPL

4 minutes ago, pethier said:

Access to gasoline has been a problem for me while towing my car trailer with my Super-C. I'm so tired of hearing truck-stop people tell me "it's out front for the cars".

I want to start a database of places where one can get gasoline as easily as diesel.  If there is already such a database, please point me to it!

At least I know that I can get gasoline at the Stockman's Truck Stop just off I-494 in South Saint Paul Minnesota.

I'm not sure what your problem is.  The truck stops we've stopped at have diesel in the rear and gas in the front.  Why would you expect gas in the rear?  Semi trucks don't use gas.  If your Super C is diesel there shouldn't be an issue with getting it in the rear.  We always saw RVs using the diesel pumps "out back".  No issue.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Flying J and some other truck stops have a special RV island that has both gasoline and diesel available as well as water, propane and a dump station. If you burn gasoline you just pick stations with a large area to manuver and you should be good to go. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I'm not sure what your problem is.  The truck stops we've stopped at have diesel in the rear and gas in the front.  Why would you expect gas in the rear?  Semi trucks don't use gas.  If your Super C is diesel there shouldn't be an issue with getting it in the rear.  We always saw RVs using the diesel pumps "out back".  No issue.

I believe they want to pump diesel into the super C and gas into the toad on the trailer without having to move from truck lanes to auto lanes.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

7 minutes ago, filthy-beast said:

I believe they want to pump diesel into the super C and gas into the toad on the trailer without having to move from truck lanes to auto lanes.

In that case it is usually possible to get both from the outside end pumps of most stations that have both products. We fuel our diesel truck with travel trailer in tow at such stations on a frequent basis. Nearly all Walmart stations now carry both and can be accessed even by large RVs.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Let me point out something different. In order to camp on the Valley Floor in Yosemite you will have to win their camping lottery. They run the lottery 7 months to the hour before the dates you want to reserve. And you HAVE to be online and ready to reserve a spot at the right minute to have any chance of getting what you want. Sites go within minutes and I am not exaggerating.

They may have changed the details so you need to carefully examine their website for instructions.

14 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Flying J and some other truck stops have a special RV island that has both gasoline and diesel available as well as water, propane and a dump station. 

Is there a listing anywhere of the locations of these places?  I'm happy to preplan my fuel stops on trips to places I have not been, but the few guides I have seen with "RV-Friendly" notes have been unreliable for big-rig gasoline.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

I side with the others that option 1 is not a viable and good option.  Renting from El Monte or another company is good.  

My wife and I full-time in a 33 foot Class C that has a gasoline engine.  Towing is not a problem on the highway.  Problem we have with towing is that many gas stations do not have gas fuel lanes that can accommodate the RV and car in tow in regards to being able to navigate safely to the fuel pump and back out.  This is especially true if the exit from the pump is at 90 degree angle.  Remember tail swing.  We had a 23 foot Class C previously and that was not as bad to get in and out with.  Just some thoughts to consider when towing a car and driving a gas Class C.  

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF