We looked at a trailer today we are considering buying...

oldbutspry

Here's the one we are thinking of getting.  Any advice appreciated.  It is only for camping and trips, not living in.  Yes, it's a cheap trailer for the price.  No slides.  And it's new but a 2019 model.  We really weren't planning on buying new but the price isn't that much more than the slightly used ones we are seeing locally.

2019 KEYSTONE HIDEOUT LHS 262

ETA: We didn't get into negotiating price.  I'm thinking they won't come down much farther but don't know.  They are offering to sell a 'starter kit' and sway hitch with it.  I'm guessing those are marked way up.  I might buy those extras later - still thinking about which way is best.

Do I need a sway hitch even with a big truck like my F450?  If so, will most any sway hitch do or are there certain types for certain trailers?

Edited by oldbutspry

My son-in-law was in a similar situation. Military family of four with a greyhound they needed more room than what we have in our Nash 17K. They liked the Nash but this brand, even used, to fit his family and a usage as a monthly warrior and maybe one or two extended trips a year was way out of his price range. I advised him to buy a reasonable platform and we can “tweak “ like I modified my Nash. He found a very similar 2019 Forest River 27’ travel trailer that had a fantastic price, so they bought the Forest River. I mean this is a basic bunk house trailer. I think it’s around fully loaded weight of 6,000# with twin 3,500# axles.

By “tweaking” I mean isolating the air conditioner to where it can be the only thing plugged into shore power or small generator, swapping batteries, adding a true battery motoring system like a Tri-Metric Meter TM-2025, adding a good large pure sin wave inverter, and adding solar/associated solar equipment. Their first outing was a 10- day round trip Scott AFB  to Air Force academy.  After the alterations we made they name the trailer the “Bunker”. Long story short after the mods they say it met their needs perfectly.

Regarding the anti-sway. Their tow vehicle is a ¾ ton 2005 Dodge Cummins diesel.  They wanted a Hensley Arrow like we have but again based on their anticipated usage it was priced out of their range.  They decided on a Fastway e2 with Integrated Sway Control.  He said even across the plains of the Dakotas and Kansas the trailer NEVER swayed or got sucked in by passing semis.  We followed him westward for a while in our Tundra-Hensley-Nash 17 combo out of Scott AFB before tuning south to heading back to SE Texas and I can confirm that I never saw their combo get sucked in or sway.

2022 F-250 4X4 LB SC Godzilla V8 /2014 Northwood Nash 17K/SKP098347

11 hours ago, oldbutspry said:

Here's the one we are thinking of getting.  Any advice appreciated.  It is only for camping and trips, not living in.  Yes, it's a cheap trailer for the price.  No slides.  And it's new but a 2019 model.  We really weren't planning on buying new but the price isn't that much more than the slightly used ones we are seeing locally. 2019 KEYSTONE HIDEOUT LHS 262

This looks like it could be perfect for what you're going to use it for, and with no slides there will be greater wall integrity. Looks like there's enough room for waiting out the storm with the seating & bedding as well. 

11 hours ago, oldbutspry said:

They are offering to sell a 'starter kit' and sway hitch with it.  I'm guessing those are marked way up.  I might buy those extras later - still thinking about which way is best. Do I need a sway hitch even with a big truck like my F450?  If so, will most any sway hitch do or are there certain types for certain trailers?

A sway control is a good idea with a travel trailer of that size, sort of a billboard on wheels with a pivot point behind your truck. Have your trailer's specs in hand when shopping online and you'll probably find what you need. You'll also get an idea on pricing to compare to the deal that the dealer is offering. Some hitches are both weight distribution & sway control but with your F450 sway control could be the focus, prolly don't need to be concerned about the weight distributing aspect with that travel trailer matched to that truck.

Spot