Quiet time?

63belv

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Since we're guessing, I'd guess that the great majority of entry level campers are propane only, unless the buyer upgrades to a gas/electric model.  Now, if we're talking diesel pushers, probably not many propane only water heaters out there.

I've owned at least fifteen rv's in my time, only one came with a propane/electric combo water heater.  I did, however, convert several others by adding the electric element.  https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Diamond/DGR6VP.html?feed=npn&msclkid=eb42129613cc17a3708b4fc0bf1c63d6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shop - All&utm_term=4577266908256271&utm_content=Catch All Products

Well, like I said "you learn something every day".  We started with a used Keystone Montana fiver and every RV after that, including that one always came with a propane/electric water heater, except our current model of course.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

10 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Every 30 amp TT or motorhome I've owned had an OEM propane only water heater. A couple of them did have an aftermarket electric add-on though.

Our Coachman Class C, Monaco Travel Trailer, Aspen Trail Travel Trailer and Hemisphere Travel Trailer have all had propane/electric water heaters and all were 30 amp. The big issue with that is that if you are running the AC and the water heater on electric, you are in the high 20's for amp draw. It doesn't take much more to overload either the pedestal or the RV breaker. At least some of the suburban water heaters have the switch for the electric element on the heater itself so that one must go outside to turn it on and off. I find that to be a pain.

Obviously I wasn't speaking to all 30 amp RV's, just the ones I have owned over the course of many years. Heck, my 1986 Dolphin Class C had a standing pilot water heater that I had to go outside to light. I soon swapped it for a DSI heater I had on hand though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

22 hours ago, noteven said:

My new camper has a Coleman AC unit designed by deaf people. The Honda 2000 running it is drowned out quite nicely. 😀

OK,  I'm slow, I just got it.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/15/2019 at 2:27 AM, Lou Schneider said:

there's no reason to leave the engine running after you get to the campsite

That is YOUR opinion. My truck runs until the trailer is level, the A/C is on and the slides are out. That is because the dogs are in the truck with the A/C running. One of my girls just freaks out when the walls move. Therefore they both stay in the truck until the trailer is set up.
If my truck idling for 10 minutes bothers anyone so much I will be more than happy to let them walk my dogs and babysit them, inside their trailer, until I am done. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 8/16/2019 at 10:56 AM, TravellingCircus said:

Have you ever had any real world complaints about propane  water heaters? My point is that the complaint is rather ludicrous and if one is that sensitive to sound, maybe the dispersed type camping I mentioned before is the better option for them.

You have to have experienced both, an LP burner that is properly adjusted and have been cleaned as recommended in the owners manual, or, an LP burner that has not been properly maintained and sounds like an old 150,000btu kerosene space heater.(salamander)

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961