Jump to content
63belv

Quiet time?

Recommended Posts

Gasser for me... although rare these days, could vapor lock while sitting off, and restart tried before cooling off, if the conditions are right. If the staff would like me to shut down, I would ask they allow me to park and hook up, then I will come back for paperwork.  They likely already have collected the first night as a deposit.

A electric rad fan is on my to-do list, not only for efficiency, but for better idle cooling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, and a meteor could fall out of the sky while you're parked at the office registering and disable your potty.

Tens of millions of gasoline vehicles are shut down and restarted while hot every hour of every day without vapor locking.  I can't remember the last time I even heard of a vehicle vapor locking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, a good reminder why I stopped posting. While you may disagree, other have reasons for keeping cool, maybe even medical needs. Signing out until I forget unproductive, and maybe written as nastygram or just smart Alec replies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I can't remember the last time I even heard of a vehicle vapor locking.

I think that pretty much ended with the placement of the fuel pump in the fuel tank. 

But I did enter many a campground in summer with the generator running to keep the a/c on or back before we retired we often had dinner cooking in a crockpot sitting in the sink that required electric power. I can't recall every having been asked/told to shut down the generator prior to being hooked up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Shutting off the generator while checking in is ok (and the A/C) but I have been told that it is bad for a Diesel engine to shut off and turn back on right away also that you should let it idle before shutting off to allow it to cooll down. I don’t shut my Diesel off until I am parked and the jacks are down and I’m level. 

You should let a diesel run for a few minutes after a hard pull, including running at highway speeds, to let the turbo cool down.   If you drove for a half mile at city speeds getting to the check-in station that's more than enough time to dissipate the highway heat.

Stopping and restarting a diesel within a short period of time is no harder on it than on a gas engine.   Have some consideration for your neighbors - there's no reason to leave the engine running after you get to the campsite or  while you're off doing something else.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dp26 said:

Yep, a good reminder why I stopped posting. While you may disagree, other have reasons for keeping cool, maybe even medical needs. Signing out until I forget unproductive, and maybe written as nastygram or just smart Alec replies 

I don't have a problem with someone running their vehicle to keep it cool while registering.  I just don't see the need to spout nonsense to try and justify it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original poster didn't break no rules and if it was me I would have kept the Jenny running until quiet time! And as far as Air Conditioners when you stay in the south; Campers run them 24/7. As long as no one is breaking the rules; let them complain! He wasn't being unruly; he shut it down! Rant over!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

We always turn off the generator and the engine when we pull in to register, even in 100+ weather.  Never have had a problem then going to the site and setting up.   If hot, electric first, I then run inside and make sure the A/C is on, and then we go about doing everything else.  No need waste diesel for a few minutes worth.   Is your insulation that bad that the interior won't stay cool for 30 minutes?

Barb

Personal preference I guess.  I have never pulled off the highway after having a load on my diesel engine and just shut it down.  Guess I was always taught to let it idle and cool down for several minutes.  

I always plug in the electric first to check it at the site.  There is no use in doing anything else until you know 100% that the pedestal is actually good.  I also like to take the load off my generator for a few minutes and then shut it down.

Getting 6.5mpg average I don't really worry about "wasting a few minutes of diesel" in the whole scheme of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 2:12 PM, sandsys said:

I had a neighbor complain about the noise of my water pump! I switched to city water to accommodate her but then the water in my tank gets stale.

I've complained about gas water heaters, which are an explosion followed by a  jet engine. People just leave them on 24/7, not realizing how loud they are at 3am.

Please, when in close proximity to other campers, turn off the water heater.

Edited by hemsteadc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have a choice. I have to let my motor run until I have my jacks down and I’m level. Can’t operate the jacks without the motor running. As soon as I am level I shut off the motor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

I don’t have a choice. I have to let my motor run until I have my jacks down and I’m level. Can’t operate the jacks without the motor running. As soon as I am level I shut off the motor. 

Which shows difference in rig design.  And notice you said you shut down immediately after leveling, not after you’ve finished all of your set up activities, like most people getting into any site.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, as soon as I am level I shut the motor off, hook up my electric, go inside and put the slides out, start my A/C, and go back outside to hook up water and sewer. I am a solo so I have to do everything myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Guess I was always taught to let it idle and cool down for several minutes.  

Check your owner's manual as things have changed. It has been quite some time since that was required. A friend or ours had a 2012 Cummins powered pusher that when in for service the Cummins tech told him that based on the computer data report he had been letting it idle too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the time you get off the highway and roll up to the check in, the diesel has cooled down enough. Same goes for warming it up in the early morning.  By the time you get to the highway, it's warmed up enough.  Did it for 8 years with no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I've complained about gas water heaters, which are an explosion followed by a  jet engine. People just leave them on 24/7, not realizing how loud they are at 3am.

Please, when in close proximity to other campers, turn off the water heater.

ANY LP water heater burner that is that loud is out of adjustment, and requires regular maintenance performed; OR it is so rusty it should be replaced. You must stand beside mine to hear the burner.

Edited by Ray,IN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

ANY LP water heater burner that is that loud is out of adjustment, and requires regular maintenance performed; OR it is so rusty it should be replaced. You must stand beside mine to hear the burner.

Or just run your water heater on electric unless you're boondocking. Why burn your propane when you can use electricity you've already paid for?

If you can hear a water heater in the site next to you cycling on gas you need to get a better tent, or ear plugs because I've never heard such a thing from my 5th wheel. Furnaces, maybe but not water heaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TravellingCircus said:

Or just run your water heater on electric unless you're boondocking. Why burn your propane when you can use electricity you've already paid for?

Many RV water heaters are porpane only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Check your owner's manual as things have changed. It has been quite some time since that was required. A friend or ours had a 2012 Cummins powered pusher that when in for service the Cummins tech told him that based on the computer data report he had been letting it idle too much. 

No need to check my Cummins manual again Kirk.  At my initial service on my 2017 the certified mechanic in charge of their shop and I had a long discussion about my engine and the load I was pulling.  He said if coming directly off an interstate to fuel up or stop in a rest area the motor needed to idle for a short time.  If driving at 30mph or so for a few miles after having a heavy load on then the idle down time wasn't important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Many RV water heaters are porpane only. 

You learn something everyday.  I have never heard of a propane only water heater on an RV.  I would question the fact that "many" water heaters in RVs are propane only though.  I would guess that the vast majority are electric and propane, probably 95%.  Just guessing though Kirk, you have more experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

You learn something everyday.  I have never heard of a propane only water heater on an RV.  I would question the fact that "many" water heaters in RVs are propane only though.  I would guess that the vast majority are electric and propane, probably 95%.  Just guessing though Kirk, you have more experience.

Propane only water heaters are quite common in smaller TT's and motorized RV's. About the only type I haven't seen in years are standing pilot models, although lower end pop-ups with minimal electrical systems may still use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

You learn something everyday.  I have never heard of a propane only water heater on an RV.  I would question the fact that "many" water heaters in RVs are propane only though.  I would guess that the vast majority are electric and propane, probably 95%.  Just guessing though Kirk, you have more experience.

Since we're guessing, I'd guess that the great majority of entry level campers are propane only, unless the buyer upgrades to a gas/electric model.  Now, if we're talking diesel pushers, probably not many propane only water heaters out there.

I've owned at least fifteen rv's in my time, only one came with a propane/electric combo water heater.  I did, however, convert several others by adding the electric element.  https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Diamond/DGR6VP.html?feed=npn&msclkid=eb42129613cc17a3708b4fc0bf1c63d6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shop - All&utm_term=4577266908256271&utm_content=Catch All Products

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Many RV water heaters are porpane only. 

Have you ever had any real world complaints about propane  water heaters? My point is that the complaint is rather ludicrous and if one is that sensitive to sound, maybe the dispersed type camping I mentioned before is the better option for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a very good site and I like to read it on a regular basis to  note how many problems we have never had. We have only been at this for 25 years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TravellingCircus said:

Have you ever had any real world complaints about propane  water heaters? My point is that the complaint is rather ludicrous and if one is that sensitive to sound, maybe the dispersed type camping I mentioned before is the better option for them.

This is exactly the kind of  attitude that keeps me  camping as far away from others as possible as often as possible.

Edited by hemsteadc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

This is exactly the kind of  attitude that keeps me  camping as far away from others as possible as often as possible.

See you solved your own problem, and I'm sure it's appreciated by many. 

Are you sure you weren't hearing the furnace? I haven't heard of any full-timers complaining of something so minor...campers on the other hand, apparently it is possible.

Try to keep your trails happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...