Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just made a day off trip from our volunteering job in the forest to another forest so we could be out of the compound. We live in a class a but took our old class c for the trip and ran the generator for a/c. We pulled into our site and by the time we had the envelope filled out to pay we had a neighbor there that wanted to know if that was my generator. Now the old 83 generator is noisy but it was 6 o'clock in the afternoon and we had been there about 3 minutes. I told him I was shutting it down soon so he walked away. Quiet time was 10 pm to 6am . I'm an old man but that old man needs to mind his own business next time I'll shut it down at 9:59. Please leave your neighbors alone if they are within the rules I tell my campers that all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U were a lot nicer then I would have been.  My response would have been to run the gennie until quiet time.  If he bothered me again before that time, I would have notified the check in people or park rangers.  😡

Edited by jc2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 63belv said:

Now the old 83 generator is noisy but it was 6 o'clock in the afternoon

Do you know what the db rating of your generator is? The Forest Service does not have a set level in their regulations. Be aware that the National Park Service does

 

Quote

 

(a) The following are prohibited:

(1) Operating motorized equipment or machinery such as an electric generating plant, motor vehicle, motorized toy, or an audio device, such as a radio, television set, tape deck or musical instrument, in a manner: (i) That exceeds a noise level of 60 decibels measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet; or, if below that level,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that "How noisy?" is a fair question.  Even though quiet hours are stated, there is a reasonable expectation that folks try to keep noise to a decent level. I've been places where open-framed contractor generators were so loud that being even 100' away was painful. 

We were camped in a relatively unregulated park where a young man decided to roll all of his car windows down and play his stereo at full volume. I was camped next to him and didn't hesitate to walk over and ask him (firmly) to turn it off.  

Common sense matters...

Edited by mptjelgin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The technology exists now, might be worthwhile to upgrade to a newer genny.  Being a good neighbor isnt a requirement for life, but it makes it alot easier to go thru it if you try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I think that "How noisy?" is a fair question.  Even though quiet hours are stated, there is a reasonable expectation that folks try to keep noise to a decent level. I've been places where open-framed contractor generators were so loud that being even 100' away was painful. 

We were camped in a relatively unregulated park where a young man decided to roll all of his car windows down and play his stereo at full volume. I was camped next to him and didn't hesitate to walk over and ask him (firmly) to turn it off.  

Common sense matters...

And if it wasnt during quiet hours, you could be told firmly to leave their campsite. So then your recourse would be to let park officials take up the issue.

Edited by TravellingCircus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TravellingCircus said:

And if it wasnt during quiet hours, you could be told firmly to leave their campsite. So then your recourse would be to let park officials to take you the issue.

Absolutely. Like all human interactions you run the risk of someone being completely unreasonable or aggressive.  But I've found that most people, when their disruptive behavior is brought to their attention, will make an effort to be a bit more courteous.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, dartmouth01 said:

The technology exists now, might be worthwhile to upgrade to a newer genny.  Being a good neighbor isnt a requirement for life, but it makes it alot easier to go thru it if you try.

Being a good neighbor also entails minding your own business until laws or regulations are being violated and or you are in an actual (not preceived) position of being physically impacted.

There seems to be an inherent prejudice against gensets. I've been to a cg where people were griping about a gennie running but nothing was said about noisy AC units running constantly even during quiet hours.

People need to grow up, if they don't want what comes with being around others then they need to go to desolate dispersed campgrounds. You can hope that others are a courteous as you but don't expect it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Absolutely. Like all human interactions you run the risk of someone being completely unreasonable or aggressive.  But I've found that most people, when their disruptive behavior is brought to their attention, will make an effort to be a bit more courteous.

 

 

Agreed, for me, it all depends of the type of demographics of the cg I'm in. In some, I would ask myself and others I would just let the park office know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TravellingCircus said:

I've been to a cg where people were griping about a gennie running but nothing was said about noisy AC units running constantly even during quiet hours.

I had a neighbor complain about the noise of my water pump! I switched to city water to accommodate her but then the water in my tank gets stale.

That's when I decided I would go back to two weeks in and one week out rather than park in the long term section where sites are very narrow.

Linda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, richfaa said:

Fortunately we do not have these problems. 

We must stay in the same campgrounds. ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know we have been camping for decades and have stayed in  countless campgrounds all over the country. We have been in CG,s with kids running all over the place riding bikes etc they are called family campgrounds  our favorite  local CG is a family campground.We have never been subject to drunken nearby parties loud generators running next door music blaring out of campers or cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richfaa said:

I don't know we have been camping for decades and have stayed in  countless campgrounds all over the country. We have been in CG,s with kids running all over the place riding bikes etc they are called family campgrounds  our favorite  local CG is a family campground.We have never been subject to drunken nearby parties loud generators running next door music blaring out of campers or cars.

You haven't really "camped" until you stay in a public, destination "recreation" (water, sand etc) sports park on a holiday weekend 😆

I myself try to avoid such places. We prefer mom and pop owned RV parks where they have a good handle on controlling the weekend hero type partiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sandsys said:

I had a neighbor complain about the noise of my water pump! I switched to city water to accommodate her but then the water in my tank gets stale.

That's when I decided I would go back to two weeks in and one week out rather than park in the long term section where sites are very narrow.

Linda

Some people seem to just have to find any reason to complain. I've read google reviews of our favorite RV park complaining it was too quiet....go figure.🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To some people a drunken party is just regular folks having a good time.  I agree with the post above, that if you don't like being around and putting up with other people, a public campground is probably not a good choice for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 9:30 AM, TravellingCircus said:

There seems to be an inherent prejudice against gensets. I've been to a cg where people were griping about a gennie running but nothing was said about noisy AC units running constantly even during quiet hours.

Just wondering why there would be generators in a place with electric for the ACs?

In our experiences of staying in public campgrounds and also volunteering in public campgrounds is that on Fridays when weekenders come in they get set up and everyone is so hyped up that it may be noisier - everyone, including the kids and adults and even pets are excited for their few days of time off.  On Saturday they cram everything in..... hiking, fishing, swimming, site seeing and on Saturday night they're exhausted and there's a notable difference of noise.  On Sunday they leave.  The same for the big 3-day weekends.  Everyone just expects this activity on the first night... park personnel and visitors alike.

'Destination' RV parks are the same although it very well could be a lot more 'festive' since those kinds of parks don't typically draw active RVers.  They're more of the party-type not site seerers and hikers who wear themselves out.  Plus, with electric they'll have the televisions outside, party lights, etc.

The only way you'll get perfect quiet is to boondock on national forest or BLM land.  Then you can find your own space and listen to the night animals and view the stars in darkness.  That's what we like!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Just wondering why there would be generators in a place with electric for the ACs?

It was an NFS cg that had a loop that was mixed elect and dry sites, putting both users right next to each other🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we pull into many CG's this time of year our generator may be running for 15 or 20 minutes prior to us getting everything hooked up.  I would certainly be shocked if someone came by and made a comment about it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 8:01 PM, FL-JOE said:

When we pull into many CG's this time of year our generator may be running for 15 or 20 minutes prior to us getting everything hooked up.  I would certainly be shocked if someone came by and made a comment about it.  

If needed, mu gen goes on at least 30 min before arrival, and goes off 15 to 30 after plug in (assuming hookups). Need to get and keep the inside cool, without having the engine heat overwhelm the AC. If really hot, the engine may also be running so the engine ac to help. This includes/covers the check in lane, as sometimes check in can take awhilem

We almost always arrive before dark. No complaints so far, including no gen at all locations.

Same of the power goes out or is low voltage (which autoformer cannot handle), if needed, gen is used with no complaints so far, even if no gen locations, or outside quiet time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always turn off the generator and the engine when we pull in to register, even in 100+ weather.  Never have had a problem then going to the site and setting up.   If hot, electric first, I then run inside and make sure the A/C is on, and then we go about doing everything else.  No need waste diesel for a few minutes worth.   Is your insulation that bad that the interior won't stay cool for 30 minutes?

Barb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 ft class c. Engine heat radiates in cab, although we have added insulation which helps. 3 greyhounds, 3 humans, one AC. One human is of the age where hot and cold comes in "flashes".

The few cents of fuel we burn is nothing compared to having overheated occupants.

Because of where we live, when we go east during anytime other than winter, we have at least one overnight in high temps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shutting off the generator while checking in is ok (and the A/C) but I have been told that it is bad for a Diesel engine to shut off and turn back on right away also that you should let it idle before shutting off to allow it to cooll down. I don’t shut my Diesel off until I am parked and the jacks are down and I’m level. Then I plug into shore power, put the slides out,turn on the A/C and go back out and hook up the water and sewer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you pull into the park doing highway speeds?  We usually have a couple of miles after exiting the highway where we are going slow. You don't have to sit at idle, putting out diesel fumes into the park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

Cummins Home Generators

RVTravel.com Logo

Make Money and RV Logo



×
×
  • Create New...