Generator for TT. How many of you have one?

rollindowntheroad

On 8/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, agesilaus said:

BTW,  it is much easier and faster to simply cut the plastic case/handles instead of taking the time to cut a cable, chain,or padlock. The  only portable gensets with an exposed steel framework are construction gensets,

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually Champion inverter gens, at least the one I have, comes with a steel tube frame.

Is that steel frame exposed, as I said????? If not, how do you propose to run a chain/cable through it???

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We purchased a Briggs & Stratton 3300 in March.  We used it for 2 hours a day (late afternoon) while we were on BLM land in the Badlands.  Mostly to recharge house batteries, laptops an cell phones.

We keep it in the  bed of our 2016 Ford that has a Lomax diamond plate cover.

Edited by BlueRoadBlogger
additional info

On 8/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, agesilaus said:

If you decide to buy a gen set my advise is to buy a Champion, you can get their 2KW unit for $400 and our larger unit was $525. You can buy four or more of these Champions for the price of one Honda or Yamaha

Just came thru Roseburg,Or two weeks ago and stopped at Costco they had the 2kw Yamaha generators w/parallel kits for $399 out the door (no sales tax).So I got 2   

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here in OK power outages are a very common occurence in spring and fall. Severe weather season 2 to 3 outages a week sometimes. And when its out no not an hour more like 4 to 6.  My Onan in my truck weighs 800 pounds and its bolted to the bed. Hmm not going anywhere good luck carrying it.  It sure is nice to startup the ol 12.5kw and go back in the house. Even it has to run days at a time no problem. My shih tzu would not like being without his air conditioning in the intense heat. Especially in July when it seemed we were having rolling brown outs. 

Get an older onan a 4.0BFA or Marquis 5000. Quiet fuel efficient and built like a tank.

Edited by Consolenut

I don't believe the generators sold in Costco are actually Yamaha generators. i have seen gennys at Costco with Yamaha engines but they were not true Yamaha generators. They may still be good generators though.    Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

• 1 month later...

i own a eu3000, for my fifth wheel. only one ac so no problem. six 6 volt deep cycle, and just might add in some solar this spring. so no matter the reason i will have plenty of juice. i do have a med need for a air pump on over night, and full time air filters/fan.

have only used a park once in over 10 years, (this june will be in a park).

just bought a bunch of steel to build a carrier for the back of my rv,  the eu will be bolted too,  and in a welded cage so not easy to just walk away, and the carrier will not be so easy to carry off.

but yes if a bunch of goons want it.... it is gone.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Westinghouse iGen4500 dual fuel and love it.  During travel it does inside the TT's door, which is pretty easy to do because it's only 104 pounds.  It only goes when we are dry camping and expect to need power, such as for air conditioning, or many days without power and need to recharge batteries.  For a 2-3 day trip without AC it's just not needed.  The remote start is pretty awesome, it's very quiet, and is just great all around.  It's mostly been used on propane, since that's conveniently already on board, and safer/cleaner than gas.  Just plug it into the grill outlet at the back of the RV and hit the start button.