Recreation.gov//ReserveAmerica.com

Kirk W

Discussions of staying in national and state parks got me to thinking about the fact that I have not used the two websites that used to be my mainstay for locating and reserving sites in federal parks for some time. I just went in and looked at each of them and I find both of them to be very different from when I last used them. That leads me to belive that it would be helpful to many of the readers of these forums if there were a discuss of the site ReserveAmerica.com and of Recreation.gov and what you think of each one and how it is best used. Because both are quite different from when I last used them, if you have had experience with either of them, please post some thoughts about the experiences.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, both sites have changed over time. Recreation.gov was probably the biggest change that occurred when Booz, Allen took over the contract from Aspira, the ReserveAmerica.com folks. I don't care for the new Recreation.gov layout, but I have managed to come to terms with it and find my way around without too much frustration. The new ReserveAmerica site on the other hand, beyond the minor frustrations of learning any new layout, I do like and find quite easy to use.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Dutch. I found the recreation.gov new website not as easy to use as the old one. I don’t know if it was my devices (yes, I was using 4!), but the server was very slow to load available sites and refresh at a critical time while booking Yosemite reservations early in the morning of the booking window. I recently logged into Reserve America. I was disappointed to find that they didn’t archive my old California State Park reservations as California unfortunately  switched to their own reservation site. I was trying to pull up old campsite numbers that I had stayed in. I haven’t used the updated Reserve America site for booking yet.

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T

ReserveAmerica got so bad a few years ago Indiana dropped them for their state parks reservation system, and returned to running their own reservation website.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

No doubt that the old...meaning two changes ago site, was much better. I also find the Recreation.gov the worst of the two. The map is awful. I understand part of the problem was that the company that had these sites for years was not required to hand over their database when it changed hands. And it didn't. But the current company should have done some beta tests before putting the new site up.