F250 vs F350

kb0zke

Next year we hope to turn our Foretravel MH and Lincoln MKT towed into a pickup and Airstream. Both will be purchased used. The target Airstream is an early 2000's 34' with a gross weight of 9800 pounds and about 1000 pounds on the tongue. The target truck will be 2013-15 diesel crew cab. We'll probably have about 1000 pounds of stuff in the bed of the truck, including the cover.

I've heard various opinions on the two trucks. Some say that there is little difference between the two, while others say there are huge differences. IS there much difference? Prices seem to be very similar for similar equipment and miles, so an F350 isn't any more expensive than a similar F250. I understand that both trucks have various possible weight ratings, but since I'm buying used I'll have to choose carefully. I believe that both trucks have 10,000 GVWR options since that weight keeps the trucks under 10,001 weight triggers in some States.

Thoughts?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

You can go to manufacture web-sites and get manufacture's recommendations for each size/model/package.  Compare between years, 1/2, 3/4 and won ton models.  Don't leave out the 2500/3500 models either.  My truck has several trim levels in each model and can make a sizable difference in pay load.  If I may suggest, figure out what is within desired limits and go one size larger in truck.  Or atleast don't go over 80% of max load for the specific truck.  I have not looked at those weights for a couple years, saying that, I bet a 3/4 ton set up with proper engine and drive train ratio would be good.  Short/long bed?  It's only myself and wife, some times our dog but I do fine with a short bed and mega cab.  My truck is registered for 16,000 GVWR, I can go higher if I want.  This is ND, each state is different.  You can see by my signature I went serious overkill on capacities but I believe in a couple years we are getting a bigger RV, did not want to mess with getting a bigger truck if/when we do.  Yes, it rides a little harder than a 3/4 ton, that is the off-side.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

The biggest difference between the F-250 and 350 I believe is that the 350 has an additional leaf spring. This could make a difference if you were getting a 5th wheel but with a bumper pull it might not matter, unless you think you may possibly move up to a 5er in the future. I had a 2012 F-350 Turbo Diesel with the factory 5th wheel prep package when I had a 5th wheel before I bought my Class A. Could not tow it 4 down. I think from 2015 or 2016 they can be towed 4 down. In 2011 Ford went to a 6.7 L Diesel Motor. Do not get a 6.0 or 6.4 older motor. Ford had problems with them. However, the 2013-2015 models should have the better 6.7

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Thanks. A 5'er is NOT in the cards for us. The order of events is to sell the Foretravel, move into temporary quarters (we're full-timers), trade the MKT for the pickup, then get the Airstream. Since Airstreams don't have much exterior storage, most of what is in the basement of the Foretravel will have to be in the bed of the truck. That's what I'm concerned about.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

4 hours ago, kb0zke said:

The target Airstream is an early 2000's 34' with a gross weight of 9800 pounds and about 1000 pounds on the tongue. The target truck will be 2013-15 diesel crew cab. We'll probably have about 1000 pounds of stuff in the bed of the truck, including the cover.

I have towed a 9880# and now 9680# with a 2500 and now 3500 pickup. I would count on closer to 1200# for tongue weight. If you add a second battery and larger propane tanks than the OEM ones, that will add weight. If you put a solid cap rather than a tonneau cover over the bed, it will likely add about 200#. A good premium sway control  and weight distribution hitch will weigh over 100#. A Hensley or Propride will be closer to 200#. If you add any cargo management system to the bed like sliding trays, that will add weight. With a 34' trailer, I would go with the longest wheelbase tow vehicle I could find. A SRW 3500 will likely be about the same price as a 2500. At least it was for the Chevys. The 3500 will have 1000# or more payload capacity than the 2500. There may be different options for rear ends in the various models. Engine and transmission are likely the same. I like the 3500 better, because it does not squat as much with the trailer connected and I do not have to crank the weight distribution bars as tight. Other than that and the fact that the 3500 needs DEF where the older 2500 did not, there really isn't much difference. None in performance that I can tell.

Edited by trailertraveler

20 hours ago, kb0zke said:

The target truck will be 2013-15 diesel crew cab.

Ford makes a very comprehensive towing guide for each year.  You can find the guides for 2003 through 2018 here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Spend some time looking at the conventional tow/payload ratings for the various configurations.  Soon, you'll get an idea of which truck you should be looking for.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I would weigh the difference in how your state is going to require you to register a F350, or would there be annual inspections required if you have a F350 compared to a registered F250?

Also, keep in mind if you went with the F250 and found out later maybe it was riding a little low in the back while towing you could always add Firestone bags to level it out and beef it up a little.

No matter which one IMHO the Ford 6.7 is a really good motor.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

If your trailer weight is such that you have to have an F350 or a Dually, do not try to prop up a F250 to do the work of a heavier rated truck.  The cost of owning a bigger trailer is a bigger truck and all of the tagging requirements.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot