FMCA Roadside Assistance

SWharton

I'm not sure. This seems to be another area that is subject to interpretation. I have read about Coachnet winching out cars and in other threads refusing to winch out cars. FMCA/Saferide clearly looks at a skid into a snow bank or ditch as an accident. Coachnet is a yes unless it is a "recovery situation", whatever that is. I think it is the usual, if it can be passed off to another policy(ie auto) they will.

9 hours ago, SWharton said:

Coachnet is a yes unless it is a "recovery situation", whatever that is.

I'm pretty sure that this is defined as being "in excess of a specified distance from a road".  In other words, if you're down in a ravine they won't pull you out under this coverage.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The brochure from FMCA advertising their RA specifically states that winch out is included. I called Safe Ride and verified the info. 

As a side note I just today received an email from FMCA that their membership is going up from $50 to $75 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I asked for clarification from Coachnet. They referenced:

* The Emergency Roadside Assistance service is designed to assist members whose vehicle becomes disabled as a result of unavoidable circumstances, which are mechanical in nature. Service is available for emergency assistance on the roadside or in a campsite up to 100 feet off a maintained road or in a commercial campground equipped for camping vehicles only and does not include convenience or shuttle tows, towing from a servicing dealership or other repair facility. Only one service call per incident is covered, unless the vehicle needs to be towed to a safe location as determined by us. It does not cover recovery of a vehicle subjected to a natural disaster, a vehicle submerged in water, or a vehicle not on a maintained road. Coach-Net can assume no liability for any damage to the member’s vehicle (including personal items left in the vehicle) or property resulting from the rendering of services. Any claims must be filed against the independent service provider.

I also logged to my car insurance company and added Towing and Labor to my policy for a whopping $1 a month. I can handle that. I probably also have coverage via AAA but trying to reach them is a challenge.

13 hours ago, Twotoes said:

The brochure from FMCA advertising their RA specifically states that winch out is included. I called Safe Ride and verified the info. 

The same is true of Escapees policy.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

This thread has focused on the towing/winching benefits, but I believe there are other differences between the road service plans.

As one example, a couple of years ago we needed a mechanic to be dispatched to us in Sioux City IA.  Coachnet located a local mechanic, arranged for the appointment and paid for his basic "service call" fee as well as his mileage charges.  We paid his hourly rate and for parts.  I'm not sure that the competing road service providers have an equivalent service.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

I believe all the insurers provide this. I checked online with USAA and Nationwide, both have "mechanic" service. Just pay for parts and time.

You're saying that it's a benefit under the full-timers policies issued by those companies, not a road service benefit? If that's the case, who finds the mechanic and sets up the appointment?  

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

28 minutes ago, SWharton said:

USAA said to call RA if needed. I assume the same for Nationwide(I know).

I'm confused. Would you be getting RA through USAA or Nationwide?  Otherwise, which RA would you be calling to get mechanic's services?

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

On 7/29/2019 at 6:59 PM, Kirk W said:

Since we are not FMCA membeers, we just went with Escapees Road Service for reasons of price. 

I wonder if there are any differences between what FMCA offers and what Escapees offers from Saferide? The only reason I belong to FMCA is  medical assist is included in the annual membership dues, now ERS is offered at less than 1/2 the price of either Good Sam or Coach-Net.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

This is from the FMCA website for SafeRide services:

"

Plan Details

Jump Starts

Service is provided to start the customer’s weak or dead battery.

Mobile Tire Service

If a spare tire is not available, we will dispatch a mobile tire service company who will mount a like tire. Mobile tire service is not available in all areas. Towing to the nearest qualified tire center will be provided if mobile tire service is not available. You will be responsible for all parts and labor fees.

Vehicle Fluid Delivery

Service is provided to deliver standard vehicle fluids: gas, oil or coolant. Customer pays cost of fluids.

Lockout Assistance

Service is provided to gain entry into customer’s vehicle. Customer is responsible for the cost of key cutting parts and labor.

Winch-out Service

Benefits apply as long as the RV can be safely reached from an established, maintained road, thoroughfare, paved street, highway, public or private parking lot. Winch-out coverage also applies when member is attending FMCA events and rallies. Winch-out services do NOT apply if the RV is more than 50 feet from an established, maintained road or thoroughfare, or was intentionally driven off the road, or when your RV cannot be reached safely. Benefit does not apply to recovery work (e.g., RV is down a hillside or embankment). Winch-Out services have a dollar limit of $500.

Coverage for additional vehicles

Customers have coverage for an unlimited number of incidents. However, additional vehicles are only covered by basic roadside assistance. Services such as towing, tire changes, lockouts, jump starts, and fuel deliveries. All other services are for the RV only and your Roadside Rescue plan does not cover you in the event of an accident. "Classic" cars — show cars from the '70s or earlier — are not covered. If the pulling vehicle is a Class 6, 7, or 8 Truck then it is NOT covered under the RV’s Roadside Rescue policy and therefore would require a 2nd Roadside Rescue policy to be covered.

RV Technical Assistance Hotline

Get phone access to ASE-certified technicians to assist with first-level instructions and technical diagnosis with basic troubleshooting and common operational issues with your registered RV. Customers must provide the technician with the RV chassis type, year, make, model, a brief description of the issue, and the location of the RV. The member performing technical adjustments or modifications does so at his/her own risk. Use of this benefit is unlimited.

*Service does not cover major repairs that could void a warranty or RVs with prototype or customized parts.

Mobile Mechanic Dispatch Service

In the event of a mechanical breakdown, SafeRide RV Motor Club will assist in arranging the dispatch of a mobile mechanic to the customer’s location, if the customer is more than 50 miles from the nearest repair facility. The customer is responsible for all charges related to on-site repairs, including travel fees, parts and labor.

Close the Loop

An exclusive feature of re-contacting the customer within 15 minutes of the scheduled ETA to ensure service has been rendered.

Trip Interruption Benefits

In the event of an RV mechanical breakdown, SafeRide RV Motor Club will reimburse the member up to $300 per day for a maximum of five days ($1,500 total) for lodging and meals when the customer is more than 100 miles from home and the vehicle must be kept for repairs at the licensed repair facility. Member must submit receipts and verification of repairs to SafeRide RV Motor Club for benefit reimbursement. Limited to one incident per 12-month period during enrollment term.

RV Concierge Services

• Business locator
  • Hotel reservations
  • Car rental reservations
  • ATM locator
  • Prescription delivery
  • RV campground referral
  • RV storage facility locator
  • RV personal delivery service
  • Turn-by-turn driving directions
  • Traffic reports
  • Historical site locator
  • Local activities
  • Wireless device assistance
  • Tickets- theater, music, sports
  • Restaurant referral, reservations
  • Golf course tee times and referrals
  • Rental vehicle return
  • Hotel rebooking during an emergency
  • Arranging emergency return travel
  • Guaranteed hotel check-in"
Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

From the Escapees Roadside Service page....

Need help getting your rig out of a tough spot and to the shop? Simple winch out or extraction services required to tow your disabled rig are covered up to 100 feet off of a maintained road or in a commercial campground equipped for camping vehicles.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just an FYI. I had Nationwide before I switched to Geico. Called them once when my passenger side inside dully went into the ditch on a right hand turn. Needed to be winched 3 feet. I was still on the highway except for the passenger side inside dully that was in the ditch. They would not cover a winchout, said only a tow was covered. Had to call a wrecker and pay $300 to hook up a chain and pull me backwards 3 feet. I also called my extended warranty that has roadside assistance and was denied saying winchouts were not covered only a tow for a mechanical breakdown was covered. I bought FMCAs RA for this reason. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Mobile Mechanic Dispatch Service

In the event of a mechanical breakdown, SafeRide RV Motor Club will assist in arranging the dispatch of a mobile mechanic to the customer’s location, if the customer is more than 50 miles from the nearest repair facility. The customer is responsible for all charges related to on-site repairs, including travel fees, parts and labor.

As I posted previously, Coachnet paid for the mechanic's service call charge and hs mileage. Furthermore, there was no issues as to whether or not I was 50 miles from the "nearest repair facility."

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

48 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Just an FYI. I had Nationwide before I switched to Geico. Called them once when my passenger side inside dully went into the ditch on a right hand turn. Needed to be winched 3 feet. I was still on the highway except for the passenger side inside dully that was in the ditch. They would not cover a winchout, said only a tow was covered. Had to call a wrecker and pay $300 to hook up a chain and pull me backwards 3 feet. I also called my extended warranty that has roadside assistance and was denied saying winchouts were not covered only a tow for a mechanical breakdown was covered. I bought FMCAs RA for this reason. 

Was that your car or MH? Was the policy a MH policy or a car policy? Car is not covered for winching if a regular auto policy.

It was my Class A motorhome. My Jeep does not have an inside dully.  It was my fulltimers motorhome policy. I also had Nationwide on my Jeep and Harley at the time.  I have also been told, not sure who told me, that a roadside assistance call is considered by most insurers as a claim, I know AAA does this, and there is a risk that a premium increase will happen at renewal. Not all insurance companies do this but some will. That is another reason I got the FMCA RA plan. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

10 hours ago, SWharton said:

I don't see how RA could be considered a claim. If I need a door lock opened that would be a claim? RA covers a lot of the little stupid things.

Some insurance companies consider a roadside assistance call a claim on the policy, some don’t. Check with yours to be sure. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a large DP Coachnet eill send a Landall unit yo trailer you to the nearest qualified facility. Some of the other services di not offer those units. Towing a large unit requires the right equipment. Frames and suspensions can be damaged if proper equipment and procedures are not followed.