Gas v Diesel

Tim and Peggy

Good morning....

I know the answer; but that I would like to hear from people that own Class A gas fueled motorhomes. Our previous coach was a 2008 Holiday Rambler pusher. It was great, powerful but expensive to repair, and, of course being on a freightliner chasis with air suspension...WOW, what a ride. This time I opted for a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road, 36-foot gas vehicle with a Ford V10 engine. I did so for economic reasons. I test drove one and the ride was fine, but I know that when I get out on the road, I will realize the difference in the power of the rig, but also fuel economy (I guess).

I was averaging 9-10 MPG with the Holiday Rambler and am told that I will be lucky to get 7 MPG. Obviosuly, I am not going back, but am hoping that some of you that own gas rigs, will reassure me that I didn't make a BIG mistake. At age 67 and resonably intelligent, I made an informed decision, but now that I am retired and not in a hurry, I decided to save myself $35-50K.

All of you who may be inclined to respond, be nice...as I am very sensitive! Just kidding.

The diesel pusher corwd regularly attacks me for saying this but I am a big believer in living within your budget and for that reason we went fulltime with a gas class A. We lived in ours for almost 12 years and we owned it for 14 years and economically it was a very wise decision. There is no question that your gas coach will not ride like the air ride of many diesels, but we spend far more time living in ours while not moving than we did driving it and when we finished we still had most of our nestegg. It will be quite noticible that the ride isn't like your previous coach but if you think positive you can still go anywhere with this coach that your last one was able to. When you miss the pusher, just look at the bank balance and ask yourself what is more important. If I had it to do over, I would do the same as health took us off of the road and because we bought gas we still had the money to buy our present home. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Tim & Peggy, first let me say that I think you are starting the full time life in a very nice coach.  Brand wise and model wise you probably made a good pick IMHO.  

We did the exact opposite.  After a couple years of full timing in our first two RVs (fivers) we went back to part time and bought a 37' gas coach.  I could service it myself and we could easily fit in most campgrounds or parks we wanted to stay.

When we "sold out" again and hit the road we wanted to have both a car with us plus our motorcycle, so a DP was really the only way for us to go.  You are correct, they are more expensive plus I'm not doing the service myself.

Here is the only issue I had with my gas coach.  Getting in and out of gas stations with a 37' to 38' gas coach and toad is not always easy or convenient.  We generally tried to find and use Pilot and Flying J stations that had RV islands, but they can be far and few between in different parts of the country.  I ended up carefully planning most of my gas stops by looking ahead the night before at possibilities, then checking them by using Google Earth or the satellite view on my I-phone to see if they looked hard to get into.  

Not trying to discourage you, I think you will do fine with your coach.  It is just not the same as finding a fuel stop with big rig diesel lanes and all kinds of room like with your DP.

(two years ago when we went back to FTing we spent the first 4 months in Florida making small trips to "shake" everything out before really hitting the road, good way to start)

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We went from a 38' 5th/MDT to a 36' MH Gasser. We are so much happier. Servicing is less and anyone can service it. We get about 7 mpg vs our 9-10 with the MDT but so what, the cost savings in servicing, purchase price makes up for a lot.

Yes there is less power but are why are you in a rush, yes the air ride was nice but as Kirk says, look at the bank account and compare your drive time to your stay time.

Say you drive 10000 miles a year, assume gas and diesel are the same price(to make this simple), you will spend around $400 more per year for the gas. And save mucho on servicing etc.

11 hours ago, SWharton said:

We went from a 38' 5th/MDT to a 36' MH Gasser. We are so much happier. Servicing is less and anyone can service it. We get about 7 mpg vs our 9-10 with the MDT but so what, the cost savings in servicing, purchase price makes up for a lot.

Yes there is less power but are why are you in a rush, yes the air ride was nice but as Kirk says, look at the bank account and compare your drive time to your stay time.

Say you drive 10000 miles a year, assume gas and diesel are the same price(to make this simple), you will spend around $400 more per year for the gas. And save mucho on servicing etc.

Although RVing in a diesel pusher is the most expensive way to travel, for our health issues it is the best method of RVing. That said, the 10,00 miles you spoke of would result in 1 oil change+filters, chassis lube, genset oil N filters per year; if you have those service performed today, the cost is over $360 for any diesel engine larger than the old Cummins ISB engine. That's close your $400/yr more for gas, kinda a wash.

Plus, when the new Ford V8 engine enters the RV chassis market IMO gas mileage will rise somewhat, with a bit more power than the V10.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961