Did everyone see this??

Big5er

It's amazing how frequently stuff like this happens. It's amazing what an HDT tire can do. 

Video here

5420040_072519-wabc-damagedjeep-img.jpg

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ouch!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Same thing happened in Philly some years back, right by the sports complex on I95.  Tire/wheel came off a trailer and bounced into oncoming traffic.  Went through the front of a minivan and killed the poor guy while his wife sat next to him.  You can't be too alert out there.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Phil,

Saw that. One guy was driving along side the tire and videoing. I know he didn’t want to damage his vehicle but if he had just bumped that tire it would have gone out into the ditch rather than jump the barrier and gone head on. He could have just driven alongside acting as a barrier. Hitting the car head on meant an extra 70 mph was added to the momentum. Easy to arm chair quarterback though. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I've seen the damage to vehicles behind or across from a HDT when a trailer recap comes off the casing (alligator) and fly's up and hits a 4-wheeler.  A whole darn tire and wheel........ wow.  I hit an alligator on the roadway with my dually pulling a Prowler TT.  My truck threw the casing back at the TT and tore off a front stabilizer jack and destroyed the aluminum J panel along the bottom.  The alligator was just sitting there in the roadway.  The momentum of just my rear truck wheels running over it and throwing it back at the camper resulted in $1,500 in damage.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

1985 going north on I-81. Flatbed had a wheel and tire on the trailer floor. Snowing like crazy and we could only run single file. Seen that tire coming at me. It jumped up and hit right above the windshield of the Cabover I was driving.

Almost crapped myself. But seeing a tire coming at you. Sure gives one a rush for a while.

event.png

Preset hubs (standard on most trucks for 10 some years now) need their first take-apart service done at 500K.  Not sure that is getting done out in the world, but word needs to get out!

https://www.conmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/HD_MD_Hub_Service_Manual_July14.pdf

The oil list too:

https://conmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/10009945J1.pdf

On 7/28/2019 at 8:14 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Phil,

Saw that. One guy was driving along side the tire and videoing. I know he didn’t want to damage his vehicle but if he had just bumped that tire it would have gone out into the ditch rather than jump the barrier and gone head on. He could have just driven alongside acting as a barrier. Hitting the car head on meant an extra 70 mph was added to the momentum. Easy to arm chair quarterback though. 

I had the same thought.  Two or three years ago, I saw a tandem axle car trailer behind a pickup with a wheel that didn't look right--some smoke and obviously not positioned right.  Traffic was fairly heavy, and I was stuck behind a few cars probably about 100 yards back.  It was clear he was going to lose that tire, and it was driving me nuts that I couldn't get to where I could try to flag him down (approaching the scale house on the west side of Knoxville, so there would have been a safe place to stop).  I started slowing, and trying to catch the attention of the cars around me, pointing to the trailer as I was being passed.  There was still a clump of cars preventing me from getting up along side of the truck, but at least there was a decent gap between the cars that caused the log jam and a much larger number now a little ways behind.

It came loose from the right lane, rolling kind of like what was in the video (but smaller tire), and somehow managed to roll and bounce across the three westbound lanes, across the center divider, and my passenger watched it make it across all three eastbound lanes before hitting--and destroying--a tree on the far shoulder, without hitting any other cars.  The truck made it safely to the shoulder, and the few flames at the axle were quickly put out.  It could have turned out a LOT worse than it actually did.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Not a tire story but similar. When I was a kid growing up in upstate NY I remember a car hit a deer. The deer went thru the front windshield on the passenger side, was cut in half by the glass and the rear end of the deer went out the back window and thru the front windshield of the car following behind killing the female driver in the second car. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer