Washing

RandyA

Hi Randy,

I would be careful with using bleach. You need to know the pH of bleach.  Cleaning your truck I would think you want a product with a neutral pH.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

20 hours ago, rdickinson said:

He wasn't roped in with a harness??  They should have provided Critical stress de briefing for you with follow up available.

Canadian Worksafe  the equivalent of US OSHA, handed out an $800,000 fine to a firm that a young person who fell 50 ft or so and died.

https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/news/2019-05/company-director-fined-after-fall-death

This was 2 m, about 6'6"  half the ht of the top of the Condo cab.

Ya know, we in Canadia are shamefully lightyears behind the US in First Aid. 

No he  wasn't roped in with a harness.  He went around caution tape and a caution barrier walked out on a 12inch ice covered ledge fence on one side 35 ft drop on the other.  I was on the pump truck hose and had back turned to him in a snorkel lift with my son  the pump truck operator told me that guy just fell.quickly took a head count of the guys on our crew .and the pump truck operator said no look-in the bottom of the canal .I was about 40 feet up it took what seemed fore ever to get my snorkel lift down to help him. As far as critical stress de briefing . they offered counseling we figured we could deal with it on our own and turned it down. looking back we  should of taken it. My son had to deal with night mares and panic attacks for about 6 months after word. After all said and done it was determined it was no falt of the contractor and that it was his own bad judjment

I do FA and Site Safety on Constructions Sites.  In the Orientation we caution newbies not to walk under the  pump boom and to make eye contact with the operator.

This happened today.  Find anything wrong wit this pic.

yrkYMFFl.jpg

This will go to the owner of his company and he won't be back.  I don't want to be the guy who deals with the results of a fall...I would but would rather not.

This could happen to anyone in the HDT crowd, 13' to the top of the trailer add another 6 ft to allow for average ht to the head.  That's 18-19ft for the 20 lb watermelon to hit concrete.

Victoria lost a FA person 2 or 3 years ago after a worker fell from a floor 4 levels up.  The worker was alive and conscious after the fall but died several days later.  The FA guy crashed.

I wish these guys would get it.

Carl, that is a fancy machine.  I'm sure I could find a lot of uses for that around the ranch.  Trimming limbs, painting, changing dusk to dawn lights.  But - who drives it and what is there to keep me from falling out of the basket on my head?  Always a problem.

While I started the thread about washing, it has taken a needed turn toward safety.  So, if I go further off topic with a story, perhaps I won't be in too much trouble.

Several decades ago I was very active in a local volunteer Lifesaving and First-Aid Crew.  We did all the ambulance work for car wrecks, accidents, etc.  It was a Sunday morning and a frantic call came in that a man had fallen from the roof over the porch of his house and wasn't moving - there was blood everywhere.  I was on call with two other members.  We jumped in the ambulance and raced out route 460 with red lights flashing and siren screaming and a fire truck bringing up the rear.  The dispatcher made it sound really bad.  When we arrived on scene, sure enough, the place where the victim lay looked like someone had been slaughtering hogs.  As I approached the victim I realized something wasn't quite right.  Our victim had regained consciousness and was trying to stand up, yelling some rather slurry vindictives.  The red stuff wasn't blood at all - it was red barn roof paint.  The victim (now an old fool) had tied one on the night before and, still drunk the next morning, climbed up on the porch roof with a full gallon bucket of paint.  Undoubtedly, if he had been sober, he would have been badly hurt by the fall.  We wrapped him mummy like in a couple of sheets to keep paint from getting all over the ambulance and hauled him to the local hospital where the ER Personnel market him DOA.  That's Drunk On Arrival.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

In that lift you use a tie off harness.

Not needed in a scissor lift.

People have been catapulted out of the ones Carl posted.

Driving over rough terrain amplifies boom movement.

Glen, yes there is , its just not in the pic.

I will post a pic of the device the patio railing guys use when they return.

It's a  brace across the suite entrance door with a long rope.

Just so everyone knows and doesn’t get too technical, the picture I posted was just joking with Randy. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

17 hours ago, rdickinson said:

I do FA and Site Safety on Constructions Sites.  In the Orientation we caution newbies not to walk under the  pump boom and to make eye contact with the operator.

This happened today.  Find anything wrong wit this pic.

yrkYMFFl.jpg

This will go to the owner of his company and he won't be back.  I don't want to be the guy who deals with the results of a fall...I would but would rather not.

This could happen to anyone in the HDT crowd, 13' to the top of the trailer add another 6 ft to allow for average ht to the head.  That's 18-19ft for the 20 lb watermelon to hit concrete.

Victoria lost a FA person 2 or 3 years ago after a worker fell from a floor 4 levels up.  The worker was alive and conscious after the fall but died several days later.  The FA guy crashed.

I wish these guys would get it.

This picture really pisses me off this is premeditated this guy should of been fired on the spot and fined he new he was supposed to be tied off but tried to pull a fast one and sneak it buy the boss I have seen this on multiple jobs the old drag your lanyard on the roof and make it look like he is tied off from the ground. I noticed something else where is his high viz and where is his hard hat. This guy was not thinking of what might happen to his family and friends if he was to fall. The pain and suffering he would put his family threw. its just not worth the risk . Great Catch Rodger you may have saved this guys life. You keep on doing what you do .and if you come on my site and find I am doing something un safe I would shake your hand and thank you for keeping use safe

The railing crew showed up today, a couple of young guys.  They were using a Genie telescoping boom lift.  The one was clipped in with the harness, the other was on the deck which was about 10' so he was borderline.  My fall was 9 ft which broke both wrists.  Anyway the boom kid saw me coming and was very quick to but on his bone dome.

I wanted a pic of their setup for roping off using a doorway for Glen but it will have to wait 'till they come back installing glass.

With this setup the guy in the other picture could have used his fall arrest harness and clipped it on to the rope and the device in the doorway.  It is pretty slick, I think you'll like it. I'll also try to get info on where to purchase.  Just FYI.

The other guy is gone.

What State or Province are you in?

Well, you've all convinced me. Next time I'm working anywhere above the ground, I'm using a proper fall-arrest harness. I put in an order for a new one today, but I'll have to keep using my old one in the meantime:

29tmw4yh91f31.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Well, you've all convinced me. Next time I'm working anywhere above the ground, I'm using a proper fall-arrest harness. I put in an order for a new one today, but I'll have to keep using my old one in the meantime:

29tmw4yh91f31.jpg

I am sure

I am sure this is fake . But if its real and this guy fell it means one less idiot out of the gene pool.

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2019 at 5:46 AM, Chuck said:

First time using Blue Beacon yesterday in Wytheville Virginia. $80.00 for all, with Rainex. Very professional and well done. All the good it did me. Thunderstorms in the afternoon. 

It's been over a year since this post on a Blue Beacon. What do you think of it today? 

My brother told me a long time ago to avoid the "Acid Washes" that some of the truck washes use. They look really good coming out of the wash, but then in a few days the gloss is gone and everything sticks to the surfaces. I didn't believe him  completely but avoided the big rig wash shops for quite a while. Fast forward to on winter leaving Iowa a bit later than usual, running through salted roads and arriving in Florida without a rain to wash anything off. I stopped at one of the wash places pretty close to my destination and had the full wash. Asked for them to "NOT" use the Acid, but apparently that didn't work. Noticed pretty quickly in the Florida sun how the prior shiny surfaces started looking dull. That was on my old trailer, swore I would never do that again. 

Oops, near the "Factory" I was bringing the rig in for service and it was Filthy. There was a local wash at the same exit and I pulled in to check it out. Asked ahead if they used the "Acid Wash" and was told NO, and apparently they didn't that time and I thought all was good. Used the wash a few times and then the employees changed, should have realized it, but didn't . I now have the dull finish on my newest home and despite may attempts to "Wax it" back to gloss it's not working. One day I will go with the "Wrap", but not for awhile. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

To wash the HDT and the 5th I've used the following

- scissor lift (safest and easiest as the controls are in the bucket)

- skid steer with a man bucket (safe and a lot of room but you need a 2nd operator)

- walked on a semi trailer next to the 5th (slick but no railing)

Other then the roof you can do the rest from the ground.  My vote is to just do what you can from the ground and run it through blue beacon once a year for the roof.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

• 2 months later...

It requires a ladder, and wash brush. You can make good use of the Camco RV Flow-Through Wash Brush as it has a very long handle. This particular feature provides me with more than enough reach to clean even a 30-foot RV. Because I am not very tall, having a wash brush that allows me to reach the top edge of my RV without using a ladder is advantageous.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:33 PM, Sculptor said:

I would drive up to the second story deck on my house, when we had one. Maybe a friend has one you can use for 15 minutes.

Sculptor gave me an idea:  My trailer is the same height as the Volvo.  All you need is a flat spot where you can pull the truck up next to the trailer.  Go onto the trailer roof and use the long scrub brush to clean the top of the Volvo.  Clean and scrub the roof of the trailer at the same time.  One warning - some soaps or detergents used for cleaning an EPDM roof on a trailer make the surface slicker than deer guts on a door knob.  Tennis shoes may act like ice skates on such a surface.  I clean my roof barefooted or with only a pair of cotton socks.  Along the edge I'm usually on all fours.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!