Washing

RandyA

I believe we may have gone through this question way back.  But we are still looking for a better and safer way.  We have a 670 with the tall roof and skylight.  To wash the upper part of the roof I now open the hood and then cliff climb up to the valve cover.  From there I can use a long handled brush to reach all but the last 2 or so feet at the back.  It's tough and not very safe.

We have also tried 12 foot ladders and a brush with a 20 foot fiberglass pole that is heavy and likes to bend.

I have a 3,000 psi pressure washer with a long telescoping wand that i can't hold.  It doesn't take the black dirt off the paint (white).

No matter how I try to wash it I feel like I am creating a accident ready to happen.  I'm too darn old to fall off a ladder.  If I did fall and break my neck St. Peter probably wouldn't even talk to me - he would just send me straight to Hell.

So, how to the rest of you guys safely wash the roof?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I gotta agree with John.  We wash our truck ourselves most of the time, but it's done with feet on the ground,  Th top of the roof only gets washed when we're on the road and stop at a commercial truck wash.  Some of them are pretty reasonable, but I have pulled back out of a few, after hearing the price.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

I gotta agree with John.  We wash our truck ourselves most of the time, but it's done with feet on the ground,  Th top of the roof only gets washed when we're on the road and stop at a commercial truck wash.  Some of them are pretty reasonable, but I have pulled back out of a few, after hearing the price.

This 

trying to "do it yourself" is a recipe for total dependance on a care giver - from a wheelchair.

live longer and pay the young to do it, they need the money anyway 

consider yourself the 'educator' passing on your knowledge and expectations of how a job is done, while you supervise from the shade.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

31 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

consider yourself the 'educator' passing on your knowledge and expectations of how a job is done, while you supervise from the shade.

So Ralf, you knew my dad and grandpa?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Randy,

We mainly use Blue Beacon also but I also have used a “Little Giant” A frame ladder and extending brush that hose attached to. I stood on my drom to get the back. Agree not safe. 

I hope GeorgiaHybrid sees this and responds. We were discussing this very issue over the phone two nights ago concerning my roof repair. He has an idea on building some scaffolding to accomplish the task. Hope he’ll share his idea as he definitely has the knowledge, skill, and available resources. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If all you are doing is washing the rig, try an extending wand for your pressure washer. I use one similar to this:

https://www.toolbarn.com/be-pressure-85-206-024l.html/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CPCS+-+Shopping&utm_term=shopping&utm_content=382gtSTL_pcrid_103905915254_pkw__pmt__pdv_c_product_be-pressure-85.206.024L_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Nr8x6fV4wIVl_hkCh2TwwkxEAQYAyABEgJtNfD_BwE

It does a great job but you need to be VERY careful when you turn off the spray. You will be leaning into the wand as is has a bit of recoil and if not careful, when you turn off the water flow, it will dip down and hit the roof of the truck. Just make sure to go to the side of the truck before releasing the trigger.

I use that plus a long extendable fiberglass pole with a brush (bought at the Freightliner dealer) to wash the truck. Doesn't take too long using that method.

We just had a 16'x78' slab poured to store the truck and trailer so I am thinking about building a movable scaffolding to use when I need to wax the top of the truck. Currently I am using a wash and wax product but it doesn't last very long at all. We also have a baker style scaffold from Northern tools that is roughly 12 feet high that I use on the side of the truck but you still have to reach across about 5' or so to get to the center of the roof, not ideal for waxing hence the reason for some custom built scaffolding that will go over the top of the truck.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

If all you are doing is washing the rig, try an extending wand for your pressure washer. I use one similar to this:

https://www.toolbarn.com/be-pressure-85-206-024l.html/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CPCS+-+Shopping&utm_term=shopping&utm_content=382gtSTL_pcrid_103905915254_pkw__pmt__pdv_c_product_be-pressure-85.206.024L_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Nr8x6fV4wIVl_hkCh2TwwkxEAQYAyABEgJtNfD_BwE

It does a great job but you need to be VERY careful when you turn off the spray. You will be leaning into the wand as is has a bit of recoil and if not careful, when you turn off the water flow, it will dip down and hit the roof of the truck. Just make sure to go to the side of the truck before releasing the trigger.

I use that plus a long extendable fiberglass pole with a brush (bought at the Freightliner dealer) to wash the truck. Doesn't take too long using that method.

We just had a 16'x78' slab poured to store the truck and trailer so I am thinking about building a movable scaffolding to use when I need to wax the top of the truck. Currently I am using a wash and wax product but it doesn't last very long at all. We also have a baker style scaffold from Northern tools that is roughly 12 feet high that I use on the side of the truck but you still have to reach across about 5' or so to get to the center of the roof, not ideal for waxing hence the reason for some custom built scaffolding that will go over the top of the truck.

I call BS...Dave wouldn't have a cheap ol' freightliner pole. Probably more like a Snap-On Cane pole complete with red & white bobber, mason's twine for line, and a couple of 3/8" washers for weights.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I have a similar issue with working on my trailer (Kentucky) anyway, I have a scaffold that I have been using.    It is kinda clunky, I am in the process of developing a scaffold using pallet racking  that will have two deck levels.      The top level can be as high as 10' with safety railing.    

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Time for an old bucket truck

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Falls, hmm, something I have personal experience with.  Randy has already had one from his truck deck as I recall and that was about  4' high.  The top of the truck is a lot higher, 12-13'.  Think of this, when you are looking at your trailer roof  it is 5-7'  above your head.  When standing on the roof your head, a 20 lb watermelon  is 18 ft ish above the ground. But when you are up there it appears higher or you may feel uncomfortable.     Falls by people over 65 is the biggest killer in either Canada or North America as a whole.

Head/neck  injuries are a major source or cause of trauma on bicycle riders, that and pelvic injures and broken femurs, (big leg bone).

Last year or early this year there was posted a pic on this forum of some dude climbing up over the hood and or visor to wash his roof.  He figured it was a big joke...really, are you kidding me, how stupid can someone be.

So everyone can blow me off and joke about it, make flippant comments...you think it's funny, ask Nigel, I've seen the zipper on the back of his neck.  Ask how frightened/terrified his wife must have been when it happened..

When the ladder skated out from under me and I went down I was knocked out for an unknown amount of time.  I was alone, when I came to, I managed to pick myself up, undo the back door, get to the bathroom and wash the blood from my head, go to the garage, turn the door handle open the car door, put  the key in the ignition and turn it then back the suv out of the garage while palming the wheel with both hands 'cus they wouldn't work any other way and drive to a clinic a couple of miles away.  All with 2 smashed wrists, a bilateral fracture.

So I know of what I speak.

Steve has, in my mind the best option.  The Home Depot or Costco type pallet racking makes the most sense to me. The pallet racking ends at the sides of the truck.  12' wide is more than enough to straddle cab and mirrors.  You would need a vertical  frame extender. 1 level, the floor to stand on  to clear the cab and a second set of rails at 2' above that  and  another safety rail at 4'.  Add a toe rail at floor level to prevent things from getting kicked onto the truck roof.  This is what we do on new construction balconies and roofs.

Special scaffold planks, would serve as a deck.

https://www.uline.ca/BL_1486/Pallet-Racks?keywords=Pallet+Racks

https://www.uline.ca/BL_1612/Pallet-Rack-Additional-Beams?keywords=pallet+racking

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=D96EF8ACD0E1A70B5975AC3D29463E133B6EE6B2&thid=OIP.VOLk6v83q1LMQIVBaKd2aQHaKQ&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F564x%2F53%2F34%2F9d%2F53349d611fc85945c8268ab41ae2bee2.jpg&exph=781&expw=564&q=scaffolding+stairs&selectedindex=26&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,6&ccid=VOLk6v83&simid=607986670261765575

You would need stairs to get up to the deck.  2 flights plus an intermediate deck to get up to a 12' or 13' deck level.

Bakers scaffold would work but it would have a bigger footprint, 30" x 74" each side of the truck then you have to make a bridge to go over the truck cab.

https://www.uline.ca/BL_116/Steel-Rolling-Scaffold?pricode=YA169&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=scaffolding&utm_campaign=Facilities Maintenance&AdKeyword=scaffolding&AdMatchtype=p&gclid=CO6Z8Orx1uMCFfWOxQIddccCow&gclsrc=d

While working for an Eastern store set up firm, I put together and dismantled acres of pallet racks.  It would take some time but it is entirely do able and would be safe.

A long handle broom won't reach and you can't apply enough pressure and a telescoping  wand is too heavy, the arm and moment are not manageable. 

A bucket truck would work and be safe but would need maintenance.

Little Giant makes the best ladders, spendy but the best.

The cheapest method would be to pay a firm to come and do it once or twice a year.

I deal with this on a daily basis, Site Safety and as a Construction Med and the refusal of people to wear PPE, fall arrest,  eye protection and the improper use of ladders and scaffolding.  A limb threatening shattered elbow from the improper use of a 6' drywall trigger got the kid fired. Removal of a safety rail on a patio deck over 10' high by a Temp worker  got a builder a mega thousand dollar fine.

This has been Randy's 3rd go round under the knife that I know of, lets hope it's the last.

Like most other topics this will be up for a while until something replaces it and more people will fall and injure or kill themselves.

Nothing changes.

18 hours ago, adept99 said:

Sorry for the "adept99 said" thing.  I can't make it go away.....

What Roger said!!!!!  Two years ago, I was in my shop, alone, climbing to the mezanine.  Short ladder, but on smooth finished concrete.  My feet were perhaps 6' off the ground, when the ladder slid out and I did a slow motion slide/fall to the floor.  I was all tangled up in the ladder rungs, and thought for sure I'd broken my ankle/foot.  That's when I found out my medical insurance didn't have an emergency room rider.....

Now, darling bride and I have made a pact, to not climb ladders without another adult on the scene.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Why am I up at 430 am PT making Eggs Benedict and on this again.

A few years ago, while I was on a residential construction site, I heard a noise outside.  It didn't seem normal so out I went to investigate.  A roofer had slipped on the ladder about 20 ft up,  got his leg caught in the rungs and fell inverted snapping his lower tib fib which stuck out the skin . He was screaming like hell.  At the time, I was solo but climbed up to help how best I could pushing with my back in a hugely awkward position I was only able to get him up to horizontal so the rest of his leg slipped thru to the thigh area and the broken lower drooped down. 

The next door neighbour called 911,  seemed like an eternity before the  FD showed up with a pumper but had to call a ladder truck to hoist him up from above with a sling.  In the meantime they put ladders on both sides of me with a Firefighter  on each to take some of the weight off my back and someone else between the three ladders and the house to deal with the leg.

To this day he walks with a limp.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=9EC0838F9378A3CE0C91B64773F3DF842D50496C&thid=OIP.CVA9VXBcCrqORdg-9yqyTwHaEK&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FinV-XepvtQo%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&exph=720&expw=1280&q=aircraft+wash&selectedindex=8&qpvt=aircraft+wash&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,6

We have one of these plane washes at the Airforce Base in Comox.

If R can wait till next late April, my annual disaster trek will start in Galveston and work East then up to  N Carolina.  After finishing there, I could swing by his place and assemble/install one of these before heading to OK then home.  For the water system a couple of these would do the trick.  They may peel loose paint tho.

http://www.waterax.com/product-category/fire-pumps/

The 3 will pump thru a mile of 1.5"  hose and still have 20 odd lbs pressure at the end, I'm told.

What does it take to get the message thru, we break not bend at our ages.  Rick and I were lucky.  Within a month of my mishap a gent fell off backwards from a ladder lower than mine and was killed.

Some people will lose a husband, father or grandfather.

Falls and eye injuries are the two easiest to prevent.

I forgot exactly where RA lives but google up mobile car or RV washing services in his area.

Edited by rdickinson
typo

Just happen to have a truck wash 2 miles from the house. Even after falling off the iron while erecting a building, sometimes I still have to talk myself into skipping the "do it yourself" version of washing the roof of the truck and trailer. Building fall = two shattered wrists/hands and concussion.  Truck wash = $100  No Contest

Edited by adept99

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

First to Pappy Yokum - yeah, apparently there is another RandyA dumber than I am.

Georgia Hybrid;  I do have an extender for my pressure washer along with a belt and holster.  I am no longer strong enough to handle it beyond 1 extension (pre-back surgery).  This puts me on top of the valve cover.

Richard D. :  Yes, the previous 4' fall from the deck while using a added step stool gave me a full wrist fracture.  It also apparently  resulted in a head injury that makes me forget I am no longer 25 and can't do what I used to.

The reason I posted the question was in part related to what I want to do once the back is healed.  I and my walker went by the front of the now sitting truck noting the many spider webs and sparrow nests that had been built since it was parked in early May.  I noted how nasty the upper roof was covered with black residue I believe comes from nearby Sweet Gum trees and asked myself how I was going to clean it.  I had a young man that is locally experienced cleaning houses, roofs and decks come out and do our home in June.  When he was finished it look brand new. No more moss, algae and unknown green stuff growing all over the north side of the house.  I asked him what was the chemical in the five gallon jugs he sucked dry and he told me it was plain old Clorox bleach from local stores.   This got me to wondering if bleach would be safe to use on the old less-than-shiny paint on the roof of the truck.  A garden sprayer would easily coat every  square inch.  But, I don't know if that is a good idea or not.  Anyway, I now have some of the best and most experienced advice on the planet: Let someone else do it for you!    We don't have a Blue Beacon nearby but there are other truck washes.  Guess I'll try visiting one of those.  BTW - what should I expect the cost to be for a VNL670 with no trailer?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

3 hours ago, adept99 said:

Just happen to have a truck wash 2 miles from the house. Even after falling off the iron while erecting a building, sometimes I still have to talk myself into skipping the "do it yourself" version of washing the roof of the truck and trailer. Building fall = two shattered wrists/hands and concussion.  Truck wash = $100  No Contest 

How did they treat your wrists??? Volnar plates like mine?  Are they still in?  I had them cut mine out 'cus the thumb flexor tendon on my right hand rubbed on the plate and broke.  They tried splicing it later but failed miserably so no I've got a pin in the thumb.  How much range of motion up and down do you have in the wrists?  Did physio make any difference in your case.  Not in my case.  ROM stayed at 22 degrees + - up and down on both.

Isn't it fun not bein able to turn door knobs, pull on a stuck door and feel like your hand is separating from the wrist, opening anything that requires a twisting motion, pulling on sox or underwear. How about tying shoe or boot laces??  I switched to bungees for the runners and got Velcro for decent shoes.

How about going to the bathroom....there's a challenge and a half.

They did a full scan on me and said I didn't show signs of concussion which I find difficult to believe also no brain damage, also hard to believe.

How long ago did you fall?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to see how yours compared to mine.

Did you get any pics of the injury, I've got some gems.

dVM8TWTl.jpg

iIDdN4Ql.jpg  Hospital bandage job, lots of bleedout.  A fail there.

Ru8e8Ael.jpg  My bandage job with Coban or Vet wrap.

jw1Yeq2l.jpg  This was after the attempt at splicing tendons from the wring finger to the thumb.  Not enough overlap so it let go.  What a waste of time an money that was.  Plus they left parts of 4 stitches in when they were removed.

For Randy, it's ROGER, not Richard.  Roger, Roger, say after me, Roger...

Found it for you Randy.  This is what you need.  Wonder if I could borrow it?Q21i5gZl.jpg

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

So to back up what Rodger stated when you have to get off the ground be safe about it . I to work in  the construction trade .We had a inspector take a header off the face of the dam I was working on. Fell 35 ft .Buy the time I got to him there was nothing I could do . this happened the day before xmas and they pulled the plug on him the day after. He went threw two safety barriers  just to take pictures. Bad judgment call on his behalf. It takes a  split second to change your life for ever. My xmas holiday will never be same again . I think about what happened every year. When you get off the ground please be safe about it . 

1 hour ago, runaway parents said:

So to back up what Rodger stated when you have to get off the ground be safe about it . I to work in  the construction trade .We had a inspector take a header off the face of the dam I was working on. Fell 35 ft .Buy the time I got to him there was nothing I could do . this happened the day before xmas and they pulled the plug on him the day after. He went threw two safety barriers  just to take pictures. Bad judgment call on his behalf. It takes a  split second to change your life for ever. My xmas holiday will never be same again . I think about what happened every year. When you get off the ground please be safe about it . 

He wasn't roped in with a harness??  They should have provided Critical stress de briefing for you with follow up available.

Canadian Worksafe  the equivalent of US OSHA, handed out an $800,000 fine to a firm that a young person who fell 50 ft or so and died.

https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/news/2019-05/company-director-fined-after-fall-death

This was 2 m, about 6'6"  half the ht of the top of the Condo cab.

Ya know, we in Canadia are shamefully lightyears behind the US in First Aid. 

Edited by rdickinson
update info