YES, I tried searching, HDT who besides National General offers insurance?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Well I got a SHOCK today, National General sent me a notice of an "offer" to renew my insurance, this would be my third year with them, this year they want darn near a thousand dollars more then last year.  Yes I had a claim, my trailer slid off an icy road and had to be repaired, the truck NEVER left the road the claim was against the trailer NOT the truck.

I remember a while back someone mentioned an insurance agency out of Oregon that wrote HDT policies does anyone remember who that agent is, can anyone supply contact information for them?  Thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

mr.cob, Miller Insurance is in Portland and is a broker. We don't have an HDT but our fulltimer policy is thru them. It might be the one you were thinking of.

Howdy Bob,

Thanks, I think that is the agency I was thinking of.  Do you happen to have a contact number?

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

8 minutes ago, bockofma said:

Good evening, Mr. Cob.

Try:

Farm and City Insurance

fcisinsurance.com

1-800-331-1520

Regards,

Michael

Howdy Michael,

Thanks I will give them a call.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

mr.cob, Miller Insurance is in Portland and is a broker. We don't have an HDT but our fulltimer policy is thru them. It might be the one you were thinking of.

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your NGIC post, since I got a Similar (22% Increase) Renewal Notice a few days ago and spoke with my local Livingston Agent yesterday, that told me "ALL Insurance Policies are Significantly upon renewal this year and my only recourse is to INCREASE my Deductibles on my 3 vehicles", (1-41' Class-A, 1-Class-B RoadTrek, and 1-Ford Explorer Toad).  Although, we have been very Pleased with NGIC coverage and service for almost 10 years, this Increase is becoming unreasonable!!     So, I'm Totally with you in Searching for Similar/Same Coverage at a more REASONABLE cost and will be tracking your post responses closely, as I pursue ALL other options.

Many Thanks, Don

1 minute ago, DesertMiner said:

Hey Mr Cob did you have your “drag chains” installed when you slipped off that icy road?

Howdy DM,

No.  There is a story behind that whole fiasco, I had never been on the road to this campground before, it was an up hill twisty road with no indications of what was ahead until it was to late.  I was following a friend who was driving a 4 wheel drive pickup with studded snow tires, he made it, I didn't.  When he called out ICE on the CB, I was already committed to the hill and rounding a curve.  I was only going about 15mph but when the trailer started to slide there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it.  Did I mention it was 8 degrees above zero and around 11:30PM.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 minutes ago, dendon said:

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your NGIC post, since I got a Similar (22% Increase) Renewal Notice a few days ago and spoke with my local Livingston Agent yesterday, that told me "ALL Insurance Policies are Significantly upon renewal this year and my only recourse is to INCREASE my Deductibles on my 3 vehicles", (1-41' Class-A, 1-Class-B RoadTrek, and 1-Ford Explorer Toad).  Although, we have been very Pleased with NGIC coverage and service for almost 10 years, this Increase is becoming unreasonable!!     So, I'm Totally with you in Searching for Similar/Same Coverage at a more REASONABLE cost and will be tracking your post responses closely, as I pursue ALL other options.

Many Thanks, Don

Howdy Don,

I am leaving Odark30 tomorrow morning headed to California to drop my trailer off and let Chad, install 1,410 watts of solar on the trailer so I'll have to put off contacting different insurance companies until I get back home but I will post up what I find.  I expect yearly increases but going from 1,515 dollars to 2,477 is a bit over the top.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I have Miller and I also recommend them.

However last December I bought a car and added it to the Truck and RV policy. In April, I called to reduce the coverage on the car as I would be storing the car for 6 months. I was told that any coverage change would reduce all my coverage limits from the $500,000 limits to $150,000 or $250,000. So I kept everything the same and plan to look for and umbrella policy.

Clay 2015 Freightliner Sports Chassis and 20,000 # DRV

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

While many here extol the virtues of Miller, I was unable to secure a resonable policy through them.  They wouldn't cover the truck while bob-tailing, for any reason, or if pulling other trailers.  My current policy, Progressive through Lazy Days RV, allows unlimited bob-tailing, and pulling of any non-commercial trailer.  YMMV.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Howdy All,

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.  Right now I am in Northern California visiting with Chad, I am leaving my trailer here so he can install a solar system on it.  So I will have to wait till I get back home in a few days before I can do some serious research into this insurance thing.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

49 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.  Right now I am in Northern California visiting with Chad, I am leaving my trailer here so he can install a solar system on it.  So I will have to wait till I get back home in a few days before I can do some serious research into this insurance thing.

Dave

When you get home please let me know which fine Belgium beer you will be enjoying.

P.S. best of everything on your new knees . .

On 7/26/2019 at 1:05 PM, rickeieio said:

While many here extol the virtues of Miller, I was unable to secure a resonable policy through them.  They wouldn't cover the truck while bob-tailing, for any reason, or if pulling other trailers.  My current policy, Progressive through Lazy Days RV, allows unlimited bob-tailing, and pulling of any non-commercial trailer.  YMMV.

Lazy Days does insurance? Do you have to be a customer??? Do you have  a contact?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I don't recall how I found them, but it was likely from this forum when we bought the truck in 2010.  They've been pretty good to deal with, no complaints in 9 years.  They did require that I insure both truck and 5er, but they were cheaper on the trailer than my previous provider.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Howdy All,

I have gotten my truck-trailer insurance through Miller in Oregon.  Better coverage then I had for LESS money then I was paying to national general BEFORE they decided to rape me.  The new policies are through Progressive, if your in the market to get or renew the insurance for your HDT I would suggest giving these folks a call.

Miller insurance, 800-622-6347

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

13 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I have gotten my truck-trailer insurance through Miller in Oregon.  Better coverage then I had for LESS money then I was paying to national general BEFORE they decided to rape me.  The new policies are through Progressive, if your in the market to get or renew the insurance for your HDT I would suggest giving these folks a call.

Miller insurance, 800-622-6347

Dave

Dave,

Thank you
After what I am going through with National General I will be switching companies, even though I am using Miller Insurance will not renew with National General again, More of the story to come when this claim is completed.

Roger

Edited by Hewhoknowslittle

GCTaaehl.jpg