Solr

I’m looking for info on how much solar to put on a 27ft Class C to maintain a comfortable lifestyle while boondocking.

Also, I will be traveling to Yuma in the fall.  Could anyone recommend a good reliable solar installation person? 

Thanks in advance for any information you can send my way. 

Maggie

Maggie Blair

This is a difficult question to answer in detail without more information.  I have a day of seminars on this topic broken down into three main presentations.  The first presentation is all about batteries.  The second presentation is all about inverter’s.  The third presentation is all about solar.  Any good boondocking rig will have a combination of these three things, plus access to a generator (typically).

How much battery, how big of an inverter (and how it is wired) and how much solar are dependent on many variables.  The batteries are the storage tank for the energy to be used.  The inverter takes that stored DC power and inverts it to AC power to allow you to run household appliances like a coffee maker or microwave or hairdryer or whatever.  The solar harvests power from the sun and replenishes the batteries to allow the power cycle to repeat.  A generator is good to have in case of inclement weather for a long period where solar can’t harvest enough energy.

Without getting too deep into the weeds of this, we need to have a better idea of what you plan or would like to power, both 12 volt DC appliances (like lights and typical RV stuff like a water heater, forced air heater and RV refrigerator) and AC appliances (like the ones mentioned previously or others).  With some general information about this, I can make some general recommendations about your needs.

As to an installer in the area, someone else will have to chime in because I do all my own work and don’t have any experience with installers in the area.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

maggie blair, Starlight Solar (Larry) on Shari Ave in Yuma. I talked to him last winter and I thought he was changing his business. I bought all my solar stuff from him about 7 years ago. I did my own installation. Also out at Senators Wash (BLM land) there is a solar business out there in the winter. Can't think of the name. They usually start to advertise about the 1st of November. Another thing to keep in mind, there is no sales tax on solar products in AZ. There is a solar vendor in Phoenix that is on the Escapees vendor list.

http://www.starlightsolar.com/starlight_solar/index.html

First step in the quest for solar powered independence is to do an “energy audit”. This can tell you what power requirements  you presently have and what it might take to have these needs covered. It can also give you some numbers to work with when you start to design your “boondocking” system. A “shunt style” bidirectional battery monitor is a very useful piece of equipment to help you “see”  your actual battery usage. Baby steps are important so you can be educated when you talk to an installer to make sure they understand your wants and needs when designing your system so you are both happy in the end. 

Absolutely agree with the baby steps and educating self along the way. I also agree this is a difficult question to consider without more of the items you're using and how often or in what series. My suggestion is consider your consumption and develop for twice that.  a great reserve is important but then so too is ensuring you have the right bells and whistles in place when wiring, battery banks, etc.

I guess a good place to start, would be to consider what you are running, what you're left with at the end of the day and how much you need to replace during the next :). voltmeter and understanding the power drained from your bank while using. self moderation some would say... do the math, and again plan for at least double. not hard to do.  ;)

6 hours ago, maggie blair said:

I’m looking for info on how much solar to put on a 27ft Class C to maintain a comfortable lifestyle while boondocking.

Also, I will be traveling to Yuma in the fall.  Could anyone recommend a good reliable solar installation person? 

Thanks in advance for any information you can send my way. 

Maggie

Most Class C's don't have a lot of roof space around what's already up there. You might be limited in how much solar you can install without being shaded by the A/C or TV antenna or... Then figure out if that will be enough for you.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

...Most Class C's don't have a lot of roof space around what's already up there...

There also may not be a lot of space for extra batteries. Lead Acid batteries are heavy. The size of a compartment may not be a good indicator or how much weight it can hold without being damaged. Be sure the planned battery space can handle the weight. You may need to switch to lithium batteries to take full advantage of a robust solar system.

These folks make some very good points. Keep in mind that a small RV has nearly the same appliances as does a larger one, but you have far less roof to place solar panels on. With a small RV the first step in successful use of solar charging is usually finding ways to minimize power requirements. Another major issue is the cost justification of the entire process. Lead-acid batteries not only take space but they are very heavy so lithium may be needed for both space and weight reasons and those can run your cost up very quickly. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

12 hours ago, maggie blair said:

Maggie

Peruse websites for the dimensions of solar panels which come in a variety of sizes and the take this information to the roof of your RV to see what can fit where. Feel free to use different sizes to fill your roof but try to leave some walking space for maintenance tasks.

12 hours ago, maggie blair said:

Maggie

Your schedule and your route are factors here, as well as how far you'll venture away from either. The snowbirds gather within a short drive of each other in AZ and some bring their tools and abilities. If you haven't already, register at cheaprvliving forums and present your request there as well. There are people that install for other folks and do so with a fair price and sense of community. Jamie's Van Build event and the annual RTR come to mind where friends & connections are made with folks that have a desire to help someone. Many, if not most, have installed their own and have helped others with theirs with success.

Spot

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

These folks make some very good points. Keep in mind that a small RV has nearly the same appliances as does a larger one, but you have far less roof to place solar panels on. With a small RV the first step in successful use of solar charging is usually finding ways to minimize power requirements. Another major issue is the cost justification of the entire process. Lead-acid batteries not only take space but they are very heavy so lithium may be needed for both space and weight reasons and those can run your cost up very quickly. 

Good points. Thank you and I’m adding to my list. 

Maggie Blair

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 7:45 PM, maggie blair said:

I will be traveling to Yuma in the fall.  Could anyone recommend a good reliable solar installation person? Thanks in advance for any information you can send my way. Maggie

On 7/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, $ Spot said:

If you haven't already, register at cheaprvliving forums and present your request there as well. There are people that install for other folks and do so with a fair price and sense of community. Jamie's Van Build event and the annual RTR come to mind where friends & connections are made with folks that have a desire to help someone. Many, if not most, have installed their own and have helped others with theirs with success.

You may already know of this, but just in case, this could be helpful... https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=37504

Spot

5 hours ago, $ Spot said:

You may already know of this, but just in case, this could be helpful... https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=37504

That looks cool! Too bad I am no longer in that market.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 month later...

I have a 27" Four Winds C that I installed one 175w Newpowa solar panel over the passenger seat. Fed the wires down the refrig exhaust opening to the Moningstar PS-30 charge controller under the seat where heater is located. Was a semi-tight fit. I was surprised at how easy the install was. Since my electrical requirments are low (led lights, computer), I am currently using an inverter I bought from Walmart for $50.  I still use my 2 lead acid batteries, but because they are small, (grp 27) they don't hold a good charge. And soince you can't put lead-acid inside the coach I will soon replace them with a 100w lithium battery which will fit into the lead-acid opening under the coach. I could probably put the lithium battery(s) in the basement, but need to do more looking to see where inside I could also install them.

Even though you are going to have the system installed, it might be useful to do a LOT of research so you will know what you need, and whether or not the installer is giving you the optimum system. When boondocking, it is always usefult to know how to make repairs when needed, or to discover the source fo a problem.  Most installers are reputable, but being aware of what you are getting is always of benefit, as solar is not cheap.  Some resources I found useful were:

1. https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
  2. http://www.jackdanmayer.com/links_and_files.htm
  3. http://www.manmrk.net/tutorials/RV/12voltSideofLifePart1.htm
  4. http://string-calculator.morningstarcorp.com/
  5. https://www.backwoodssolar.com/learning-center?SID=80qrsn5nej168ruce71vv893t1
  6. Do a google search for battery and solar installs, and you will start finding all types of material to help you make your final decision as to what you need.

Good luck in your endevour, as you will find boondocking fun.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to tell how many solar panels and how many batteries a person needs because our lives and needs are so much different so I will just tell you what works for me

I live full-time in a Arctic Fox 27 – 5L fifth wheel which is about 30 foot long, and I live by myself. I boondock most of the time, I don't own a generator, I live completely off of solar.

I have six 140 watt solar panels on my roof, and four 100 amp Battle Born lithium iron batteries. I have a 60 amp solar controller and a 1200 amp inverter. All of this was installed by me, so I don't have anyone I can recommend.

I obviously don't run my air conditioner, and I don't run my toaster oven. Unless I'm plugged in which is very seldom.

I've lived quite comfortably for the last four years as a full timer and have never run out of electricity, the key to doing that is to over build your system so you have enough power to last for two or three days of cloudy weather.

Hope this helps,   Tom

Fulltiming in an Arctic Fox 27-5L

My Website and Blog is theboondork.com