Mt Rushmore area

solo318

As Kirk says, hail in the Black Hills is not a daily occurrence but it does happen often enough to be of concern. I volunteered in Custer State Park for 3 summers in a row. I did experience hail damage to the plastic covers of my 3 A/Cs and 2 fantastic fans and had to replace all 5 of them. I spent $500 replacing them myself. I also had hail damage on my Ford F-350 hood and roof. When I traded in the Ford I got dinged again on the trade value due to the hail damage. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We were at Custer about 3 years ago and we had hail 5 out of 7 days there.  nothing large enough to damage the RV.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

53 minutes ago, solo318 said:

We are looking at beaver lake campground. Anyone stayed there? They seem friendly enough over the phone, they have large sites and 44 dollar/night weekly rates. and pretty darned good reviews across multiple sights.

I stayed there, it's been a few years.  I don't remember anything negative about the place.  We didn't spend much time there, it was just a place to stay at night for us.  There were lot's of family activities, lot's of kids having fun.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, solo318 said:

We are looking at beaver lake campground. Anyone stayed there?

This one? We've not been there but from the web-site it looks pretty good.  I think that's a pretty decent rate for the black hills.  They offer lots of discounts so should be easy to get 10% off rates.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

You going there soon?  That's an hour south of sturgis rally starting on 2 Aug, going to be lots and lots of bikes there.  I would love to go there again next year, maybe this would be a good base-camp to get away from the loud pipes but close enough to cruise up and enjoy!

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Just now, NDBirdman said:

You going there soon?  That's an hour south of sturgis rally starting on 2 Aug, going to be lots and lots of bikes there.  I would love to go there again next year, maybe this would be a good base-camp to get away from the loud pipes but close enough to cruise up and enjoy!

No, We are heading there next June

20 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Plan to head south to Rock Springs, WY for Escapade June 21 - 26.

Where are the camping facilities going to be there? We were just there and while it is not a bad place in the middle of nowhere, I did not see anyplace large enough to host a major rally.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

Where are the camping facilities going to be there?

2gypsies is correct. Check it out at Escapade 2020 as well as the above link. 

The Sweetwater Events Complex is home to over 1,200 RV spaces, nearly all with 50 amp service and full hook-ups.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you like Filet Mignon and are close to Hill City check out the Alpine Inn. They serve dinner from 5p-930.

Here is the dinner menu:

BACON WRAPPED FILET MIGNON

Served with a baked potato, Texas toast and a quarter wedge of lettuce with our homemade ranch dressing.

6oz $11.95 9oz $13.95

KAES SPAETZLE PRIMAVERA

German dumplings and Swiss cheese served with fresh vegetables, and Texas toast.

$11.95

That's it.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Yes the Alpine Inn has a great steak but limited choices. However the desert menu is like a book, about 5 or 6 pages. Remember to bring cash. Last time I went there they did not accept credit or debit cards. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

15 hours ago, Big5er said:

If you like Filet Mignon and are close to Hill City check out the Alpine Inn. They serve dinner from 5p-930.

Here is the dinner menu:

BACON WRAPPED FILET MIGNON

Served with a baked potato, Texas toast and a quarter wedge of lettuce with our homemade ranch dressing.

6oz $11.95 9oz $13.95

KAES SPAETZLE PRIMAVERA

German dumplings and Swiss cheese served with fresh vegetables, and Texas toast.

$11.95

That's it.

You had me at spaetzle. I love the stuff

• 9 months later...

So after all the reopenings, we are heading out June 11th.  Sadly our travel companions had to cancel so it's just us. Does anyone have any decent "scenic drive" maps they could share?. All of the maps we find online are pretty much junk.  Our toad is a 69 beach buggy and we are looking forward to the scenery.

resized buggy.jpg

I don't have specific maps but you should take time to drive all of the paved roads in Custer State Park. Make sure that you travel highway 16a from the park toward Keystone in a northbound direction to get a full view of the monument through the tunnels. And do not fail to travel Take a trip from Hill City into the park on 87 to pass through the "needle's eye" and spend a bit of time in that area. Take a trip through Spearfish Canyon as well and plan some time in the towns of Custer and Hill City. If you use this link to the map you can print it out. 

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I don't have specific maps but you should take time to drive all of the paved roads in Custer State Park. Make sure that you travel highway 16a from the park toward Keystone in a northbound direction to get a full view of the monument through the tunnels. And do not fail to travel Take a trip from Hill City into the park on 87 to pass through the "needle's eye" and spend a bit of time in that area. Take a trip through Spearfish Canyon as well and plan some time in the towns of Custer and Hill City. If you use this link to the map you can print it out. 

Kirk hits it pretty well.   Also, there is the 'Old Hill city Road", from Hill city to Keystone.   And adjacent to Spearfish Canyon Rd, is the "Roughlock Falls Rd (dirt) that extends up into the mountains... eventually going by a place called "Cement Ridge" lookout Tower.   Enjoy!

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

29 minutes ago, Jim & Alice said:

Kirk hits it pretty well.   Also, there is the 'Old Hill city Road", from Hill city to Keystone.   And adjacent to Spearfish Canyon Rd, is the "Roughlock Falls Rd (dirt) that extends up into the mountains... eventually going by a place called "Cement Ridge" lookout Tower.   Enjoy!

Is there any fuel stations along the way? My buggy has a 2300 mile ish range, and my DW HATES roadside hiking.

7 hours ago, solo318 said:

Is there any fuel stations along the way?

With the range that you have, you won't spend much time in the stations, but there are a selection of fuel suppliers in every town in the area. If I remember right, there is even one vendor inside of Custer SP. but they are bound to be the highest priced fuel around.

Kirk I visited the escapade 2020 link, it says cancelled, but I didn't seen a link to the CG. What did I miss? We could not attend anyway, we don't know when Mayo Clinic will call to schedule Lin's appt., I was simply curious.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961