Kwikee steps stuck retracted - cant get to the motor?

Hi there all,

Newbie here and already APPRECIATIVE of this forum.

I just bought a 1996 Itasca Sundance Class C.  The electric steps were working (sporadically and with a mind of their own - they would go in and out regardless of the door was open and even while standing on them) then they just stopped working all together and are retracted.  I do not hear the motor... have tested it with the switch both in on and off position, engine on and off.

I called the guy who  bought it from said he would tap on the magnet and sometimes that would get them to work again.

I got underneath to check the motor but it appears that the motor and assembly are mounted to the top stair which is covered by the bottom stair and not accessible... Any advice or ideas how I can get these suckers out to be able tp work on the electric motor?

Had somewhat the same problem. First check if it has a separate fuse in your panel.  I solved mine by spraying the living crap out of every pivot point I could see several times/days with PBR rust buster. Once it frees up (with a little help from your hand) work it back & forth. Then buy white lithium spray can grease & lube it. That little motor is at mechanical DISadvantage at either end of it's travel. Once you get it to half way out, start working back & forth more each time. Good luck!

Edited by ARGO

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

27 minutes ago, ARGO said:

Had somewhat the same problem. First check if it has a separate fuse in your panel.  I solved mine by spraying the living crap out of every pivot point I could see several times/days with PBR rust buster. Once it frees up (with a little help from your hand) work it back & forth. Then buy white lithium spray can grease & lube it. That little motor is at mechanical DISadvantage at either end of it's travel. Once you get it to half way out, start working back & forth more each time. Good luck!

Thank you!  Ill try that

The step motor turns off when the current draw rises due to something stopping the step movement (like if it hits something) and that does sometimes cause the step to fail to go out or possibly in. If you look up from below you should be able to see a link that you can disconnect to lowr the step when the motor isn't operating, but when you use that you need to prop the step up to prevent it from dropping down before you are ready. Below is a link to the current service manual for Kwikee steps.    Kwikee Service Manual

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

This Vimeo shows how to test steps for proper operation. Kirk linked the service manual, between the two you have all the information needed to diagnose and repair your step issue.

Power Gear/Kwikee steps are always 12V hot, the controller stops/starts the steps by disconnecting/connecting ground when increased amp-draw is detected. That's why it is so easy to get a smashed finger if 12V positive is not disconnected when working on the steps. Check the screen door magnetic switch for clean tight wire connections first, I do the simplest easiest things first=KISS.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You may be able to remove the cotter pin from the pin that attachés the power arm to the steps.  With a drift pin you may be able to move that pin out so as to leave the steps out.

That motor maybe available at a local auto parts store.

Safe Travels,.   Vern