LG Lithium Ion battery pk

47 minutes ago, jcussen said:

While there was some battery fires on early Tesla's, over 300000 model 3's have been produced with no reports of a battery caused fire.

That's raises a question. How many car fires were started by standard car batteries?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

No idea about the battery itself, but several manufacturers have had electrical problems, even with engine off. Here is one the most famous ones.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/10/ford-recalls-4-5-million-vehicles-over-fire-hazard/index.htm

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Ok, got more info on battery on Craig's list. It is a new battery supplied by Nissan. He is buying them form them. So this is a great deal.

Yes it is.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I called BattleBorn about charging my batteries, they said bulk to 14.4 volts, no absorb time, then to float at 13.6. While on solar anyway, controller will stay in float mode and handle any loads on system until load increases enough for battery  voltage to fall to 13.2 or so, when bulk starts again. This may not apply to all lithiums though.

Thing that concerns me about float means some charge going in. Say at night when little is going out of batteries, could this overcharge them? Overcharging hurts Lithium. I would set to bulk and then stop. Set upper stop voltage and lower start voltage. Bulk until reached. stanby until lower voltage is reached. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Actually when charger goes into float at 13.6 float voltage, my lithium batteries are still above that voltage. So no chance of overcharging. Not sure of other batteries, but BB has a built in BMS which protects them from overcharge anyway.  My regular start battery 3 stage charger will bulk, absorb, then to float voltage, which just maintains that voltage and puts no current into battery unless it falls below that set voltage.  

So BMS prevents overcharging. Agree. What if BMS fails? Not saying it likely or ever will. I just like to have all bases covered. I intend to set mine at no float. Shut down. Think I will go with the REC bms. And also set to bulk and standby.

Charger can fail too, and just keep on charging. My chargers both solar and Victron charger will charge to 14.4 volts, then go to float and stay at 13.6 until voltage drops below that. Of course you cannot overcharge a 14.4 volt battery with 13.6 volts, so I feel pretty safe. But do not know about your battery

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

So BMS prevents overcharging. Agree. What if BMS fails? Not saying it likely or ever will. I just like to have all bases covered. I intend to set mine at no float. Shut down. Think I will go with the REC bms. And also set to bulk and standby.

Your bms is the last line of protection, your charging sources are the first line of protection and be set to stop charging or lower voltage which ever way you go.

If your battery bms fails it should shut your system down.

Edited by Itinerant1

2016 F350 DRW Supercab XLT 4x4 6.7 3:73LS 
2010 Carriage Cameo 34CK3   1,280 watt solar

• 2 months later...

update. I sent a down payment to supplier for the LG lithium battery pak. These are new LG batteries for the Nissian leaf. It will be 3 paks at 7k 48v. They will aso have their own bms installed. Supplied him with the inverter/charger I will be using (Magnum 4400 Hybrid) so he could set up the bms properly. Cost is $3450.00 for battery pak. and $450.00 for 3 bms system. Will pickup saturaday two weeks since that is next time off.

Edited by GlennWest

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

update. I sent a down payment to supplier for the LG lithium battery pak. These are new LG batteries for the Nissian leaf. It will be 3 paks at 7k 48v. They will aso have their own bms installed. Supplied him with the inverter/charger I will be using (Magnum 4400 Hybrid) so he could set up the bms properly. Cost is $3450.00 for battery pak. and $450.00 for 3 bms system. Will pickup saturaday two weeks since that is next time off.

Good on ya! Keep us informed.

Got demisions on them today. Pics also. 21Lx9Hx14W. I will lay on side so terminals facing me. Two on floor and one above other. I will need to remake my master cylinder for brakes bracket. Actually used a left over mount off back of Freightliner. Can shorten it 2" and gain enough rooom. This will be 21k of lithium. I don't see that even getting worked hard. My orginal thoughts was to put them in a metal enclosure. These are new batteries. Has a decidacated bms. May rethink this.May start on compartment tommorow. Don't really like doing such on Sunday but i have so little time off now.