LG Lithium Ion battery pk

Gentleman on Craigs list in Pearland has for some time now sold solar panels and controlers. Good prices. He is now reselling Chevy Volt packs and Lg paks that are new batteries. A 3kwh pak LG (new) is selling for $475.00. I know nothing on quality of LG lithium ion batteries. They are in line with chevy volt and they are new. Thoughts on this. https://houston.craigslist.org/ele/d/pearland-48v-3kwh-lithium-ion-battery/6937919504.html

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Well that is a very low price. I would want to know how much they have been used (they are new?) and their exact chemistry. Did they actually do a capacity test or is that the original rating. Lifepo4 is the safest of the chemistries but more expensive. Once you know the actual chemistry you can determine the true voltage operating range and whether it is compatible with your equipment.

Dave and Lana Hasper

He also has a BMS for these also. Having a hard time reshearching them. Sent him an email and asked how they compared and if it is lifepo4 technology.  Likely not here back till tommorrow some time. Dave, voltage is very comparable to the Volt pak. 48volt. 36v min/50.4 max. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Been buying panels off him for years. A straight shooter. His house/shop has,  I believe, a 20000 watt grid tie system. Believe he installs them for a living.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Looks like LG makes the volt battery and those look exactly like volt cells so I bet that is what you are dealing with. From what I have read the volt battery charging range does not match up well for a 12 volt pack but does for a 24 or 48 volt. c He does a Chevy Volt battery install. If jcussen has been dealing with him i definetly would be interested in learning more. 

Dave and Lana Hasper

These are the specs I see on a volt cell. See how they match up. 

Cell type Laminate type
Cathode material LiMn2O4 with LiNiO2
Anode material Graphite
Rated capacity (0.3C) 17 Ah
Average voltage 3.8 VDC
Maximum Voltage 4.2VDC
Minimum Voltage 3.0VDC

Dave and Lana Hasper

The specs you gave are the same. It is a 12 pak and voltage and all adds up. He responded and said it is a Chevy Volt battery. Pic is not though. And new it is not if Volt.I am awaiting on next reply because I asked about that.

I will probably buy the Volt batteries from him. He got them out of a 2014 car with 35k miles. Working a lot of hours now and them., being out of case, ready for use, means a lot just now. 

20 hours ago, Sehc said:

Was there a post on this forum where the folks burned up their whole world using recycled Volt batteries?

RandyA on here had a golfcart with a volt battery that caught fire and done considerable damage. Totaled it.  But that is rare as hens teeth. Randy concluded it may have been damaged internally from the car wreck the battery came out of. Because of that one incident, I will be building a metal enclosure to house the batteries. I am a welder so simple job for me. I know people who put batteries under their bed! Odds are they will be good. Murphy's law says not. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Edited by GlennWest

In the last 2 months of my survey work, I have seen 2 houses burned to the ground because of lithium batteries not being properly handled.  1 house was still on fire....

First house had an aftermarket golf cart battery charging in a basement access area.  Battery blew.  The homeowner was cautious in talking with me about it.  But from our talk, it was an electric car type of battery, that had been removed from wreck 4 weeks prior, and was being re-purposed.  Had the module been damaged in the wreck?  Or was the charger out of parameter with a faulty BMS

Second house was a child's battery powered car that had a lithium battery installed as a replacement.  The family had used the original charger to charger the ride.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

All of the fires get categorized as lithium caused which is the problem. It is not apples to apples.  Clearly LiFePo4 is the safest but there are many RVers successfully using Volt, leaf and Tesla batteries.  If you are DIY you do need to know your battery chemistry and charge parameters. As you say both of the above are probably charger caused problems. Do not slap a lead  acid charger on and expect everything to be okay. It is best to oversize the pack and not push them all the way to the top when charging.   Unlike lead acid they do not need to be topped off.

Dave and Lana Hasper