Record setting heat

Much of the Mid-West and East have been hit with near-record setting heat with high humidity the last few days.  We've kept the shades drawn and in front added an extra layer using a sheet to trap some of the hot air.  Our a/c's have run non-stop from around 9:00 until 10:00 at night, keeping us reasonably comfortable, although the front of the coach is a bit warm.  An oscillating fan helps.

We are in Lancaster, PA so we went to the big shopping mall for walks.  Hopefully, the temps will soon return to merely hot summer days rather than these heat indexes of 110.

Is anyone else on this forum in this unusually hot weather?

Screenshot_1.png

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Yesterday coming out of the Rocky's into Utah my dash showed 102.  Today we are getting a break, sunny and only 97 or 98 depending on what site you look at.  We will be out all day in the Moab area so it will be a day of sunblock, water, and not much food.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

In Cental KS:  added Reflectix to the windows and covered vents and also door entrance from inside.  The first day of the heat, our AC went out, but luckily within 90 minutes the local RV repairman came out after he closed the shop and got it running.  I did learn that the air conditioner cover works as a "baffle" and replaced ours which wasn't in the best shape and that improved the cooling a little.   He tested the parks electrical and it was basically in brown out stage, and he suggested we keep a fan blowing on the electrical panel (place where breakers are).  Inside temps with AC running in the afternoon reached 81 which we survived.  We are now starting to cool off with 80s and down to 59 at night.  We have good insulation and easily heat in the winter months, but summer................ The weather has been bizarre with storms not even showing on the radar hitting us out of nowhere.  We experienced 70 mph gusts a few weeks ago.   Husband wanted to come back to KS because he didn't like the south because of hurricanes, but at least you know when they are coming!   Exciting time to be alive!

Cathy

12 minutes ago, SnowGypsy said:

In Cental KS:

Where in Kansas are you? We were in Wichita for several days before moving to a family farm near Council Grove for a week. It has been hot here with 99 twice and 100 once but today is lower with an expected high of 93.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Northern Ohio is unbearable add to that Lake Erie is  FULL and over flowing due to the heavy rains.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

In the MPLS/St Paul metro area we had a heat index of 101° Thursday. That's the day this place decided to hold their cookout inside. They didn't even use the outdoor grill to cook the burgers and brats.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

this year... so far has been a bit cooler the the norm. not many 100F days yet.

now last year. that was a different story. needed the ac 24-7.

the earth. moon, and sun have a  way of doing things is far beond what man can understand.

want to cool down a bit, come to northern california.  just bring lots of water ( ours is taken away and pumped south to la).

and tons of cash as everything cost more than it should.

Edited by packnrat

understanding. and “ways of doing” are two differnt things.

i am only 60, and have seen many a weather change in a way the forecasters failed at. 

best we  humans can do is a best guess as per what has happened in the past 100 or so years. and/of how we think the weather might react. then through in the computer modes (programed by a human).

We just spent a week at a county fair camping in an open field. 97-100 all week with humidity at least 85%. Ac’s Ran all day without shutting off till at least 10pm. No shade. Was a fun week but glad it’s over. Btw it is only 20 minutes from our house and pool. We are in mid illinois just north west of Springfield 

When we had a 5th wheel we added Reflectix to most of the windows during a hot summer in Houston.  It really helped, although it made the interior of the 5ver feel like a cave.

Now we are in the motorhome and the front window seems to be the source of most of the heat in the coach.  I thought about getting some more Reflectix to put on the inside between the curtain and the window.  However, I read a few warnings here and there that the Reflectix would create so much reflected heat that it might crack a windshield.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of that happening either to them or someone they actually know? 

I'm not sure if this is an actual concern or just another one of those Internet deals that gets repeated over and over again with no first hand experience.

Thanks.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Colorado Springs is 60 now, and the high today will be 72°. The humidity will be 38%. We bought a house with central air conditioning just in case. It's been hotter here too but without the humidity.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

11 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Does anyone have any first hand experience of that happening either to them or someone they actually know? 

I never had the windshield problems but we used an outside windshield cover that was reflective (white) for many years and it makes a huge difference inside on hot, sunny days. Doing that also keeps the reflected heat all outside of the RV and you can still see out.

It reached 89 in Issaquah yesterday on the east side of Seattle!  Had to run the air conditioner for about 3 hours this afternoon - first time since we came across the desert in April!   Will only be 82 today and then 70s for the rest of the week.  Ahhhh

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

heat broke to day in  Northern Ohio but not the rain.69 degrees this morning

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I am just outside of Bosie ID. The forcast is for 101 degrees. All 3 A/Cs are running.  I have a white shade in my front window that I have kept down for several days to block the sun. It is inside and connected to a motor to lift and lower it. It got so hot above the dash that my big front windshield did crack. Of course it had to crack on the drivers side and not on the passengers side. I just replaced that front windshield a little more than a year ago. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Will only be 82 today and then 70s for the rest of the week.

Here in eastern KS it is only 82° also and that is the expected high. We have a north wind now, where we had a south wind on the hottest days. It is expected to be in the 80's for a few more days and then get back to 90's again. That north wind is much more popular in July that it is in January!  😁

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

I am just outside of Bosie ID. The forcast is for 101 degrees. All 3 A/Cs are running.  I have a white shade in my front window that I have kept down for several days to block the sun. It is inside and connected to a motor to lift and lower it. It got so hot above the dash that my big front windshield did crack. Of course it had to crack on the drivers side and not on the passengers side. I just replaced that front windshield a little more than a year ago. 

An outside shade keeps the glass cool.  It really makes a difference.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You are doing this all wrong !  Come join us in Newfoundland....today's hi 73, yesterday's 62.  Haven't put away the heater or blankets yet.  Wait, heater, blankets...maybe we went to far north!

Debbie and Mark Ford

SKP #32722

On 7/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, Kirk W said:

Where in Kansas are you? We were in Wichita for several days before moving to a family farm near Council Grove for a week. It has been hot here with 99 twice and 100 once but today is lower with an expected high of 93.

Emporia, KS.  Oddly, I noticed that moving north during that time, it was actually a couple of degrees hotter, like up by Junction City.  Ah, Council Grove,  love to camp at the Corps of Engineer park there on the lake, especially with our discount!

Don't mention January as we were here then too, but you are correct as we did not appreciate the north wind as much in January as we did today.

The weather is just so bizarre.  It is wearing me out!

Edited by SnowGypsy

Cathy