OT: Hangin’ Out in the Plains

SuiteSuccess

DW and I leaving mid August for North Texas (mandatory MIL visit). then up to South Dakota and Yellowstone/ Grand Tetons until mid September.  We want to hang around Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska or Eastern Colorado until we go to the National Rally in October.  So any suggestions on campgrounds, places of interest for that intervening month?  BTW have been to Dodge City. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

There are a number of Corps of Engineers projects with campgrounds in Kansas. Some of the campgrounds are managed by the Kansas State Parks and even have some full hookup sites. If you are a Wizard of Oz fan, in Liberal there is Dorothy's House. Also the Mid-America Air Museum. Kinsley is Mid-America USA. Ellinwood has the Wolf Hotel and Underground City. In Hutchinson is the Cosmosphere and Salt Mine. In Wamego there is the Oz Museum and the Beecher Bible and Rifle Church. Near Fort Larned is near Larned and Great Bend. Also in the Great Bend area are the Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area and Quivira National Wildlife Refuge.

Thanks. Liberal Air Museum for sure. My dad (Army Air Corp) was stationed there in WWII.  Been to Cosmosphere and Salt Mines   Will check out the other suggestions. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Kenopolis lake is nice, some say nicest in Kansas.  https://ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Locations/Kanopolis

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

If you are going to the black hills stop off at Toadstool park in north western Nebraska.

A MUST SEE is the train yard in North Platte. You are allowed to boondock there. Its really awesome. You could spend a half a day there easy. Its the largest rail yard in the world.

https://goldenspiketower.com/

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

15 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

If you are going to the black hills stop off at Toadstool park in north western Nebraska.

A MUST SEE is the train yard in North Platte. You are allowed to boondock there. Its really awesome. You could spend a half a day there easy. Its the largest rail yard in the world.

https://goldenspiketower.com/

We visited The Golden Spike and it was very interesting we stayed at Holiday RV Park near the highway, there is also a city park that had w/e sites available and also while we were there the town band played on Sat. night in the park, there was also a nice ice cream stand there as well.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I forgot about the archway in Kearney.  It is an interactive muesuem that is built over interstate 80. Its all about the pioneers that headed west on the Oregon and Mormon trail. Well worth the visit.

https://archway.org/

Then there is Pioneer Village in Minden. I have never been there but its on my short list of places I need to see.

http://pioneervillage.org/

If you make it to the east side of Nebraska you can stop by the farm. I only have a 30 amp plug in. Or there is a real nice campground near here on the Elkhorn river.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

In western Nebraska, check out Scott's Bluff National Monument. For a stay there look at Robidoux RV Park. It is a nice city park with FHU. 

In the Nebraska panhandle check out Fort Robinson State Park. Well preserved Army post with buildings from the 1870's to WWII. There is camping there but I am not sure how big rig friendly it is.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

If you go to North Platt stop by Buffalo Bill Cody’s House. It’s a museum now and there is a State Park down the road. Also in Grand  Island and go for a tour of the Hornady Amunition factory. You need to call them in advance and set up a tour. Nebraska has many great State Parks along I-80. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Thanks to everyone. Ought to be able to fill a few weeks. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

We'll be in Driggs/Victor Idaho area at a beautiful state campground 1-15 Sep.   It's on the West/Idaho side of the Grand Tetons and beautiful!  Let us know if you roll through Driggs/Victor...we always have plenty to eat/drink.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

9 hours ago, Brad NSW said:

We'll be in Driggs/Victor Idaho area at a beautiful state campground 1-15 Sep.   It's on the West/Idaho side of the Grand Tetons and beautiful!  Let us know if you roll through Driggs/Victor...we always have plenty to eat/drink.

Thanks Brad. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

One thing to keep in mind about COE campgrounds. Firearms are not allowed unless you have a permission letter by the commander of each region. I have mine from the Mobile and the Savannah districts to be able to carry in several state parks in Georgia that are on COE property. If you don't have that letter (from the region you are in) which you have to keep with your license, make sure you conceal it well if you carry.

They will never search the camper or truck but some eagle eyed busy body might spot one if you carry it a little sloppy and report you.

If you don't carry all the time or any at all, have fun and enjoy the parks 😁

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime