Crater Lake to Glacier

Martin

I am traveling from Crater Lake to Glacier and I would like to break this into a 2 day drive and stop for a couple nights somewhere around half way.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Also I am not sure whether to stay close to the interstates or use the state highways to travel from Crater to Glacier.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am towing a 35 ft 5th wheel.

Take Oregon 97 north to OR26 east to I-84 in Idaho.  Then get on ID 95 north and stop around Cascade - Lake Cascade State Park, McCall - Ponderosa State Park, Riggins - Canyon Pines RV or even Lewiston if you'd like to take a boat tour in Hell's Canyon. Hells Gate State Park is very nice and has shade. It's a hot area around Lewiston.  There are other RV parks in these areas.

From Lewiston (a big climb) take 95 north to Coeur D' Alene/Spokane - lots of choices to stay.  Continue north to I-90 and then 95 north to Montana Hwy 2 at Kalispell, MT and Glacier NP.

All is a beautiful drive!  We've drive all those roads with our 40' motorhome.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 7/19/2019 at 12:57 PM, 2gypsies said:

Take Oregon 97 north to OR26 east to I-84 in Idaho.  Then get on ID 95 north and stop around Cascade - Lake Cascade State Park, McCall - Ponderosa State Park, Riggins - Canyon Pines RV or even Lewiston if you'd like to take a boat tour in Hell's Canyon. Hells Gate State Park is very nice and has shade. It's a hot area around Lewiston.  There are other RV parks in these areas.

From Lewiston (a big climb) take 95 north to Coeur D' Alene/Spokane - lots of choices to stay.  Continue north to I-90 and then 95 north to Montana Hwy 2 at Kalispell, MT and Glacier NP.

All is a beautiful drive!  We've drive all those roads with our 40' motorhome.

It is a long drive from I-84 to Lewiston....but worth it.

From Lewiston....I would take Highway 12 over Lolo Pass and stop at Lochsa Lodge for dinner. Lots of FS campgrounds along the way, but you might be a little long for some of them. But you should be able to find a campsite.

Keep you gas tank topped off at all times.

From Missoula head north to Glacier Park.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com